Jump to content

Mel Morris interview on Radio Derby 1pm


Ramos
 Share

Recommended Posts

23 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

We could have submitted the accounts and took the points charge that will still be due? Or will we be let off the P&S failures without Mel?!

I think the wording "resubmitting the accounts" has caused confusion. My understanding is it's not possible for us to resubmit any accounts to HMRC as they were fine and accepted by HMRC. And a company can't retrospectively go back and change them without very good reason (which the current situation doesn't count as). That's why we have "sent information" (as Nixon put it) to the EFL to say "this is what the accounts would have said, had we amortized the way you now say you want". And the EFL can sit on that forever. And Derby's case would have been "we can't submit the latest accounts to the HMRC until we know that you're satisfied with what we've sent you" with the additional caveat that Mel mentioned in his interview that suggests EFL want to punish us several times for the same offence. Meaning they could pile on points deductions year on year when the offences wouldn't have happened had the league not accepted the accounts in the first place.

I'm not sure that answers the question, but I  didn't really understand the question! :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, angieram said:

When all this is over, and we are wallowing near the bottom of division one or two and living sustainably within our means, I don't want to see any of the posters who are now criticising the way Mel Morris overspent complaining. Or saying players are rubbish, or demanding the owner sacks the manager. 

All the things people have demanded repeatedly during Mel Morris's tenure. 

When we are wallowing at the bottom, will you still be continuing to bemoan fans for…wallowing?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, samwcave said:

Ed Dawes was fantastic during that. Properly tested Mel with how he questioned everything. Sadly, all Mel had to say was “that’s a great question, and I’ll answer that for you”. 

I disagree. He did ask some decent questions, but often combined questions with some added needless lot of waffle. 

You could tell he was not a journalist. Day one at Journalism School: Ask one question then shut up. If the respondee is not answering the question, stop them and ask the question again then shut up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

So do you think Covid has had no effect at all on club finances?

FWIW I'm not even defending MM here, think he should pick up the tab for any debt accumulated during his tenure. 

Yes it did have a effect it was probably the straw that broke the camel's back. 

Am not saying Morris or anyone else should have predicted that just saying that to have the club's finances that much on a knife edge that they're totally susceptible to any external influence is a really poor place to be.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Tyler Durden said:

Yes it did have a effect it was probably the straw that broke the camel's back. 

Am not saying Morris or anyone else should have predicted that just saying that to have the club's finances that much on a knife edge that they're totally susceptible to any external influence is a really poor place to be.

I wouldn't call a £20 (2/3rds) reduction is 'on a knife edge'.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, angieram said:

When all this is over, and we are wallowing near the bottom of division one or two and living sustainably within our means, I don't want to see any of the posters who are now criticising the way Mel Morris overspent complaining. Or saying players are rubbish, or demanding the owner sacks the manager. 

All the things people have demanded repeatedly during Mel Morris's tenure. 

I remember CharlotteRam starting a thread a few weeks back with virtually the same content, think it was entitled something like the fans are to blame for all of this....

It either got shut down or it was subject to so much ridicule that it got locked.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

I think the wording "resubmitting the accounts" has caused confusion. My understanding is it's not possible for us to resubmit any accounts to HMRC as they were fine and accepted by HMRC. And a company can't retrospectively go back and change them without very good reason (which the current situation doesn't count as). That's why we have "sent information" (as Nixon put it) to the EFL to say "this is what the accounts would have said, had we amortized the way you now say you want". And the EFL can sit on that forever. And Derby's case would have been "we can't submit the latest accounts to the HMRC until we know that you're satisfied with what we've sent you" with the additional caveat that Mel mentioned in his interview that suggests EFL want to punish us several times for the same offence. Meaning they could pile on points deductions year on year when the offences wouldn't have happened had the league not accepted the accounts in the first place.

