Mel Morris interview on Radio Derby 1pm

Ramos

About the lack of apology from Mel in his interview. 

I think people need to remember or know is that the conduct of the directors could be investigated once in administration. I would have thought Mel could have been advised to be careful how he words his apology. Hence, I’m sorry about the outcome but not for how the club got there in the first instance. 

I’m not defending Mel, you simply look at where we were on and off the pitch when he took over and where we are today. It’s unforgivable. 

Warren Buffet once said something along the lines of ‘once the tide goes out you see whose swimming naked.’ 

Covid may well have broke the camels back but the camel was on his last legs already, there’s one person to blame for that. 

However one thing that resonates with me that has also come out of this is the poison chalice that is the Premier League and it’s vast riches. Unless something is done to distribute the wealth in football more clubs will go to the wall in the pursuit of this holy grail.

For many owners of clubs in the championship without parachute payments is the stark choice, throw everything at going up and risk financial ruin or run your club sensibly with little or no chance of achieving promotion, and simply die slowly.

3 hours ago, angieram said:

If you can't keep the personal insults or libellous comments out of your posts, then all the other good stuff you've written alongside them goes. Similarly if you quote posts which contain personal insults or libellous comments. 

Criticise all you want, but keep to Forum rules please.

Please can I have my post restated without the bottom word I used? Very disappointed that post was pulled given that, generally, far worse is let go on this board.

21 minutes ago, Macintosh said:

21 minutes ago, Macintosh said:

1. Those that listened to the live broadcast on Radio Derby today, the lady that wanted to point out that although she has lost her job, and has been with the club for 30 years, she was glowing in her praise for what Mel has done for the club. She jumped on her bike at 7.30am and wanted fans to know that, appalled by all the keyboard warriors, especially on Facebook.

2. Festy Ebosele could easily have turned down the new contract and gone elsewhere like one other did. We could have accepted the Buchanan bid or made it known we have several young starts available at bargain prices. It appears we did turn down a multi-million approach from WBA for Lawrence. When Derby brought in their loan signings in January, those £1.6m wages came out of Mel's pocket, not from fans' season ticket purchases – because there were none.

3. I'd like to think that the potential purchaser told Mel to put the club in administration and in a few weeks many on here will be putting forward a transfer wish list they want the club to sign, with little thought about the financial side yet again, and when they get fed up of a manager they'll be saying sack him, bring in another, bugger the financial consequences.

Edited by Unlucky Alf

This might be a stupid question and I have not read every page of this thread, so apologies in advance. I listened to the interview this morning and the comments about the inability to get the COVID loan from the EFL to tide us over. Apparently it would have been a different story if we had qualified. Could Pearce not have applied for a CBILS loan from the bank, which is government backed? 

4 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

This might be a stupid question and I have not read every page of this thread, so apologies in advance. I listened to the interview this morning and the comments about the inability to get the COVID loan from the EFL to tide us over. Apparently it would have been a different story if we had qualified. Could Pearce not have applied for a CBILS loan from the bank, which is government backed? 

They could have but these were certainly not guaranteed and guessing without any security to offer the banks would have wanted personal guarantees 

5 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

They could have but these were certainly not guaranteed and guessing without any security to offer the banks would have wanted personal guarantees 

Okay thanks.. You're the money man so I will defer. I thought it was GOV backed up to 5 mill.

Just read, 

For facilities above £250,000, the lender had discretion to take personal guarantees, but:

recoveries under these were capped at a maximum of 20% of the outstanding balance of the CBILS facility after the proceeds of business assets have been applied.

Edited by Angry Ram

51 minutes ago, Macintosh said:

I'd like to think that the potential purchaser told Mel to put the club in administration and in a few weeks many on here will be putting forward a transfer wish list they want the club to sign, with little thought about the financial side yet again, and when they get fed up of a manager they'll be saying sack him, bring in another, bugger the financial consequences.

That's such a poor and ill thought out observation.

Morris was the custodian of the club, it was his responsibility to ensure that whatever expenditure was being outlayed it was within his gift to cover it. Something which he patently failed to do. 

I guess it was the peer pressure from the fans to also sack Clement when we were 5th in the league?

And I guess it was also the fans who forced Mel to sack Rush and Keogh then have to fork out massive compensation settlements for both afterwards.

Your support of Morris is to be applauded however it is totally misguided. 

3 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

That's such a poor and ill thought out observation.

Morris was the custodian of the club, it was his responsibility to ensure that whatever expenditure was being outlayed it was within his gift to cover it. Something which he patently failed to do. 

I guess it was the peer pressure from the fans to also sack Clement when we were 5th in the league?

And I guess it was also the fans who forced Mel to sack Rush and Keogh then have to fork out massive compensation settlements for both afterwards.

