David McGoldrick - joined Notts County

Ambitious

Would be an excellent signing. Was fairly productive last season in the Championship, with 2 goals and 4 assists largely off the bench. He’d be extremely dangerous in League One in my opinion. Could be a starter up front, allowing Barkhuizen to play on the RW and utilise Mendez-Laing more off the bench.

20 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Would be an excellent signing. Was fairly productive last season in the Championship, with 2 goals and 4 assists largely off the bench. He’d be extremely dangerous in League One in my opinion. Could be a starter up front, allowing Barkhuizen to play on the RW and utilise Mendez-Laing more off the bench.

I think Mendez-Laing will play off the left, rotating with Barkhuizen at times during games.

McGoldrick as the link up forward with Barkhuizen, Sibley & Mendez-Laing playing off him sounds pretty tasty for L1 if they can all stay fit.

Edited by Carnero

13 minutes ago, Carnero said:

I think Mendez-Laing will play off the left, rotating with Barkhuizen at times during games.

McGoldrick as the link up forward with Barkhuizen, Sibley & Mendez-Laing playing off him sounds pretty tasty for L1 if they can all stay fit.

I always thought Mendez-Laing mainly played on the right, maybe I’m wrong. I’m not convinced by him as a starter anyway, blows a bit too hot and cold. Barkhuizen I think will be a key player in League One on the other hand, always remember him being hard working, so should be well suited to the division.

McGoldrick and Barkhuizen would cause all sorts of problems with their physicality, exactly what we need right now. Sibley I’m still dubious about. I was told Rooney didn’t believe he’d make it as he lacked intelligence on the pitch, hence why he got very little game time under him. Whether Rosenior agrees with that view we will see. He’s clearly got natural talent, but he needs to apply it better.

Edited by Millenniumram

6 hours ago, Donegal Ram said:

Not for me. Just doesn't score enough goals. 

On DET site it said he scored prolifically last time he was in L1 which led to move to Ipswich part way through the season.

I agree at champ/prem his contribution has been smaller but there are quite a lot of examples of prolific L1 strikers (LeFondre, Fryatt, Marriott even) who have had multiple 20 goal seasons lower down but then get fewer higher up. If he stays fit I think he would score well if the wingers we have signed are any good.

9 minutes ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

On DET site it said he scored prolifically last time he was in L1 which led to move to Ipswich part way through the season.

I agree at champ/prem his contribution has been smaller but there are quite a lot of examples of prolific L1 strikers (LeFondre, Fryatt, Marriott even) who have had multiple 20 goal seasons lower down but then get fewer higher up. If he stays fit I think he would score well if the wingers we have signed are any good.

Averaged over 12 goals per 46 games in the Championship since he signed for Ipswich. Even last season when actually taking into account minutes played, he averaged about 1 goal per 5x90 minutes

6 hours ago, kingsy1884 said:

Not sure if McGoaldrough is the best signing. He has never been prolific. But he is experienced and that's what you need to get out this division. 

You need goals to get out of this division. We seriously lack creativity and players who can score consistently. If CKR stays then we don't need Mcgoldrick in my opinion. We need a prolific striker. 

12 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

You need goals to get out of this division. We seriously lack creativity and players who can score consistently. If CKR stays then we don't need Mcgoldrick in my opinion. We need a prolific striker. 

I think at this stage we just need players in general. We’re absolutely thread bare and seeing as the players were looking at are generally older it’s likely they will pick up injuries through the season. We need to be starting the season with at least 4 strikers IMO, going to stick my neck on the chopping block as well and say young jack stretton will get at least 10-15 goals next season if given the game time of course.

15 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

You wpuld expect there to be more creativity from the likes of Bird & Sibley when they drop a level, add Barkhuizen NML and mayne Hourihane there should be creativity there. Its easy to say we need a prolific striker but a striker can score for fun 1 season then barely but double figures the next. You would expect CKR & McGoldrick to do better in League 1 than they did in the Champ. Id take them 2 plus a younger player on loan, like Ellis Simms maybe.

18 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

Actually having 2 big centre forwards could be a assist in league one both be hard to handle and dont forget we got 3 cup competions as well this season.

1 minute ago, DCFC1388 said:

You wpuld expect there to be more creativity from the likes of Bird & Sibley when they drop a level, add Barkhuizen NML and mayne Hourihane there should be creativity there. Its easy to say we need a prolific striker but a striker can score for fun 1 season then barely but double figures the next. You would expect CKR & McGoldrick to do better in League 1 than they did in the Champ. Id take them 2 plus a younger player on loan, like Ellis Simms maybe.

Appentley james Chester signing from villa too.

All about options - how many times last season was CKR used to change matches or to fit a specific game plan. 

Wouldn't be surprised if Barkz plays up top occasionally and switches there later on in games

22 minutes ago, Rample said:

All about options - how many times last season was CKR used to change matches or to fit a specific game plan. 

Wouldn't be surprised if Barkz plays up top occasionally and switches there later on in games

Possibly although he has said he doesn't like playing up front on his own, it's not his best position