Do you support English clubs in Champions league?

ziggyram59

Does anyone support want to see Premier League clubs do well in Europe? Apart from Liverpool who I quite like watching because I like Klopp and there players I couldn't care less about Man City, Man United and especially Chelsea who I hate. Be interested in people's thought's. 

I pay no attention to the European competitions at this stage as they're so dragged out just to end up with the same selection of clubs come the Q/F's & S/F's.

I'll watch the final and like you, happy to back Liverpool if they're in it, would have cheered on Spurs too if they hadn't been playing Liverpool.

I'd rather see the other English clubs lose in all honesty, if we can't have nice things then why should I want anyone else to have them!!

Edited by Carnero

I genuinely can't remember the last time I watched a Champions League match. For me, it's basically a load of multi-millionaire footballers with whom I have no affinity playing another load of multi-millionaire footballers with whom I have no affinity; which country the respective teams are based in is irrelevant. The fact that one team might be English has no bearing on that; I couldn't care less. I quite enjoy it if Man Utd go out at an early stage though.

20 minutes ago, ziggyram59 said:

It will get to the point soon when the top 10 clubs in England will be demanding they be entered into a new Champions League such is the greed for the game, and were getting done by the EFL on FFP/Overspending it shows you the mockery the game as become. 

The Champions League has already turned into a part Super League anyway the moment they allowed the top 4 clubs from England, Spain, Italy and Germany to automatically qualify.

Once they did that, those clubs can then regularly pocket the earnings, meaning more money to buy the best players and distance themselves from the rest.

There is no chance of any other league breaking into the coefficient top four rankings now as the gap between clubs like Lyon, Monaco, Marseille, Porto, Benfica, Ajax, PSV, Anderlecht, Brugges etc and the rest is simply massive now.

The CL also made it that no team from the same nation can be in the same group, while league winners are seeded 1st and the 2nd seeds are the next best. Again, this means that the top two in each group will be a mixture of the best clubs from the best leagues.

As Carnero mentioned above, this stage of the CL is drawn out and boring. Sure you may get a shock result along the way and some big clubs facing each other, but we all know the last 16 will be made up of Real Madrid, Bayern, PSG, Man City, Liverpool, Atletico, Barcelona, Chelsea, Juve, Dortmund just like it is every year.

No, not because they're nominally English at least. If I like a team because of the way they play, then maybe.

It seemed different back in the days when you could argue that the clubs who made it to these competitions were representing the nation, but that isn't really the case anymore. In the last round of group games 24 of the 63 players fielded by the English sides were British, and none of the managers or owners were.

58 minutes ago, ziggyram59 said:

Does anyone support want to see Premier League clubs do well in Europe? Apart from Liverpool who I quite like watching because I like Klopp and there players I couldn't care less about Man City, Man United and especially Chelsea who I hate. Be interested in people's thought's. 

Not really. I hardly watch any of it now but that's more down to the fact that it's not on ITV now. 

1 hour ago, ziggyram59 said:

I still kind of do. I don’t watch the games religiously or anything, but if an English team gets to the final, I’ll support them. Likewise, if they lose, I’ll laugh heartily. Such is football. 

it goes in this order in any sporting competitions:

- My house,

- my street,

- mickleover (not my village, but where I grew up, I would have a oft spot for my village though)

- Derby,

- Derbyshire,

- East Midlands (so yes, I would support Nottingham in an ice hockey match, for example, or Leicester Tigers, Forest is always the exception though),

- midlands (ie if villa were in an fa cup final against a northern or southern team, I’d support villa),

- england,

- Great Britain,

- united kingdom,

- europe (this gets a bit sketchier, I’d mostly support a European team against another team in the World Cup, but if it’s Germany vs Paraguay or something, then I love a good underdog story too, at this point it’s possible to be a bit more neutral),

- the world (in Space Jam, for example).

Like a kid writing his address.

