Rams vs Reading Matchday Thread

Bwash_Ram

7 hours ago, ilkleyram said:

You are correct. And a fair enough decision unlike most of the others - not only was he poor but he was also inconsistent. Stearman challenged him on at least two occasions about why he’d been booked when similar offences from Reading players went unpunished.

Good to have a bit of Led Zeppelin at half time.

Hadn't heard that one for ages. Reminds me of the Black Rocks in Cromford.

The next 6-8 games present a genuine opportunity for us to make ground on the teams above us.

If we can build momentum and get into that winning habit, I am not sure the players will even be concerned by another points deduction.

This is largely a very poor league and points are there to be won in every game. There are three very good teams, yes, but generally no-one to fear.

Coventry being in 4th and getting smashed 5-0 by Luton tells us everything we need to know.

I feared for us after Birmingham away. We made a fairly average team look good. But the response since then has been very encouraging and unlike earlier in the season, we are not just competing and battling but also digging in and getting good results to match.

The odds are stacked against us, but the players and the coaching staff have responded exactly how we would have wanted.

Another win on Saturday? Why not?

Edited by Jourdan

21 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

The next 6-8 games present a genuine opportunity for us to make ground on the teams above us.

If we can build momentum and get into that winning habit, I am not sure the players will even be concerned by another points deduction.

This is largely a very poor league and points are there to be won in every game. There are three very good teams, yes, but generally no-one to fear.

Coventry being in 4th and getting smashed 5-0 by Luton tells us everything we need to know.

I feared for us after Birmingham away. We made a fairly average team look good. But the response since then has been very encouraging and unlike earlier in the season, we are not just competing and battling but also digging in and getting good results to match.

The odds are stacked against us, but the players and the coaching staff have responded exactly how we would have wanted.

Ok admit it

Who has hacked Jourdan's login and written something positive to annoy him?

A well deserved win against a poor Reading team, Why were Reading poor...because we made them look poor, Our hassling them when they were trying to play from the back...is something we're fully aware of, A couple of dicey moments with CD playing their man in and a free header that was put wide, Allsop was steady, He had very little to do, A couple of shots theat were dealt with, Pleased for Forsyth that header and placement wasn't easy, Back 4 resiliant, Shinnie and Bird looked in command, Morrison and Knight were excellent, Baldock struggles as a lone striker but doesa a job, Lawrence looked better than his usual self, That freekick that sailed over the bar by a good margin made my eyes go ?, Nice to see us in the plus bracket.

A special mention to the fool in the middle, There was a time yonks ago when English refs were the envy of the world, Now we can't even scrape the barrell, Not a problem with Stearman being booked, I have a problem when he lets their player off for doing the same, The handball and Morrison being fouled on the edge of the box...another day another ref and it's a Pen and a freekick, His overall handling was poor, What were fouls on us were overlooked, But fouls on them were given, Cobstantly in Allsops ear 2nd half for his slow recovery of the ball, Not into conspiracy theories...but my was he poor.

10 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

How much of an impact did the traffic issues have? Do we deserve a club if so few go in our hour of need? I didn't go but I don't own a car and can't get back to London after a midweek game. But I feel guilty. Will more come if these battling performances continue? Yet the crowd, when reduced to these numbers as in times gone by, is at their most supportive of the team. As gates swell, it often mutes them, and the moaners return. Is it better right now to have the hard core players and fans in it together? Us against the world.

I'd rather look at it another way. Home crowds are increasing game by game. Against Huddersfield there were about 12/13,000 home fans. Now we're up to 18,000. If you discount to zero or count the same number of away fans for the Stoke/Reading games, there was actually a bigger home support for Weds night v Reading than there was a Sat v Stoke, which is remarkable. 

On the second point, absolutely. It's much, much better with a smaller crowd of supporting fans than with a larger one which contains thousands of whingers. I'm loving this season so far. 

3 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

I'd rather look at it another way. Home crowds are increasing game by game. Against Huddersfield there were about 12/13,000 home fans. Now we're up to 18,000. If you discount to zero or count the same number of away fans for the Stoke/Reading games, there was actually a bigger home support for Weds night v Reading than there was a Sat v Stoke, which is remarkable. 

On the second point, absolutely. It's much, much better with a smaller crowd of supporting fans than with a larger one which contains thousands of whingers. I'm loving this season so far. 

It certainly felt/looked like more last night. I'd have said it seemed more like 21/22k. Was very surprised to see the attendance. We laid off the person who tallies it up?

