Rams vs Reading Matchday Thread

Bwash_Ram

These new short highlights are absolutely rubbish and don't really show half of what happened, but... this chance which was well worked, and actually a good dummy by Lawrence really shows a change in him. You can see his frustration start after it got blocked, then the sudden realisation of what he now has to do this season. Quite a good example. (circa 1 minute into the highlights)

7 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

So really all the argy bargy over the accounting policy was about 4 points. 

I thought it was the case that we had amended the accounting policy back to straight line amortisation a while back? 

In which case MM and IP must have known that we were going to cop for a points deduction in respect of the more recent years which amounts to 5+3 =8 points under this restated schedule, but which had we not had to rework historic accounts might have been higher! 

Perhaps a case of a bit of deflection by MM by focussing attention on the historic issue as opposed to the more recent overspend..... 

The argy bargy right now will be regarding all failed periods, not just 1.

As far as I know, we hadn't changed. Certainly not until forced to restate the accounts by the IDC(2). Even then I believe we simply used a new amortisation method altogether and it wasn't until we sat down with the EFL to discuss it that a decision was made to stick to a standard method, hence talk about the retrospective penalty.

We had already completed the 18/19 and half way through the 19/20 season when charged. We would(should) have been working to a budget suitable for the amortisation policy we had in place, although you could argue budgets for seasons 20/21 should be set to cover the possibility of being 'stuck' with the worst policy for our position.
Given a lot of the overspending was a result of 15/16, we should be at a stage where it would now benefit our current P&S position if we were to change back. Ironically, I believe we would have been looking at a much bigger penalty if Gibson hadn't stuck his nose into things - rather than 12 points over the periods up to and including 2021, I estimate 19 instead.

48 minutes ago, Srg said:

These new short highlights are absolutely rubbish and don't really show half of what happened, but... this chance which was well worked, and actually a good dummy by Lawrence really shows a change in him. You can see his frustration start after it got blocked, then the sudden realisation of what he now has to do this season. Quite a good example. (circa 1 minute into the highlights)

Ah the bit where he overplays (again)

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

As far as I know, we hadn't changed. Certainly not until forced to restate the accounts by the IDC(2). Even then I believe we simply used a new amortisation method altogether and it wasn't until we sat down with the EFL to discuss it that a decision was made to stick to a standard method, hence talk about the retrospective penalty.

We had already completed the 18/19 and half way through the 19/20 season when charged. We would(should) have been working to a budget suitable for the amortisation policy we had in place, although you could argue budgets for seasons 20/21 should be set to cover the possibility of being 'stuck' with the worst policy for our position.
Given a lot of the overspending was a result of 15/16, we should be at a stage where it would now benefit our current P&S position if we were to change back. Ironically, I believe we would have been looking at a much bigger penalty if Gibson hadn't stuck his nose into things - rather than 12 points over the periods up to and including 2021, I estimate 19 instead.

Well the administrators are a bunch of accountants so they should actually know what’s correct or not.

28 minutes ago, Eatonram said:

Any footage of the pen appeal? Couldn't see from where I was.

I'd booked row AA of C block in the South stand and we saw it clear as anything -- it was definitely a hand ball. A shot had come in from the SW corner and hit one of their players (Baba??) who was standing about 10-15 yards to the right of the goal. Everyone erupted in anger and that's obviously when the chants against the ref started.

9 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Another thoroughly enjoyable very watchable game. The fight and commitment from the players is fantastic, all 18k fans were right behind - when we were up against the support only grew. 

But isn’t just fight and commitment, the football is actually really good to watch, despite everything going on off the pitch, the product on it is about as good as it’s been for some time. Just need to be more clinical.

Everyone says time to judge after 10-15 games. Well we’ve had some tough matches now and after 10 games without the points deduction we would be 10th, and the football is a good watch. Can’t really complain at that for a squad many had written off even with no points deductions.

