Rams vs Barnsley (A) Matchday Thread

angieram

14 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

I don’t think we missed him.  There was not much wrong with the midfield last night. We didnt have a forward line to speak of, we had a Captain as limp as a fortnight old lettuce, and a normally solid enough defence who last night on two occasions went on their holidays. 

Not sure Shinnie would have made a huge difference but the midfield was as poor as the rest of the team. In a tight and congested game, what Barnsley did well was move the ball quickly side to side into space, whereas we did everything so slowly it was easy for them to get across and cover. And far too often we turned back into a congested area and ended up losing it rather than turning out and spreading the play.

I don't remember Knight doing a great deal with the ball (though I was quite low down in the stand so sometimes hard to see at distance), while Morrison held onto it far too long and Bird was just short pass back or side. Lots of times the full backs were in plenty of space but it took too long to get the ball to them. We needed to be far more dynamic as a unit in midfield to positively impact the game. 

2 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

Not sure Shinnie would have made a huge difference but the midfield was as poor as the rest of the team. In a tight and congested game, what Barnsley did well was move the ball quickly side to side into space, whereas we did everything so slowly it was easy for them to get across and cover. And far too often we turned back into a congested area and ended up losing it rather than turning out and spreading the play.

I don't remember Knight doing a great deal with the ball (though I was quite low down in the stand so sometimes hard to see at distance), while Morrison held onto it far too long and Bird was just short pass back or side. Lots of times the full backs were in plenty of space but it took too long to get the ball to them. We needed to be far more dynamic as a unit in midfield to positively impact the game. 

I thought more than once that Shinnie and Bird wouldn't work, well it's clear it does work. That was obvious last night. Yes there were other problems, but...

11 minutes ago, AGR said:

Seriously what is the crack with all the Billy Sharp chants? Has he ever been accused of anything?

Had loads of Cavemen near me last night off their heads singing "She said no Billy" for ages. Embarrassing 

Totally embarrassing. They are just scum bags who all think they are living out the football factory. 
on the train on the way back to Sheffield they were calling out all the locals, making disgusting comments about any females on there and showing each other videos of themselves having sex…!!

I just don’t get It at all. I was hoping there was going to be a couple of hundred Blades fans at the station waiting for them, but sadly there wasn’t…but they did miss their connection to Derby so had to wait over an hour, which made my night a bit better. 

Three main things that killed us last night. Rotten luck, Poor decision making, and some ropey defending (mainly at left back). 

Rotten luck - Morrisons shot late on, couldn't have hit it better and low and behold they have a player getting in the way.... The other being hitting the bar, we just don't seem to get the breaks when attacking. 

Poor Decision making- Morrison shooting rather than passing into the channels for Byrne at least three times. they fallen out? Our ability to hold the ball up was awful as well and away from home that has to be something we get right. 

Defending- Even before conceding the goals we looked lazy and so out of sorts. The free header that Roos did really well to smoother was baffling that we just left him free. Fozzy on the second goal, looks laboured and not up to the speed of the game, Buchanan came on and just didnt get into it at all. Daft to give the freekick away second half and then what the rest of the back four were doing was strange for such levels of experience. 

Hard to stay positive but the fans were absolutely tremendous last night! Noise levels were constant! Lets stick together! 

52 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Totally embarrassing. They are just scum bags who all think they are living out the football factory. 
on the train on the way back to Sheffield they were calling out all the locals, making disgusting comments about any females on there and showing each other videos of themselves having sex…!!

I just don’t get It at all. I was hoping there was going to be a couple of hundred Blades fans at the station waiting for them, but sadly there wasn’t…but they did miss their connection to Derby so had to wait over an hour, which made my night a bit better. 