54 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

A well deserved win against a poor Reading team, Why were Reading poor...because we made them look poor, Our hassling them when they were trying to play from the back...is something we're fully aware of, A couple of dicey moments with CD playing their man in and a free header that was put wide, Allsop was steady, He had very little to do, A couple of shots theat were dealt with, Pleased for Forsyth that header and placement wasn't easy, Back 4 resiliant, Shinnie and Bird looked in command, Morrison and Knight were excellent, Baldock struggles as a lone striker but doesa a job, Lawrence looked better than his usual self, That freekick that sailed over the bar by a good margin made my eyes go ?, Nice to see us in the plus bracket.

A special mention to the fool in the middle, There was a time yonks ago when English refs were the envy of the world, Now we can't even scrape the barrell, Not a problem with Stearman being booked, I have a problem when he lets their player off for doing the same, The handball and Morrison being fouled on the edge of the box...another day another ref and it's a Pen and a freekick, His overall handling was poor, What were fouls on us were overlooked, But fouls on them were given, Cobstantly in Allsops ear 2nd half for his slow recovery of the ball, Not into conspiracy theories...but my was he poor.

Number 14 was playing in gloves for Reading,and its only 29th September,will he be playing in a track suit in December

I love Forsyth's goal. It's a brilliant header. From that position, the fact he has to loop it, and there's a Reading player challenging for the header, it really is an excellent finish.

I love that entire passage of play. Forsyth skipping down the line and leaving the opposition full back in the dust had me wondering if someone has been fiddling with a time machine. His initial cross was really dangerous and he then gets himself in the box, not just aimlessly milling around, but calling for the pass.

7 minutes ago, Anon said:

I love Forsyth's goal. It's a brilliant header. From that position, the fact he has to loop it, and there's a Reading player challenging for the header, it really is an excellent finish.

I love that entire passage of play. Forsyth skipping down the line and leaving the opposition full back in the dust had me wondering if someone has been fiddling with a time machine. His initial cross was really dangerous and he then gets himself in the box, not just aimlessly milling around, but calling for the pass.

You think he actually meant it? I certainly think he was just nodding it back across.

Last night's display really does make you wonder if there is an agenda against us. And I don't usually subscribe to the idea to be honest.

Very few fouls - certainly nothing dangerous or cynical - and we somehow come away with four bookings.

A stonewall handball in clear view of both linesman and referee. No penalty.

And was it Ravel who got cleaned out on the edge of Reading's box? No freekick, let alone a booking for them.

Regardless, a good win and a cracking atmosphere. Well done, Rams and Rams fans! ?

2 hours ago, Jourdan said:

@Jourdan says nice things about the team. The rest of the forum reacts...

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e479f62fxy84a9e5rtrsl

14 minutes ago, Scott129 said:

Last night's display really does make you wonder if there is an agenda against us. And I don't usually subscribe to the idea to be honest.

Very few fouls - certainly nothing dangerous or cynical - and we somehow come away with four bookings.

A stonewall handball in clear view of both linesman and referee. No penalty.

And was it Ravel who got cleaned out on the edge of Reading's box? No freekick, let alone a booking for them.

Regardless, a good win and a cracking atmosphere. Well done, Rams and Rams fans! ?

I don't normally criticise the officials (it's a very difficult job, we probably get our fair share of dodgy decisions etc) but last nights did seem rather poor. Having said that, I'm 100% convinced there is no agenda against us involving the referees.

1 hour ago, Srg said:

You think he actually meant it? I certainly think he was just nodding it back across.

I never really thought about it. I guess you're always hedging your bets a little when heading back across the keeper, but I think from his body shape, and his reaction (celebrating before it's even over the line), he meant it.

4 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Somebody put up a breakdown.. Isn't there 3 points in there for being late paying wages or was that bit suspended? 

3 points for late wages (in 20/21) were suspended, only to be applied if the offence occurs again within a certain period of time.

Our P&S penalty is supposedly 12 points, 3 of which suspended (9 points to be deducted). Those 12 would be the total from multiple periods. For example, it could be something like:
3 years to 2018 - £4m = 4 points
3 years to 2020 - £6m = 5 points
3 years to 2021 - £2.5m = 3 points

56 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

3 points for late wages (in 20/21) were suspended, only to be applied if the offence occurs again within a certain period of time.

Our P&S penalty is supposedly 12 points, 3 of which suspended (9 points to be deducted). Those 12 would be the total from multiple periods. For example, it could be something like:
3 years to 2018 - £4m = 4 points
3 years to 2020 - £6m = 5 points
3 years to 2021 - £2.5m = 3 points

So really all the argy bargy over the accounting policy was about 4 points. 

I thought it was the case that we had amended the accounting policy back to straight line amortisation a while back? 

In which case MM and IP must have known that we were going to cop for a points deduction in respect of the more recent years which amounts to 5+3 =8 points under this restated schedule, but which had we not had to rework historic accounts might have been higher! 

Perhaps a case of a bit of deflection by MM by focussing attention on the historic issue as opposed to the more recent overspend.....