Wayne Rooney press conference

True Ram

21 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

So not Rooney himself, just his PR team?

Come on fella, give the bloke a break. He's acted with tremendous dignity throughout all this while giving his all to keep the players motivated. 

It was a tongue in cheek comment after my previous comments on Rooney and PR.

Acting dignified? Effort? Attempts to motivate players? Isn’t that the least you would expect from a manager in this position?

What is with the fanfare? He’s simply doing his job and what he is contracted to do. And he’s getting paid handsomely for it. He can’t really lose in this situation, so of course he isn’t going to walk away. I can think of 50,000 reasons not to.

No doubt he also knows the importance of getting the fans onside, so of course he will be aware of what to say to hit the right notes. Mel is public enemy 1, so it was an easy punch to throw.

But words are just words. Personally, I prefer to see a response on the pitch, not soundbites. If we see more spirited performances and results like the one vs Stoke, that is something to get behind.

But as it is, he is being given legendary status by some for making the brave choice to hand some bibs out, put a few cones down, answer a few questions, and pick up tens of thousands a week in the process.

2 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Acting dignified? Effort? Attempts to motivate players? Isn’t that the least you would expect from a manager in this position?

What is with the fanfare? He’s simply doing his job and what he is contracted to do. And he’s getting paid handsomely for it. He can’t really lose in this situation, so of course he isn’t going to walk away. I can think of 50,000 reasons not to.

No doubt he also knows the importance of getting the fans onside, so of course he will be aware of what to say to hit the right notes. Mel is public enemy 1, so it was an easy punch to throw.

But words are just words. Personally, I prefer to see a response on the pitch, not soundbites. If we see more spirited performances and results like the one vs Stoke, that is something to get behind.

But as it is, he is being given legendary status by some for making the brave choice to hand some bibs out, put a few cones down, answer a few questions, and pick up tens of thousands a week in the process.

So you don't like him! No probs,

Lets all get behind him and the players, nothing else matters now if you love Derby. Our survival is at stake and Rooney is a leader I'd follow into battle.

11 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

So you don't like him! No probs,

Lets all get behind him and the players, nothing else matters now if you love Derby. Our survival is at stake and Rooney is a leader I'd follow into battle.

It’s not about whether I like him or not. I don’t know him. None of us do. Nor do we know what is said and done behind the scenes. We only know what we are told.

If it was Cocu, Lampard, Rowett, or even the one and only King Billy, I would say exactly the same. They are just doing their jobs.

I am totally behind the club. At 3 o clock on Saturday, the boys will have my full attention, much to my girlfriend’s disappointment.

Yes, our survival is at stake. But choice words in a press conference won’t get us out of our predicament, winning football matches will.

If Rooney is a leader, let’s see him lead us to victories against all odds, and then we can get the bagpipes out.

31 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

What an unbelievable post!

"simply doing his job" I doubt he signed up for or expected to be doing the job that he has now

" He can’t really lose in this situation" Derby are still odds on to be relegated, that is losing, and some would put the blame on him

" I prefer to see a response on the pitch" if you haven't seen a response on the pitch this season compared to the final months last season you're not looking

"hand some bibs out, put a few cones down, answer a few questions" and part with some of his own money to keep the show on the road

11 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

It’s not about whether I like him or not. I don’t know him. None of us do. Nor do we know what is said and done behind the scenes. We only know what we are told.

If it was Cocu, Lampard, Rowett, or even the one and only King Billy, I would say exactly the same. They are just doing their jobs.

I am totally behind the club. At 3 o clock on Saturday, the boys will have my full attention, much to my girlfriend’s disappointment.

Yes, our survival is at stake. But choice words in a press conference won’t get us out of our predicament, winning football matches will.

If Rooney is a leader, let’s see him lead us to victories against all odds, and then we can get the bagpipes out.

Surley you must acknowledge how well he has done and motivated the boys so far this season?

No one gave us a chance at the start of the season yet alone with our points dedication.

6 minutes ago, sunnyhill60 said:

What an unbelievable post!

"simply doing his job" I doubt he signed up for or expected to be doing the job that he has now

" He can’t really lose in this situation" Derby are still odds on to be relegated, that is losing, and some would put the blame on him

" I prefer to see a response on the pitch" if you haven't seen a response on the pitch this season compared to the final months last season you're not looking

"hand some bibs out, put a few cones down, answer a few questions" and part with some of his own money to keep the show on the road

Well said !!

29 minutes ago, Charlotte Ram said:

I doubt very much he is drawing a salary at the moment, but will be too modest to mention it, it must be very wearing for you to be so cynical with everything to do with Wayne

Football is awash with self-interest and you think Rooney is working for free.

It’s almost as ridiculous as your ‘Blame the fans’ thread.

It might be cynical. It might be spot on. Time will tell.

And for the record, I am as fresh as a daisy.

