Wycombe Consider Legal action (again)

Yani P

2 hours ago, Spanish said:

I have never read that.

this is all I could find

12.3.1  during the Normal Playing Season but prior to 5.00pm on the fourth Thursday in March, the points deduction shall apply immediately;

12.4.1  the Club would be relegated in accordance with Regulation 10.1.2(b) or 7.7, the points deduction will apply in the next following Season (including in the National League if appropriate); or

6 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

12.4.1  the Club would be relegated in accordance with Regulation 10.1.2(b) or 7.7, the points deduction will apply in the next following Season (including in the National League if appropriate); or

Holy carp, this just gets better and better

33 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

12.3  Subject to the provisions of Regulation 12.4 below, where the Club becomes subject to or suffers an Insolvency Event, or the Board impose a deduction in accordance with Regulation 12.2:

12.3.1  during the Normal Playing Season but prior to 5.00pm on the fourth Thursday in March, the points deduction shall apply immediately; 

12.3.2  during the Normal Playing Season but after 5.00pm on the fourth Thursday in March, Regulation 12.4 shall apply; and 

12.3.3  outside the Normal Playing Season, the points deduction shall apply in respect of the following Season such that the Club starts that Season on minus 12 points (including in the National League if appropriate). 

12.4  Where the circumstances set out in Regulation 12.3.2 apply and at the end of that Season, having regard to the number of championship points awarded (ignoring any potential deduction):

12.4.2  the Club would not be relegated as aforesaid, the points deduction will apply in that Season and Regulation 10.1.2(b) or 7.7 will then apply (if appropriate) following imposition of the points deduction.

The above suggests it will be this season regardless. 12.4(.1/.2) only comes into play with 12.3.2, which is if the Insolvency Event is after 5pm on the 4th Thursday in March.

At first I had sympathy for Wycombe as they are a plucky club who have done well in the last few years, but I've since changed my mind.

They only reached the Championship based on a technicality anyway, so it's some brass neck to be claiming they're hard done by.

We'd probably be doing the same if we were in there position, but them we would be wrong about it too.

In 19/20 Charlton were relegated because the Tribunal determining Wednesday's case decided it would be unfair to relegate them for their breach, so imposed a 9 point deduction for the following season (last season). Had they deducted the 9 points immediately, Charlton would have stayed up.

If the EFL or any IDC had decided to apply our punishment to last season, we could simply have pointed out the precedent set and sued the whole lot if they'd have gone through with it.

I'm surprised a top Yankee Lawyer with a Big Hat hasn't heard of this principle, which is the foundation of English Common Law and which informs both statute and civil law constantly.

4 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

So just checking this is now not a problem?

13 hours ago, Ram Bam said:

Just a thought on the potential points deduction for next season, isn't it a thing that if you're relegated outright then any points deduction is applied to the following season?

Is it possible we finish in the bottom 3 or a points deduction for the amortisation sees us relegated so the 12 points for administration apply to next season?

I think it can happen the other way around. So if it's determined we get - 9 for P&S then that can be held over to next season if we are already relegated. 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Tiverton Ram said:

I find this legal action stuff really stupid. It's just pure desperation. Pathetic. If Wycombe were good enough to stay up they wouldn't need to be in this position trying to get legal action to keep them in the league.

Agree. How embarrassing that Middlesbrough and Wycombe have to be mentioned alongside the EFL and HMRC by the administrators in the legal context of our situation. 

I wouldn't want to be supporting a football club that is trying to put another one out of business.

The decision over relegation and points deductions are all made by the governing body .. that is the EFL. 

Derby County have no influence or say in who gets relegated or not. We just play football in a competition managed by others. 

If Wycombe have a case it has to be against the EFL

Its just noise as far as we are concerned. 

I'm no lawyer but I'm presuming the suing is regarding administration as surely they cannot be suing us for FFP as we haven't been penalised for that yet and I'm under the impression you cannot sue on hypotheticals?

Yes it's true had we gone in to administration last season they would still be in the Championship, we never, so frankly tough t*ts. It's not like the owners took the decision lightly and thought let's go in to administration next season because Wycombe LOLZ, no it's a combination of Covid and chancers parading as legit business owners and that came to a head this season.

I can guarantee that Cardiff, Peterborough, Hull and Barnsley are all happy we went in to administration this season and not last season looking at the league.

You see, going in to administration always benefits the teams around them the club going in to administration whenever that should happen and Wycombe lost out on this benefit, treating it like it was some form of vendetta against them is frankly ridiculous, it's harsh luck but so was Zamora's late winner.

That's football you dust yourself off, get back on your feet and go again, you don't go suing like some Karen that wants to speak to the manager.

Edited by Retro_RAM