Glad to hear they missed their connections. I'm going to have to give Sheff Utd at home a miss as it will be too embarrassing to witness. Hopefully they get a good hiding soon

8 hours ago, S8TY said:

Defensively shakey tonight and Barnsley deserved there win 

they had a younger side than us tonight and it showed against some ageing legs 

also Morrison …yes a good player but he does seem to over complicate things when an easy through ball is on it’s all well and good seeing a thread of the needle pass when it’s required but tonight again he delayed the obvious pass to try and do something different I wasn’t impressed tonight 

Lawrence tries but actually doesn’t do much and poor old Fozzy had a stinker aided by a keeper beaten at his near post 

I’m glad Morrison is not eligible for Millwall but it needs to improve as it’s very worrying how we seem to have gone backwards in last few games

also Rooney was right to criticise the performance after but the problem is he really doesn’t have many different options to change things about 

I’m starting to wonder if the others are starting to get ****ed off with him. Byrne looked pretty peed off a couple of times during the Blackburn game having bust a gut to get into an attacking position only for Morrison to ignore him and give it away cheaply, and it’s not just Byrne.

We’ve seen a decrease in movement from the players in the last couple of games, wonder if this is having an effect? Why bother going the extra yards to show for it when you’re only going to get ignored?

Hopefully the midfield of Bird, Knight and Shinnie will improve matters in the final third!

Thoughts about yesterday. 
Barnsley did well using the wings and using the space. Derby showed time and time again poor control of the ball and poor decision making- Morrison shooting outside the box with Byrne an obvious overlap twice, our defender showing their attacker onto strong foot for their first goal, Buchanan two minds giving away free kick which led to goal, not picking up attacker for their second goal. They shouldn’t have had a one on one from a free kick near half way line. Play like that, relegation will be certain. However hopefully Derby can learn from this, work on their control, movement and passing and decision making.

Really poor apart from the last few minutes. Unlucky hitting the bar but we need to create more clear cut chances then luck will change. All disappointing. Ebosele looks a first team player already though, looked dangerous going forward.  
Fair play to Barnsley, they just seemed to have a bit more fight about them where it counted. 

Edited by TheresOnlyWanChope

3 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

I thought more than once that Shinnie and Bird wouldn't work, well it's clear it does work. That was obvious last night. Yes there were other problems, but...

Yes I think so, I agree in that I always thought we didn't need both, until we started pushing the full backs really high, when having 2 DMs became vital. We saw last night with them hitting the space in behind where the full backs were how vital it was to have cover there. 

2 hours ago, 'Rambe33 said:

Three main things that killed us last night. Rotten luck, Poor decision making, and some ropey defending (mainly at left back). 

Rotten luck - Morrisons shot late on, couldn't have hit it better and low and behold they have a player getting in the way.... The other being hitting the bar, we just don't seem to get the breaks when attacking. 

Poor Decision making- Morrison shooting rather than passing into the channels for Byrne at least three times. they fallen out? Our ability to hold the ball up was awful as well and away from home that has to be something we get right. 

Defending- Even before conceding the goals we looked lazy and so out of sorts. The free header that Roos did really well to smoother was baffling that we just left him free. Fozzy on the second goal, looks laboured and not up to the speed of the game, Buchanan came on and just didnt get into it at all. Daft to give the freekick away second half and then what the rest of the back four were doing was strange for such levels of experience. 

Hard to stay positive but the fans were absolutely tremendous last night! Noise levels were constant! Lets stick together! 

The shot hitting the bar from Buchanan - I look at this another way - he should have buried that and not getting the shot on target was poor.

Morrison shooting, especially the one just after half time - I would have taken him off immediately. That was criminal. You'll get to the point where players actually won't bother making the run because he won't pass it.

Buchanan giving the free kick away which led to their second goal - OMG - he dallied on the ball, admittedly without many options, for a long time before losing it, pulling their player back and then getting booked.

3 hours ago, VulcanRam said:

I thought Bird played well last night, some good forward passes. a rare bright spark…

19 minutes ago, rammieib said:

The shot hitting the bar from Buchanan - I look at this another way - he should have buried that and not getting the shot on target was poor.

Morrison shooting, especially the one just after half time - I would have taken him off immediately. That was criminal. You'll get to the point where players actually won't bother making the run because he won't pass it.

Buchanan giving the free kick away which led to their second goal - OMG - he dallied on the ball, admittedly without many options, for a long time before losing it, pulling their player back and then getting booked.

Shot? Header wasn’t it?

We could always try going for the manager bounce, like Barnsley just did. But with a bit of cunning thrown in - we sack Rooney after the match, so the team will show up and fight, and the  re-instate him just before the next kick-off, and repeat to the end of the season. Play-offs, here we come!

