Rams vs Reading Matchday Thread

Bwash_Ram

34 minutes ago, Srg said:

Thought Allsop had a good night. Like many, I wasn’t happy to see his name on the team sheet but he saved everything (mostly routine bar one or two) and even caught a couple of things too. 

Stearman worries me a little. Although not sure if he improved second half or I wasn’t as nervous about him because he was further away from me in the South Stand. Seems slow to move his feet and looked a liability. 

Don’t think it was a coincidence the goal came from the first time Forsyth used his acre of space to actually dribble forward rather than come back. He needed to do that more often to keep the defence honest. 

Midfield did a decent job of rotating deep to fetch the ball from the defence which was good. Trying to play out from the back with our personnel is not fun but they made the best of it by helping out - we did still manage one huge calamity after half time. 

Stretton looked decent but needs a big stint in the weight room. Reading do have some quick defenders which didn’t help though.

I am not one for conspiracy theories but after the red card and injury time penalty last game and now we have an unbelievably bad referee and linesman this game it doesn’t half make you wonder. The linesman missed some shockers, especially the ball being miles out first half under his nose. The referee didn’t give a blatant foul on Ravel on the edge of the box, a blatant penalty for handball, seemed to not bother booking them for the same thing Stearman got booked for, then booked Buchanan for his first foul. Just a baffling display of biased ineptitude. 

I have no idea how that free kick and penalty wasn't given or what the refree was thinking. I thought they was both stone wall decisions.

Another thoroughly enjoyable day out. After 2 years locked down. I’m admittedly easy to please with live football. Noticeable for me -

Rooney/Rosenoir using the full backs to stretch the pitch and regularly having them further up than Shinnie/Bird. 

Bringing on young Dylan rather than Joswiak/Sibley in the end - smart and a sign of how much he’s trusted. 

Ravel’s struggled to impose himself on the last two games but has moments of genius that a more confident strike force would love. 

Knight’s energy is such a benefit - needs more match time after a ruined pre season but his enthusiasm is contagious and he’s always forcing mistakes and picking up loose balls. 

Allsop and the centre backs happy to vary ‘tippy tappy’ with the occasional long ball. Less dogmatic than a few games ago now. 

52 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I'm not certain that I am right there but I thought that was what happened 

You are correct. And a fair enough decision unlike most of the others - not only was he poor but he was also inconsistent. Stearman challenged him on at least two occasions about why he’d been booked when similar offences from Reading players went unpunished.

Good to have a bit of Led Zeppelin at half time.

14 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

You are correct. And a fair enough decision unlike most of the others - not only was he poor but he was also inconsistent. Stearman challenged him on at least two occasions about why he’d been booked when similar offences from Reading players went unpunished.

Good to have a bit of Led Zeppelin at half time.

Steadman was booked early on for pulling an opponent back to stop an attack, I counted at least 3 occasions where the same offence comitted by Reading players did not attract a yellow card.

3 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Steadman was booked early on for pulling an opponent back to stop an attack, I counted at least 3 occasions where the same offence comitted by Reading players did not attract a yellow card.

And the worst of that was that No 47 - who was fouled, no argument - by the half hearted shirt pull, broke free and could have carried on yet chose to protest and get a competitor booked. 

15 hours ago, SoneAluko said:

I’ve been lurking on this forum last hour being a Reading fan curious to see what people were saying then I remembered as you could probably tell by the username I set up an account to post something about a game we played, I think we won 4-2 having been 3-0 up. Was convinced we turned a corner with how good we had been lately at the time and that the playoff hangover was over, ended up surviving on goal difference. ?

Its actually as many as 13. 4 should be back this weekend. You can’t play a Warnock team and not get a few injuries. Southwood, Hoilett and Tetek all picked up injuries but are expected to be back for today. Dann is touch and go, but may be rushed to partner Josh Laurent at centre half.

The rest of the injuries are mainly within the central areas. Moore, Morrison, Holmes and McIntyre our centre halves are all injured at the moment, won’t be playing today. Rinomhota is touch and go, could be on the bench. Azeez and Joao are significant injuries that hurt us, again not back. Otherwise Araruna hasn’t been fit for ages and we all knew for a while Meite won’t be fit this season. 

If they were all fit I’d say only Joao and Holmes would warrant a place in the starting 11 at the minute. The summer signings have fit in really well, Drinkwater hasn’t headbutted someone yet and is very positively contributing so all looking very rosy in that regard. We’re all expecting to survive this season despite our points deduction, but expectations aren’t very high.

Also re points deduction, it’s looking like 6 deducted and 3 suspended according to one local journo. I still wouldn’t rule out a full points deduction however. 

Not sure how you get 6 points for being 10 of millions over but we get 9 for being 4m over, no disrespect as I live just outside reading but you shold get 12.

5 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

Incidentally why do we get 9 points for being 4m over ?

I think we will be over the limit more than once as we got our budgeting wrong due to our amortisation policy . The 9 points would mean we don’t keep being punished for the same thing. But really overspending was the reason we were in a precarious  position going into the pandemic and then we lost £20 million of revenue too and ended in administration and 12 point deduction.

Another thoroughly enjoyable very watchable game. The fight and commitment from the players is fantastic, all 18k fans were right behind - when we were up against the support only grew. 

But isn’t just fight and commitment, the football is actually really good to watch, despite everything going on off the pitch, the product on it is about as good as it’s been for some time. Just need to be more clinical.

Everyone says time to judge after 10-15 games. Well we’ve had some tough matches now and after 10 games without the points deduction we would be 10th, and the football is a good watch. Can’t really complain at that for a squad many had written off even with no points deductions.

We can’t control what happens with additional points deductions, what we’re doing may not be enough to survive but we certainly cannot ask any more than they are giving right now, still think it will take more points deductions to relegate us.

8 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

I think we will be over the limit more than once as we got our budgeting wrong due to our amortisation policy . The 9 points would mean we don’t keep being punished for the same thing. But really overspending was the reason we were in a precarious  position going into the pandemic and then we lost £20 million of revenue too and ended in administration and 12 point deduction.

Somebody put up a breakdown.. Isn't there 3 points in there for being late paying wages or was that bit suspended?