Players asked to defer wages

Gringo

1 hour ago, Ravabeerbelly said:

I’m sorry but this type of comment always rankles with me.

It’s based on the assumption that a) every footballer is super rich and b) that they have similar or comparable outgoings as you or I….

Based on the UK average the average wage is £30,000 (nett £1850 a month). The average mortgage repayment is £750 a month. Meaning the average persons mortgage is approx 40% of his wage….

What have you done with the extra money you’ve been paid since the start of your working life? Pay rises, bonuses etc?

I assume like me you didn’t manage to save much of it and made a choice to enjoy lifestyle improvements….new clothes, a nicer car, a bigger house, weddings, start a family? So it’s fair to say most ‘cut their cloth’ accordingly? 

That leaves a footballer earning £10,000 a week with a mortgage of somewhere between £15-£20,000 a month……

Oh I forgot…..you and I will have most likely taken out their mortgage in our mid twenties and expected to pay it off sometime between 50 and 60 ready for a nice retirement, maybe over a period of 25 years? That gives your average footballer a 10 year window of earning opportunity before he’s cast adrift at 34/35 and someone makes a decision to retire him!!! I don’t know the math involved in that but assuming the repayments on a mortgage of that size paid over 10 years is considerably more than when paid over 25 years?

In short, not many footballers are paying off a mortgage of £750 a month whilst driving a 5 year old VW Passat. Their outgoings will be very much in line with their earnings and their retirement age!

Im not saying there should be an outpouring of sympathy compared with staff that will inevitably lose their jobs but let’s be realistic at least.

Behave yourself 3 grand a week is still 156K a year, more than me, you and 99% of people on this forum could even dream of earning,i do feel for the younger academy players who like you say as not had time to build a nest egg,dont get me wrong when you earn more you then run your life spending wise but the same way as you have to do once you have to cut the cloth accordingly. 

15 minutes ago, ramboy63 said:

Behave yourself 3 grand a week is still 156K a year, more than me, you and 99% of people on this forum could even dream of earning,i do feel for the younger academy players who like you say as not had time to build a nest egg,dont get me wrong when you earn more you then run your life spending wise but the same way as you have to do once you have to cut the cloth accordingly. 

156k a year isn’t a lot of money when it’s taxed at 40% and you can only earn it for 6/7 years!!! 

Once you have a mortgage that needs to be paid off in ten years not 25 it’s quite a chunk of money gone. Any kind of pay cut and you’ll feel the pinch the same as the next man…sometimes worse….

Just now, Ravabeerbelly said:

156k a year isn’t a lot of money when it’s taxed at 40% and you can only earn it for 6/7 years!!! 

Once you have a mortgage that needs to be paid off in ten years not 25 it’s quite a chunk of money gone. Any kind of pay cut and you’ll feel the pinch the same as the next man…sometimes worse….

yes agreed but the cut is to 3 Grand the players were talking about was on 4.5k before and also the non contract players we signed have mostly had a good career already.Dont forget we are only talking about Basic salary here there could well be win bonuses, appearance money, sponsorship money etc etc etc

At the end of the day the club is in a dire situation but if the players have to take a little hit for a short period of time so be it,its the mascots cleaners, programme sellers,club shop and other staff who like you say have mortgages to pay who will ultimately get shafted.

28 minutes ago, ramboy63 said:

yes agreed but the cut is to 3 Grand the players were talking about was on 4.5k before and also the non contract players we signed have mostly had a good career already.Dont forget we are only talking about Basic salary here there could well be win bonuses, appearance money, sponsorship money etc etc etc

At the end of the day the club is in a dire situation but if the players have to take a little hit for a short period of time so be it,its the mascots cleaners, programme sellers,club shop and other staff who like you say have mortgages to pay who will ultimately get shafted.

I dont disagree but my point was it annoys me when people make the sweeping statement along the lines of “bless them they’ll be down to their last millions” 

Its not like that for many, if any and most will have the same struggles as the rest of us having cut their cloth to suit their income. 

You or I or anyone else has little or no knowledge of any of the players personal finances and associated commitments. So I just feel it’s crass to make comments along those lines 

Edited by Ravabeerbelly