The bounce definitely played its part for Barnsley last night, but either Rooney has lost the players, they are  weighed down by the uncertainty, or they are burned out from the expectation of having to play way above their capability every match.

Last night I had the pleasure of Radio Derby for the first half and Rams TV for the second half.

Mostly my observations will match what has already been said, but .........

Expanding what I have already said about Sibley, I was sad to see Baldock starting last night. Given my feelings at that moment I knew he would score, but he actually did little else. Yes his running does pull the defence around a bit, but the number of times the attack fizzled out with the ball at his feet was frustrating. It seems as long as he is fit his name is second only to Tom Lawrence for going on to the team sheet, and his net effectiveness is pretty much the same. Young Louie is running out of time, but he needs to start at Number 10 playing off CKR for a few games. Ironically wasn’t CKR the player that Sibbers actually replaced?

I was also disappointed with Morrison. He is clearly a natural footballer, but his vision is lacking. Perhaps he could do with some glasses, or a few carrots for night matches! So many times he turns away from the obvious out-ball to someone in wide open space and the move breaks down.

Well, talking of ability to see: having had a number of pairs of glasses and a box of carrots taken away from me earlier this week it looked like the ref did all right last night! Just one issue - there was one Barnsley defender - fair-haired and somewhat neanderthal was eventually booked, but should have had a second for arguing with the ref about it, and should have had another yellow when he took Ebosele out right near the end. His only redeeming feature was that the way he tried to conceal the foul was actually quite intelligent! But yeah, the ref was ok last night!

Another shout out for the fans last night, who were stupendous yet again. They quietened towards the end, and apparently hardly anyone applauded the team off at the end. But well done you fans!

And that Max Bird - keep your eye on him, he seems quite a prospect!

Edited by DavesaRam

35 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

We could always try going for the manager bounce, like Barnsley just did. But with a bit of cunning thrown in - we sack Rooney after the match, so the team will show up and fight, and the  re-instate him just before the next kick-off, and repeat to the end of the season. Play-offs, here we come!

The bounce definitely played its part for Barnsley last night, but either Rooney has lost the players, they are  weighed down by the uncertainty, or they are burned out from the expectation of having to play way above their capability every match.

Last night I had the pleasure of Radio Derby for the first half and Rams TV for the second half.

Expanding what I have already said about Sibley, I was sad to see Baldock starting last night. Given my feelings at that moment I knew he would score, but he actually did little else. Yes his running does pull the defence around a bit, but the number of times the attack fizzled out with the ball at his feet was frustrating. It seems as long as he is fit his name is second only to Tom Lawrence for going on to the team sheet, and his net effectiveness is pretty much the same. Young Louie is running out of time, but he needs to start at Number 10 playing off CKR for a few games. Ironically wasn’t CKR the player that Sibbers actually replaced?

I was also disappointed with Morrison. He is clearly a natural footballer, but his vision is lacking. Perhaps he could do with some glasses, or a few carrots for night matches! So many times he turns away from the obvious out-ball to someone in wide open space and the move breaks down.

Well, talking of ability to see: having had a number of pairs of glasses and a box of carrots taken away from me earlier this week it looked like the ref did all right last night! Just one issue - there was one Barnsley defender - fair-haired and somewhat neanderthal was eventually booked, but should have had a second for arguing with the ref about it, and should have had another yellow when he took Ebosele out right near the end. His only redeeming feature was that the way he tried to conceal the foul was actually quite intelligent! But yeah, the ref was ok last night!

Another shout out for the fans last night, who were stupendous yet again. They quietened towards the end, and apparently hardly anyone applauded the team off at the end. But well done you fans!

As much as it must pain you to write it, yes, he had a good game. Cottoned on early to their keeper time wasting which helped and generally ran the game well. 

I was one of those who didn't applaud the team off last night, simply because they didn't deserve it after such an abject display. Just headed for the exit. There were quite a few boos coming from up above in the stand as well. At Barnsley the players have to walk past the away end to get to the tunnel, which is in the corner, and its fair to say several scarpered straight off, heads down. 

4 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

Short videos I guess? ?

57 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

Totally agree about Morrison…and Bird…