We can’t control what happens with additional points deductions, what we’re doing may not be enough to survive but we certainly cannot ask any more than they are giving right now, still think it will take more points deductions to relegate us.

I don’t suppose it’s psychologically possible, but in a sense we need to stop looking at the league table, thinking about League 1 or whatever.  We need to treat each game as a unique contest on its own merits. Give our support and take our pleasure on an individual day’s entertainment.  Do that, and we can have a cracking season with this team. They have spirit, commitment in spades and an enjoyable skill level. We won’t survive more than the 12; relegation is inevitable with any more than that … but I sense, up to now, that these boys want to display what they’ve got every week and lay down some blood sweat and tears … I’m with them all the way whatever the next 9 months brings. They can write some real history and be part of our story. There are the cup winners, the league winners, let’s have the great deduction warriors team of 2021/2022 !  

To modify a Fawlty Towers scene: "Don't mention the ref. I did once, but I think I got away with it". 

The word "Once" may be a slight understatement, and comments on here would suggest that actually I haven't got away with it! But you get my drift.

I had contemplated two match reports this time: one for the match officials , and one for the actual footy. There have been a humungous amount of comments about Reading's match officials, with most issues being well covered. We used to boo refs off the pitch, even at half time on occasion, but have become normalised to their incompetence, but there was a "boooing" last night. The officlas were rther wise, timing their exit while the Rams were getting their applause from the South Standers. At last they kept up their "one blatant penalty appeal per match turned down" statistic.

For the match itself - what an awesome display by our players last night. The amount of commitment, energy and attitude was tremendous. It is hard to fault any of the players. Even Allsop - his first two saves were excellent, yet somehow left me feeling nervous, but in reality that was just in my head - he was faultless. And no-one had a poor game. We used Forsyth's height a lot as on "out" tactic, and he won most of his headers out on the wing. 

I felt it was touch and go between Shinnie and Morrison for man of the match last night. Shinnie was his usual self, but seems to have been working on his passing, because he played several brilliant through balls. Similarly, some of the through balls invented by Morrison were out of this world. Not slighting our own players, but Premier League players may well have read them and been on the end of them, but it is clearly something we are working on. Excellent. Stretton demonstrated his potential last night, and was in the right pllace at the righ time many times last night. All we need to do is get the ball through to him - a case in point was late on in the game when To  Lawrence broke through in the inside left (there's a term from the past!), and could have plut a diagonal ball in to Stretton, who wouldn't have been able to miss. Tom choose to shoot instead. No complaints from me - many times we have wanted our players to shoot, and they have gone on th pass the ball instead, and last night every time we got the ball in midfield, there were cries of "SHOOT", so no worries for me when our player are starting to want to shoot more.

And the fans were awesome, probably the best we have been this season, and that is some achievement!

Was the reffing evidence of an EFL agenda? Well, unless someone comes up with a recording, or a letter, instructing the refs to "do us", we can't say, but with the decisions being so blatant, and so regular, you have to wonder. Here's another one, which is much more subtle: the refs can't wait to hand out cards like its our birthday - there were another four last night, with only one justifiable, adn eventually they mount up. I would think Shinnie is getting close to a ban, for instance. So soon, Rooney won't just be having to manage his mini-squad because of fitness and injuries, but because we will start seeing players being banned for their yellow card count. Very hard to pin down until the bans start coming,  but very  disruptive when they do start. Just a thought!

And Mr Rooney. What a guy! It's almost as though the coaching course includes a section on diplomacy, because the way he is handling his press conferences is quite astounding. He is ribbed for his audible pausations, but he always says the right things. For example, he was asked recently how he felt when he walked past someone who was going to lose their job, and he replied instantly "You don't walk past them you talk to them"! Last night's post-match interview he was smiling and grinning, and long may that continue!

I'm a very happy boy because after several years of being underwhelmed, I am well happy with the way the team is playing, and with their attitude.

COME ON YOU RAMS!

5 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

They were not brothere until gibson kicked off about he worest banker and that me being nice about him.