DCFC 1984-1986

Stive Pesley

I started going to watch Derby properly in 1984 when we had just been relegated to the old Division 3 (League One in modern parlance)

In the light of current events,  I wanted to start a thread to offer some positivity around the very high likelihood of our relegation this season

I'm sure there is a high percentage of posters who weren't even born back then and have no idea what it was like to playing in tier 3, but I'm here to tell you that it was a fantastic experience

Derby fans came together like never before and relished the status of being a big fish in a small pond, the fallen giants - every other  team's cup final, the one they wanted to beat

Atmosphere on the Popside was better than ever, away games were brilliant adventures to new places 

Players grew in confidence week after week as the team started to coalesce, with the realisation that we had the beating of anyone in the division if we stuck together

Because at the end of the day - it doesn't actually matter what league you are in, you're watching a football game, and in that moment - the passion is just the same

So come on old timers - share your memories of those years 84-86 in Division 3 for the nippers

First season ticket I had was on the pop side for the season we went down to division 3. 
I still have my “we’ll be back in 81” (was that the year?) scarf….

the away days back then we’re amazing, going to places like Shrewsbury, Newport and Bury and absolutely taking over the town. 
I can remember being so proud of the stat published in the Ram magazine where It showed you all the highest attendances for each team and there was a little * next to each team whose highest attendance was when Derby were on town, and It was almost every single one of them. 
Embrace It….

1984-85 was the first when I had to buy my own season ticket, having just got a job - Co-Op (Ley) Stand, Normanton wing.

So much to look back on with fondness... players wearing 1-11 for a start!

Arthur rebuilt the club, gave it an identity again and the team played with a system and with a purpose. We were the big wigs of that division, but there wasn't a single big time charlie in the dressing room.

Well, other than Charlie Palmer of course!

48 minutes ago, one_chop said:

The best time to be a fan was the Arthur Cox year's in my opinion. The pop side and away games were something else.

I loved the time in the 3rd going to so many away games and filling the smaller grounds.

BUT, I think the season under Jim Smith when we went on was slightly better.

I put a bus on from Matlock to Sunderland and we filled it in hours, so we ended up taking two.

Great days!

I'm definitely with you chaps on this one. I remember 1984-86 fondly too.  I seem to remember some game against Wigan kicking off in the morning, which seemed very strange.

On a slightly different tack, while I know we're all supposed to want the promised land, of the Premier League, going into League 1 would probably be a lot more fun.  I appreciate that the problems that going up to Premier League would present are possibly not quite our most pressing concerns at the moment, but what would we do if we ever got there?  Once the excitement of going to the big stadia has worn off after a couple of seasons, we'd become another Everton  or Palace, just hoping that we don't get relegated and therefore have to face financial ruin (as if that could ever be a possibility).  We'd be doing well to win more than we lose, we'd never take the cups seriously, and boredom would soon set in.  In League 1, as others have mentioned, there would be new grounds & towns to visit.  And we might even win on a fairly regular basis (ever the optimist!)

Newport County away stands out in my memories of those 2 seasons

1st season - last game of the season away at Newport ( it was the day of the Bradford fire ). Newport gave us the home end which we duly filled. We won 3-1 but the day was soured by our fans trashing their ground.

2nd season - New Years Day, travelled down on the supporters bus with a banging headache. Game started, Bobby Davison got a serious injury then the game was abandoned due to a waterlogged pitch

6 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Reading away.. Elm Park. Massive following. Derby everywhere.

Shrewsbury away.

We had some huge followings in those day. Carefree.

Lincoln with Derby taking over the pub on the left A46 just (I think before) you get to Newark.

Cambridge was solid as was Bournemouth for Arthur's first game.

I once drove to Darlington to see a client on a ridiculously contrived meeting that didn't need to happen and the game got postponed.

I did it again for the rearranged fixture in a Tranny Van (can you call them those these days?) on my own and we lost.

And then the following season, that turnout over 9k at Bramall Lane when Gee scored the winner at our end.

I was a popside season ticket holder and went to a few away games.

You're right. It was fun. Damn sight more fun than now - even before the events of this past weekend.

@Bob The Badger has just mentioned Sheffield United away, that's one of the best atmosphere's I can ever remember.

I wonder how much my enjoyment was because I was still relatively young and found most things exciting being so naive - or because football was just so much better before Sky money ruined it.

22 minutes ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

One of the great nights at the Baseball Ground……………in Division 3

“It’s a penalty, I do not believe it,  the referees given a penalty”

GOAL,GOAL,GOAL

We're told that there's 7 wonders of the world, Well actually there's 8, That penalty was the 8th, I'm still wondering how the ref gave it, I was there that night, Why did we play it on a Friday night?

11 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Lincoln with Derby taking over the pub on the left A46 just (I think before) you get to Newark.

Cambridge was solid as was Bournemouth for Arthur's first game.

I once drove to Darlington to see a client on a ridiculously contrived meeting that didn't need to happen and the game got postponed.

I did it again for the rearranged fixture in a Tranny Van (can you call them those these days?) on my own and we lost.

And then the following season, that turnout over 9k at Bramall Lane when Gee scored the winner at our end.

There were so many great memories. As fans next season could be a great time, as a club it will be horrendous.

Brighton away was great as well..  

32 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

Wigan away at Sprinfield Road, We went past Wigan Rugby League ground and thought that was where Wigan Athletic played...nope!, Ended up at Springfield Road...wow, We stood on a grass bank, Toilets were 3rd world, Food just a little better.

Haha, yes I remember that grass bank. Think it was in August, the first away game of the promotion season & we lost to a very useful Wigan team that included Paul Jewell.

We didn't lose another away game until Chesterfield in February

That was the thing with Arthur Cox, our home form wasn't the best but we won loads of away games. & that theme continued right up to finishing 5th In Div 1

Edited by SamUltraRam

6 minutes ago, SamUltraRam said:

Haha, yes I remember that grass bank. Think it was in August, the first away game of the promotion season & we lost to a very useful Wigan team that included Paul Jewell.

We didn't lose another away game until Chesterfield in February

That was the thing with Arthur Cox, our home form wasn't the best but we won loads of away games. & that theme continued right up to finishing 5th In Div 1

I'm not to sure on the year, But Cambridge away, Cambridge Centre Forward Goerge Riley Huge mother he was pretty sure we lost 3-1 he was Gave Macfarland a torrid time, We went into their city centre...yep all University types, The fellas weren't to keen on some uneducated Council eastate ruffians chatting up their fine Ladies ?