Your support of Morris is to be applauded however it is totally misguided. 

that must be another one contributing to the 'lets build a statue of Mel' fund

26 minutes ago, Spanish said:

that must be another one contributing to the 'lets build a statue of Mel' fund

I'd pitch in with that. Even the mayor said Mel is being kept on as his role as Derby's ambassador for business.

Me, I loved it when I got my free flag to wave, when we kept getting to the play-offs, when we were in for the best players available. Every manager sacked I agreed with, most players bought I cheered – even Blackman.

7 minutes ago, Macintosh said:

I'd pitch in with that. Even the mayor said Mel is being kept on as his role as Derby's ambassador for business.

Me, I loved it when I got my free flag to wave, when we kept getting to the play-offs, when we were in for the best players available. Every manager sacked I agreed with, most players bought I cheered – even Blackman.

You won’t be saying that Harry when you lose your job as Head of Technical Scouting.

1 hour ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

"Once you can fake the sincerity, the rest is easy" - Tony Blair.

The original of that is:

"The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can fake that you've got it made." (possibly) by the same (French) bloke as:

"Only the mediocre are always at their best" - Quite like that one.

1 hour ago, Macintosh said:

Those that listened to the live broadcast on Radio Derby today, the lady that wanted to point out that although she has lost her job, and has been with the club for 30 years, she was glowing in her praise for what Mel has done for the club. She jumped on her bike at 7.30am and wanted fans to know that, appalled by all the keyboard warriors, especially on Facebook.

Festy Ebosele could easily have turned down the new contract and gone elsewhere like one other did. We could have accepted the Buchanan bid or made it known we have several young starts available at bargain prices. It appears we did turn down a multi-million approach from WBA for Lawrence. When Derby brought in their loan signings in January, those £1.6m wages came out of Mel's pocket, not from fans' season ticket purchases – because there were none.

I'd like to think that the potential purchaser told Mel to put the club in administration and in a few weeks many on here will be putting forward a transfer wish list they want the club to sign, with little thought about the financial side yet again, and when they get fed up of a manager they'll be saying sack him, bring in another, bugger the financial consequences.

One of the points being made was selling one or both (or other) players would have helped keep us going a bit longer. perhaps long enough for a takeover to go through

Really good interview I thought well done Ed Dawes, asked some tough questions in a manner Mel was happy to answer. I haven't read the full thread on here but I did think it was interesting that Mel pretty much said you can't get promoted anymore without smashing FFP which I think we all sort of knew. It'll probably be a long time before we're even talking about possible promotions to the Premier League again but I think it does go to show we may have to temper expectation levels should we get to that stage ever again and remember what has happened to us now. I did take comfort from the way he spoke about the prospects for the club and I didn't get the feeling he was fobbing us off on that score, I do think we'll find a buyer just going to have a tough couple of years in the meantime. The main thing is that the fans stick together to ensure we have some chance of still having a club! 

Edit - just to add I didn't like him still blaming Covid for a lot of it and he did seem to deflect blame for some of the decision making that has got us here. That said I can't remember any of us wanting Cocu to stay and that was a very expensive sacking ultimately. Sometimes owners are damned if they do and damned if they don't although I guess the counter to that one is they should have got it right the first time, wouldn't have needed to sack him etc 

Edited by DCFCJim87
added to it

A couple of other things occured to me this morning, about the answers Morris gave.

1) Did he say in respect of the potential sale timelines that after the (Alonso) bid, who submitted proof of funds but was rejected by the EFL, that he changed selling agents. Does that probably mean he was still with Samuelson until what May this year? If so I wonder if he only got rid of Samuelson when he was being asked to comment on the spoof Chinese Billy expose?

2) He was very evasive as to why he sacked Cocu. I don't think he answered that question at all clearly. I wonder if he was convinced by said agents that they might have more buyer interest with 'Wayne Rooney' in charge? 

Dawes didn't really touch upon the third party advice he might have been receiving for the sale, nor for the accounting policies. I wonder if he was warned off going there? 

27 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

A couple of other things occured to me this morning, about the answers Morris gave.

1) Did he say in respect of the potential sale timelines that after the (Alonso) bid, who submitted proof of funds but was rejected by the EFL, that he changed selling agents. Does that probably mean he was still with Samuelson until what May this year? If so I wonder if he only got rid of Samuelson when he was being asked to comment on the spoof Chinese Billy expose?

2) He was very evasive as to why he sacked Cocu. I don't think he answered that question at all clearly. I wonder if he was convinced by said agents that they might have more buyer interest with 'Wayne Rooney' in charge? 

Dawes didn't really touch upon the third party advice he might have been receiving for the sale, nor for the accounting policies. I wonder if he was warned off going there? 

It was an edited interview so perhaps Mel had final say over what was broadcast? - there certainly seemed to be a few key question's that weren't asked (or weren't publicy answered) - I also suspect that whenever Mel said "that's a good question" he either meant that Dawes had asked one off his agreed list or else that Mel was expecting to be asked that and therefore had a pre-prepared answer ready...