Ryan Conway has left the Athletic

Day

I liked him, sorry to see him go.

He struck a nice balance between the serious stuff, and the lighter side of the game, and his articles on race and racism, and mental health, were eye opening and thought provoking.

Yet my favourite will always be his day with Private Derby, muddy cowboy boots and all.

Cheers Ryan, hope you stay involved, but most of all I hope you're well.

All the best to Ryan. He was a good value on Twitter, despite not subscribing to the Athletic, he was very visible and seemed passionate. It's never nice when personal reasons stop people from doing their jobs. 

I hope he gets the opportunity to report on a much less chaotic entity than Derby County in his next role, something like the Taliban's takeover of Afghanistan & the middle east. 

6 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

West Brom fan. When The Athletic launched they hired some high-profile reporters who were fans of the teams they covered whereas we got Ryan Conway. Is it better for a correspondent to also love the club, or would people rather they had no connection with us until given the job?

Objectivity is key when it comes to quality journalism so I'd argue that no connection is better than being a supporter. On the flipside, a journalist with a connection with the club is likely to have a much better contacts book - George Caulkin, Amy Lawrence spring to mind - so can produce better exclusive content. So I guess both have pros and cons.

15 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

West Brom fan. When The Athletic launched they hired some high-profile reporters who were fans of the teams they covered whereas we got Ryan Conway. Is it better for a correspondent to also love the club, or would people rather they had no connection with us until given the job?

I'd generally say not being connected is probably better, just from the prespective of being objective and not being too emotionally wrapped in the club you're reporting on. That's not to say they wont or don't care, but it's always different when it's "your" club.