Football, the broken model

ram59

Just been watching Sky sports news and what hit me was the irony of 2 topics of their program this morning.

First they were waxing lyrical over 'Liverpool's' future superstar wonder kid, Kaide Gordon and within minutes were discussing the demise of our club. They didn't mention at all the fact that Liverpool virtually 'stole' him from us.

How unfair is the system whereby a club has invested heavily in its academy, loses a player worth 10s of millions for a pittance. Nevermind the rights or wrongs of how Derby have got in this mess with overspending elsewhere, we have also spent money in the right place to develop a talent worth tens of millions of pounds, but without getting the reward.

No offense to Kaide or to Liam Delap, but if they had had the interests of the club at heart, like Jude Bellingham at Birmingham, we would be a lot better off. Jude Bellingham waited until his 17th birthday before signing professionally for the Blues, who then immediately sold him to Dortmund for £25M. You can't blame our youngsters because they may have picked up a career ending injury before their 17th, but you can blame the football system which allows this to happen.

So because of the different attitudes of three 16 year olds, Blues are plus £25M and Derby plus £2M when it should be plus £50M.

Derby's academy should have been able to clear our debts, but the system has prevented it.

We've never given it the time of day until now, when we're in the mire, despite it being broken for many years. We didn't moan or blame academy products 3 or 4 years ago when the money was being thrown around so don't see what good finding excuses are now. You're literally scapegoating children. Not having it tbh.

58 minutes ago, ram59 said:

Just been watching Sky sports news and what hit me was the irony of 2 topics of their program this morning.

First they were waxing lyrical over 'Liverpool's' future superstar wonder kid, Kaide Gordon and within minutes were discussing the demise of our club. They didn't mention at all the fact that Liverpool virtually 'stole' him from us.

How unfair is the system whereby a club has invested heavily in its academy, loses a player worth 10s of millions for a pittance. Nevermind the rights or wrongs of how Derby have got in this mess with overspending elsewhere, we have also spent money in the right place to develop a talent worth tens of millions of pounds, but without getting the reward.

No offense to Kaide or to Liam Delap, but if they had had the interests of the club at heart, like Jude Bellingham at Birmingham, we would be a lot better off. Jude Bellingham waited until his 17th birthday before signing professionally for the Blues, who then immediately sold him to Dortmund for £25M. You can't blame our youngsters because they may have picked up a career ending injury before their 17th, but you can blame the football system which allows this to happen.

So because of the different attitudes of three 16 year olds, Blues are plus £25M and Derby plus £2M when it should be plus £50M.

Derby's academy should have been able to clear our debts, but the system has prevented it.

This is one aspect but actually Mel Morris very eloquently explained how the system is totally loaded against all clubs outside of the Premiership bubble. There will be an inexorable implosion of the football pyramid unless the model is dismantled. Just a matter of when not if. 

55 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

We've never given it the time of day until now, when we're in the mire, despite it being broken for many years. We didn't moan or blame academy products 3 or 4 years ago when the money was being thrown around so don't see what good finding excuses are now. You're literally scapegoating children. Not having it tbh.

To be fair there were a lot of people at the time saying we were being robbed, the system is broken and it will come back to bite us. So it’s a fair point to say that if we had been fairly (in this market) compensated for those players, we’d be in a much better place now. Nothing we can do about it now, but our plight does highlight the knock on effects of these stupid rules. Maybe it’s one step closer to something being done about it. 

also, to be fair to Mel (not that I think he deserves it at this stage), he invested in the academy to make some money off it. We’ve done okay, but the dream is to do a forest or Birmingham. Develop youngsters to sell for tens of millions. That was always part of the business plan. 

It’s fair to say that Gordon and Delap had a greater commitment to their career than Derby County. They were undoubtedly correct to move on, part of me wishes that Sibley (in particular) followed in their foot steps as I think he would’ve been the best of the bunch in the right set up. 

Derby needed to create an environment where players don’t want to move on. We know the rules of academy players and have also been guilty of ‘stealing’ players ourselves. 

Football is a business. I wish the lads who move on all the best, although certainly not as much as the guys who stuck around. 

I did say that our youngsters had to look after No1 and I was criticising  the system more than those players. What I did point out, was that Jude Bellingham was more committed to Blues and through his selfless actions earned the club £25M. He doesn't seemed to have suffered much personally, by waiting those few months, fortunately.

But the system shouldn't put the responsibility on the shoulders of a young 16 year old.

4 hours ago, ram59 said:

Totally agree with you and come January what will happen to our young players that have broken in to the first team,sold for peanuts to keep us afloat,if its true we owe at least 28m to the tax man were in serious trouble