Players asked to defer wages

Gringo

13 minutes ago, Rampant said:

Is Morris skint?

Probably not, but the club is. Under the British limited liability legal concept (the legal cornerstone of the entire British commercial system, underpinning company formation etc), Mel Morris is only liable for amounts already put in to dcfc. 

The club has no legal recourse to Mel for any further money. 

This construct was seen as crucial to the whole industrial revolution. The alternative is effectively unlimited liability which nobody would risk hence no companies would ever be formed. 

10 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Probably not, but the club is. Under the British limited liability legal concept (the legal cornerstone of the entire British commercial system, underpinning company formation etc), Mel Morris is only liable for amounts already put in to dcfc. 

The club has no legal recourse to Mel for any further money. 

This construct was seen as crucial to the whole industrial revolution. The alternative is effectively unlimited liability which nobody would risk hence no companies would ever be formed. 

Legally yes totally but morally?!

It’s an impossible situation. The players should have the ability to say no, but if they do the club will likely be liquidated. But then the squad will be out of jobs with no income, some might not find other clubs, others like Lawrence, Bielik in his current state won’t get the same terms elsewhere. If they do defer wages, I reckon Rooney will go around everyone and ask who is willing to defer what rather than everyone defer 1/3.

We are also talking 1/3 from that article. Senior executives at a well known major employer in the Derby area took 30% reductions a mixture of pay cuts and deferrals and all staff took a 10% deferral last year and this year have taken unpaid leave. While it isn’t great and they’re asking for it due to mismanagement from an Owner who won’t stand behind his debts, what they are asking isn’t that unreasonable IMO.

Whats certain though is Boro will be in the background pushing for the 3 point deductions to apply. Hope the EFL are true to the statement Trevor Birch put out and support us through this. But then pigs might fly!!

Edited by BramcoteRam84

2 hours ago, jono said:

If wages aren’t paid the 3 points doesn’t matter one jot. It’s breach of contract so pretty certain the players can leave and be free agents. They wouldn’t necessarily get another job elsewhere but it would mean we’d have neither their playing skills or their asset value. 

That’s the end of the line 

It may or may not happen, but does it look like the players don't want to play for WR and the Rams, as from my perspective this is the most together I can remember them, I doubt any would walk away.

Remember only last season Sheff Weds didn't pay for months yet none of their players walked.....

Also, there will be plenty on here that have been asked to take pay cuts or deferrals during the last 18 months due to cash flow, RR staff for starters, and these people don't tend to have the financial headroom the vast majority of footballers have.

Let's not panic just yet, surely this would be the 1st thing any administrator would do when trying to plot a path for a business with cash flow issues.

I don’t think this is a massive issue IF the administrator has a viable buyer lined up. If he can assure the players that a new owner will be in place in 27 days time and will pay the wages then. I think those who can afford to wait probably will. If the administrator has no idea about a new owner then I can’t see us completing this season’s fixtures as the players will rightly get payed employment elsewhere 

4 minutes ago, 1967RAMS said:

I don’t think this is a massive issue IF the administrator has a viable buyer lined up. If he can assure the players that a new owner will be in place in 27 days time and will pay the wages then. I think those who can afford to wait probably will. If the administrator has no idea about a new owner then I can’t see us completing this season’s fixtures as the players will rightly get payed employment elsewhere 

Five of our players were free agents in the summer so not sure they would easily get paid £4500 per month elsewhere.

We only have about a dozen players. This ain’t exactly going to save a fortune. If it can be agreed with the efl without a points deduction, then that’s ok. As long as the players do get their money pretty soon afterwards.

The trouble is the administrators’ priority is not to keep the team in the league, it’s to play out the fixtures this year. So they won’t be too worried about points deductions.

13 minutes ago, Malty said:

We only have about a dozen players. This ain’t exactly going to save a fortune. If it can be agreed with the efl without a points deduction, then that’s ok. As long as the players do get their money pretty soon afterwards.

The trouble is the administrators’ priority is not to keep the team in the league, it’s to play out the fixtures this year. So they won’t be too worried about points deductions.

It might not save a fortune, but it's likely our biggest expenditure and if we can delay it, it would probably be a wise move. 

16 minutes ago, Malty said:

I could've sworn we had a squad of 23? 

51 minutes ago, 1967RAMS said:

Isn’t there a rule in place where there is a 28 day grace period for a fans consortium to put an offer in. I can’t see a takeover happening that soon. I suppose it depends how far the buyer who apparently pulled out last week was down the line, fit and proper test, proof of funds etc. 

5 minutes ago, ollycutts1982 said:

Isn’t there a rule in place where there is a 28 day grace period for a fans consortium to put an offer in. I can’t see a takeover happening that soon. I suppose it depends how far the buyer who apparently pulled out last week was down the line, fit and proper test, proof of funds etc. 

If all of the recognised fans groups agree to waive that requirement, a takeover might be able to proceed more quickly.