Do you support English clubs in Champions league?

ziggyram59

From a Scottish point of view I'm supporting whoever Rangers or Celtic are playing Europe. 

The bigger the hammering the better, especially at Ibrox or Parkhead. 

It's even funnier when it's done by relative minnows. 

The only time I waiver is when they come up against English opposition. Then I'm happy for the spoils to be shared. 

Hardly ever watch a Champions league game, MOD, PL game missed most of the England v Hungary game the other week.

I just find it hard to get motivated these days bit like sex now I am older but the other way around, I’ve just not got the motivation to get ……….

Edited by cstand

Used to love watching Man United on ITV, was never a fan where it emotionally hurt or anything if they lost, but I wanted them to win. 

I rarely watch European games now, if Liverpool are on when Derby don't have a game I will probably watch, they are the most entertaining team to watch by a mile at the minute.

Have no interest in Man City or Chelsea games, although like to see Mason Mount do well. Don't find either particularly entertaining to watch and the combined money those two have spent is ludicrous.

Yes others have spent, but they have been big clubs for a number of years, numerous titles but these overnight successes are a turn off.

Outside of England I can't be the only one to want this PSG team to fail miserably in Europe.

15 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Yes and no. I love Messi.

Nothing against Messi, he took the money like we all would.

Like when Pep took over at Man City, I wish he took on a Arsenal, not a club which appears to have unlimited money cheat activated and untouchable. 

Not that my real issue is spending money, it's more that some appear to be above the rules and unpunished whilst others have to fight the system (nothing to do with Derby here btw)

57 minutes ago, David said:

Nothing against Messi, he took the money like we all would.

Like when Pep took over at Man City, I wish he took on a Arsenal, not a club which appears to have unlimited money cheat activated and untouchable. 

Not that my real issue is spending money, it's more that some appear to be above the rules and unpunished whilst others have to fight the system (nothing to do with Derby here btw)

Harsh to say Messi took the money at PSG.

There were clearly more defining factors to move to PSG, such as the chance to win another CL while playing with Neymar and a host of other Argentine players again. 

Each big club is favoured one way or another. I think it’s a little hypocritical to lay the finger at City or Chelsea while clubs like Man Utd were breaking transfer records left, right and centre under SAF.

The PL would have turned into the Bundesliga a long time ago had it not been for Chelsea and City. United were that dominant in every way possible once Arsenal started with their new stadium. Only outside money made it competitive.

56 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Harsh to say Messi took the money at PSG.

There were clearly more defining factors to move to PSG, such as the chance to win another CL while playing with Neymar and a host of other Argentine players again. 

Each big club is favoured one way or another. I think it’s a little hypocritical to lay the finger at City or Chelsea while clubs like Man Utd were breaking transfer records left, right and centre under SAF.

The PL would have turned into the Bundesliga a long time ago had it not been for Chelsea and City. United were that dominant in every way possible once Arsenal started with their new stadium. Only outside money made it competitive.

I wasn't knocking Messi for it, would do the same. He has absolutely nothing to prove anymore, I would have loved to see him in the PL, but even then it would have only been realistically Man City he went to.

Why take less money for a challenge, doesn't make sense. 

As for Man Utd, they bring in the revenue to spend that kind of money and have an academy which was producing quality players, where as City they are a miles behind. Pep the other week asking the fans to turn up, get behind the team. 

They've grown too big, too soon in a 2 team city where your rivals already are well established in the Asian markets.

It's going to take time to become a real force, bring in revenues outside sponsorship deals through state money.

Notice Man City abstained from voting against the new rule regarding sponsorships the other day. I have no doubts they will find ways around it, and I have no issues as such with spending.

It's just how some appear to be above the rules.

2 hours ago, TimRam said:

I remember those European nights on 'Sportsnight' when each game meant something. To be honest, it's been watered down so much that I don't really follow it now. Apart from the odd one or two, seems to be the same teams now every season.

I will always remember when we hammered Real Madrid at The Baseball Ground and then went home to watch it on Sportsnight on BBC, a fantastic night and a great programme. Good memories. 

On 22/10/2021 at 08:08, David said:

I wasn't knocking Messi for it, would do the same. He has absolutely nothing to prove anymore, I would have loved to see him in the PL, but even then it would have only been realistically Man City he went to.

Why take less money for a challenge, doesn't make sense. 

As for Man Utd, they bring in the revenue to spend that kind of money and have an academy which was producing quality players, where as City they are a miles behind. Pep the other week asking the fans to turn up, get behind the team. 

They've grown too big, too soon in a 2 team city where your rivals already are well established in the Asian markets.

It's going to take time to become a real force, bring in revenues outside sponsorship deals through state money.

Notice Man City abstained from voting against the new rule regarding sponsorships the other day. I have no doubts they will find ways around it, and I have no issues as such with spending.

It's just how some appear to be above the rules.

Man Utd were spending big before they became the force they became in the late 90s onwards. It's not like SAF built a side from nothing. Football was different back in those days though.

I think both Chelsea and City bring in the revenue to fund their spending now. Sure they had to make a huge investment at the start, but I'm pretty sure they're both self sustainable now.

It was reported that should Abramovic sell Chelsea today, he would recoup all of his investment and make over £500m in profit. That's a staggering stat given how much his initial outlay was.

Also an indication of how ridiculous player prices are these days. Chelsea probably have a squad with a combined value of about £1bn.

Edited by Bris Vegas

2 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Man Utd were spending big before they became the force they became in the late 90s onwards. It's not like SAF built a side from nothing.

I looked at some figures a number of years back. Although it's by no means a comprehensive view of the state of play and I can't remember the source of the figures, I was a bit surprised.

Man Utd got lucky with some very good academy players, but from 1992-1998 they actually had a negative net spend on transfer fees; you could say that they didn't have to spend big because of said youth players and universal marketing revenue, etc, and as it's only net spend  it doesn't mean they didn't sign players for big money during that time, or pay bigger wages than others.

Add 1999 into it and their net spend was £25m, compared to Liverpool's £36.63m and Arsenal's £35.6m over the same 7 year period.

I know people like to think that Man Utd only dominated because they outspending others but it isn't necessarily the case.

They did make some big signings in the few years before 1992 but I'm not sure how much in comparison to anyone else.

Edited by Coconut's Beard

On 22/10/2021 at 12:05, David said:

Used to love watching Man United on ITV, was never a fan where it emotionally hurt or anything if they lost, but I wanted them to win. 

I rarely watch European games now, if Liverpool are on when Derby don't have a game I will probably watch, they are the most entertaining team to watch by a mile at the minute.

Have no interest in Man City or Chelsea games, although like to see Mason Mount do well. Don't find either particularly entertaining to watch and the combined money those two have spent is ludicrous.

Yes others have spent, but they have been big clubs for a number of years, numerous titles but these overnight successes are a turn off.

Outside of England I can't be the only one to want this PSG team to fail miserably in Europe.

About 90% of France do. The Qataris are a lot worse than the Man city owners, at least they have helped regenaration in Manchester, the Qataris have done jack. Besides that they have completely ruined the french league. The only positive thing i would say is that they did not join the ESL back in April.

On 21/10/2021 at 15:46, ziggyram59 said:

Does anyone support want to see Premier League clubs do well in Europe? Apart from Liverpool who I quite like watching because I like Klopp and there players I couldn't care less about Man City, Man United and especially Chelsea who I hate. Be interested in people's thought's. 

No

Slightly off topic but noticed the difference between itv 4 replays of 'The Big Match' compared to now. It's like watching a fifa game with the rows of fans, perfect pitches and fast passing these days! Bring back the mud (and the band).