23 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

By two takeaways from this drivel are…

one and only King Billy…. Oh sweet William…

and 

bagpipes….!?? Bagpipes.!!? Really ?

43 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Such a pity we didn't have a leader in the boardroom to get us out of our predicament, then Rooney wouldn't be having to say choice words in a press conference.He would be getting on with the job he was employed to do.

24 minutes ago, Ram1988 said:

Surley you must acknowledge how well he has done and motivated the boys so far this season?

No one gave us a chance at the start of the season yet alone with our points dedication.

Who gave us no chance? Probably media types who don’t understand football at this level or those who wanted to feed the hysteria.

At this level, you’ve always got a chance. Wycombe, a club who don’t even particularly stand out at League 1 level, proved that. And so have countless others.

I am a supposed pessimist and I have predicted us to win several games this season.

The last two games were very impressive but overall 10 points from 24 is merely a decent return, one that could have been better given the opposition. We have dropped seven points from winning positions, let’s not forget.

Let’s see how the players respond on Saturday. A spirited performance would be so encouraging to see.

30 minutes ago, atherstoneram said:

Such a pity we didn't have a leader in the boardroom to get us out of our predicament, then Rooney wouldn't be having to say choice words in a press conference.He would be getting on with the job he was employed to do.

I don’t disagree.

It is gutting to see what a mess Mel has left behind.

But if a self-described fan of the club, who was once worshipped and considered ‘one of our own’, could be so reckless and act with such self-interest, surely you can see why some might be wary of anyone else in a significant position or with duty of care at the club.

Indeed Rooney is saying all of the right things, but time will tell if he is true to his word.

Edited by Jourdan

1 minute ago, Jourdan said:

I don’t disagree.

But if a self-described fan of the club, who was once worshipped and considered ‘one of our own’, could be so reckless and act with such self-interest, surely you can see why some might be wary of anyone else in  a significant position at the club.

Indeed Rooney is saying all of the right things, but time will tell If he is true to his word.

He wasn't worshipped by everyone i and others have been accused many times of being anti MM because we didn't see him in the same light as everyone else.

2 hours ago, Jourdan said:

I don’t disagree.

But if a self-described fan of the club, who was once worshipped and considered ‘one of our own’, could be so reckless and act with such self-interest, surely you can see why some might be wary of anyone else in a significant position or with duty of care at the club.

Indeed Rooney is saying all of the right things, but time will tell if he is true to his word.

What exactly would convince you that Rooney is genuine ....maybe you’d be happier if he walked away?... would that please you.? No ....just give you something else to gripe about ......Rooney could just walk and I for one would be gutted ....and I was criticising him not long ago...but when we need stability as the foundations seem to have taken a serious knock...wouldn’t you say? He’s still here and says he’s going nowhere and I for one applaud him ...get of his back mr cynical and see that what he’s doing is credible .....as he said he could go on holidays etc but he cares about the players and staff here ...so give yourself a break from moaning and get behind him ...if you dare be positive 

5 hours ago, Jourdan said:

Did you watch his press conference? 

I usually agree with you and have been pretty anti-Rooney until 7 days ago. But this gets top points for trolling and has put me in the invidious position of liking @MuespachRamposts!

Rooney can have lots of things levelled against him but if that press conference was the result of PR advice and he was posturing to the camera then I would be astounded. His PR team would surely have said 'be statesmanlike and rise above it' anyway. 

You could feel his change of tone when Mel was discussed. He obviously feels incredibly angry that he is now steering the ship but wasn't been given the common courtesy of the facts. He clearly has had staff coming to him and asking about their livelihoods and he has been in the dark. Some fans were speculating it was all a plan that Mel had made Rooney part of, but obviously that wasn't the case. Staggers me Mel has basically left him front and centre without giving him the heads up.

Nothing about paying for equipment and leading the team through an almost impossible situation seemed contrived to me. He made a comment about the players finding his 5min talk being more useful and heartfelt than Mel's 45mins, I don't see him pushing that idea as something that promotes him as a football manager, it's a personal thing that shows him as a decent bloke only.  It's also easily checked by asking the players. Clearly that comment was made to him by several players. 

As an aside, Mel's leadership has finished now.  No avoiding the conclusion it's been a shockingly bad period in retrospect. Like a drunk in Vegas constantly chasing his losses it's now come to its logical outcome. What remains to be seen is whether he wakes up with a banging head and realises he can show responsibility and good faith by slowly nursing the situation to its best possible conclusion (I still believe he will) or whether he is more akin to a Maxwell Mk 2 and having bleed his company dry he walks away from the situation with no self awareness or contrition. 

Got to agree with @Chester40on this @JourdanI like alot of what you say, but reference Rooney, I think your wrong,   he has been outstanding the way he has conducted himself this last week, I firmly believe so long as we get no more points deducted his leadership and the players fight, and the fans support will keep us up, and we will be the first team in history to avoid relegation after a 12 point deduction........