I genuinely feel that if an English club does well, it speaks to the quality of football in England throughout the whole pyramid, and ensures more and more people want to be part of it. Just like Derby winning something lifts the whole city, england winning something lifts the whole country, an English team winning something says ‘this is the place to be’, which benefits everyone, even if it’s just a little bit.

Pretty sure when Chelsea won the CL in 2012 the only English players they had playing were Lampard and Cole with their Russian owner, Italian manager and Japanese sponsors.

I think it was different years ago.

I remember enjoying Man Utd beat the likes of Bayern, Juve and Real Madrid 20 years ago when they had a very core English side, and as England only had one or two representatives in the CL, it felt like they were representing the nation’s best.

It’s a different competition these days.

I’ll just wait for the 1/4 finals onwards and watch the games involving City, Liverpool, Bayern and PSG if they are playing each other.

I can remember watching Forest in their 2 finals ( i dont know if you know or not but they won it twice, back to back too) anyway, I remember being a little kid watching them in the time when there was 3 games on live a season and asking my dad if I have to support Forest in the final...he said I did, so I did, and I remember being happy they won it. (both times-Im not sure if you know or not but they actually won it twice  back to back too)

Now, I could not care less about the competition.... I wouldnt mind seeing Manchester United win it, but they wont, I would watch the games from the semi final 2nd leg onwards and that would depend on who was left in the competion.

The issue I think is that there is no under dog anymore, as @Bris Vegas said you can predict almost all of the last 16, certainly all of the last 8 etc.

The sooner they all go off to play their crappy little tournament on Mars the better for everyone.

Na. When it was on itv I'd watch it because it was on, but it's not something i'd make any effort to watch.

With PL clubs consistently being at the sharp end of the competition it's not like it's supporting a plucky underdog either.

I can appreciate a good team when i see one, but i don't feel any kind of kinship with the top premier clubs in the CL.

I use to feel a sense of nationalistic pride when any English team, bar the gumps, did well in Europe. But that was when these teams were mainly made up of British players. 

Now I only take a passing interest in the results of English teams in Europe. Due to the amount of none British players in many of these teams. I now look at these teams as purely elitist clubs that are more interested in making money than they are representing their country when they compete in Europe.

No. It only gets interesting in February. Whats on now is just to make sure the big clubs fill their pockets with meaningless games then complain that their players are overplayed when called for international duty.. In the CL they used to, and probably still are paid, per point gained as well getting into the competition. The only reason for that is that top clubs do not field weakened teams and devalue the group stages. It would not a good look wouldd it, look what's happened to the FA cup. Greedy barstewards the lot of them.

No interest really, I have a bias toward Liverpool if they make the final but with it not being on TV I don't particularly get bothered about it, not til the semis at least. I don't have SKY or BT so only really watch highlights.

I can still name the Celtic team that won in 1967 and the Man Utd team in 1968 because I was a complete football geek as a youngster but the league format has killed all excitement for me. 

Gutted when the gumps fluked their wins against teams no one has ever heard of, always happy when Man Utd lose a final, no emotion if its Citeh or Chelsea playing, thats all down to a lifetime of personal interactions with fans of those clubs rather than the clubs themselves.

5 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Gutted when the gumps fluked their wins against teams no one has ever heard of...

TBF, I'd heard of the second one.  Partly due to the fact that Keegan had gone there, so it was big news, and partly due to hamburgers still being a thing then.  I liked hamburgers!  

The Malmo game will always be associated with personal memories for me... and not in a good way...as I watched it alone on a little B&W portable in a holiday chalet in Mablethorpe, as a 16 year old. 
Very much out of character, Mum literally spent the whole week in bed with "tummy ache" (first time I'd ever known her to be unwell, and first time I'd known Dad go a whole week without laughing, or making someone else laugh!).  It took until the August Bank Holiday to find out the problem, by which time it was "too late to do anything about it", and the Big C took her away a couple of weeks later, in mid September. 

A terrible, terrible year, in more ways than one, and I find it very difficult to hold back from blaming Trevor Francis for it all!  ?