I'm not sure that answers the question, but I  didn't really understand the question! 😄

I think @Charlotte Ramsaid it is possible to resubmit. But I meant the P&S figures - put them in and take the hit. Rather than take the EFL punishment Mel has put us into admin. Does he assume we'll get off the P&S and the latest accounts not yet submitted with a new owner? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I think @Charlotte Ramsaid it is possible to resubmit. But I meant the P&S figures - put them in and take the hit. Rather than take the EFL punishment Mel has put us into admin. Does he assume we'll get off the P&S and the latest accounts not yet submitted with a new owner? 

Yes you can restate accounts to companies house and HMRC but they have to have been audited and the restatement signed off by your accountant, I restated 2018-19 because of a stocktake error and this was accepted by HMRC as it was in their favour.

However please note creditors hate restated accounts and so do credit rating agencies.

Edited by Charlotte Ram
added content
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bucktwo said:

I truly believe both Lampard and Rooney were great appointments , for commercial reasons (and why not both are in the top echelons of UK football ) but mostly for their character,  drive and ability. Wtf is wrong recruiting on that basis . I've seen many charlatan managers down the 50 years of support and rather these guys than many of the previous incumbents or any that are currently available . 

Stick with Rooney if he sticks with us  

That wasn’t my point. Absolutely agree, I’ve praised Rooney elsewhere, he’s doing way better than many, under the circumstances.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, angieram said:

When all this is over, and we are wallowing near the bottom of division one or two and living sustainably within our means, I don't want to see any of the posters who are now criticising the way Mel Morris overspent complaining. Or saying players are rubbish, or demanding the owner sacks the manager. 

All the things people have demanded repeatedly during Mel Morris's tenure. 

That's like saying I went to my company owner for a payrise and 6 months down the line the company folds....then the owner says well everyone else asked for a pay rise too and I gave it to them, couldn't afford it but thought it was the best thing, sorry about your job. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Monty said:

Editing 

just fact checking my earlier post

some general financial impacts MM mentioned

1. 8 championship clubs receive parachute payments of between £12-£42m pa 

2. L1 promoted clubs have a much lower salary cost with a 5.5m tv and solidarity payment

3. covid loss of £20m in the case of DCFC - clubs with more fans have a bigger proportionate hit from covid

4. as an overall point Tv income in the championship is one twentieth of a PL game - he compared games between 'smaller' PL clubs with low fan bases and 'larger' Championship clubs with higher fan bases 

 

ambitious clubs in the championship trying to be competitive have a higher impact of the covid losses i.e dcfc

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I wouldn't call a £20 (2/3rds) reduction is 'on a knife edge'.

I feel sorry for Mel he's spent a fortune trying to get Derby promoted.

 

He's a Derby fan he did the bounce with the fans.

 

I could never sing get out of our club like fans did yesterday .

 

Short memories south stand get of  his back .

 

We all make mistakes in life and buisness .

 

I may be one of a few but in my eyes he's one of our own. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Monty said:

just fact checking my earlier post

some general financial impacts MM mentioned

1. 8 championship clubs receive parachute payments of between £12-£42m pa 

2. L1 promoted clubs have a much lower salary cost with a 5.5m tv and solidarity payment

There was a simple retort to this - that still leaves another 12 clubs, wh are they not also entering administration if this is all down to Covid?

Why are these interviewers unable to think on their feet instead of just asking pre prepared questions?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Ramfan1958 said:

I feel sorry for Mel he's spent a fortune trying to get Derby promoted.

He's a Derby fan he did the bounce with the fans.

I could never sing get out of our club like fans did yesterday .

Short memories south stand get of  his back .

We all make mistakes in life and buisness .

I may be one of a few but in my eyes he's one of our own. 

He has risked the livelihoods of lots innocent employees rather than standing up and meeting the obligations he subjected himself to as custodian of our club.

I have sympathy with him to an extent but when a businessman, with a reported net wealth of £500m, leaves people on minimum wage in the lurch, its hard to shed too many tears.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Tombo said:

I don't think it's as simple as Mel handing the stadium back to us at this point.

For him to do that, after we avoided falling foul of P&S by selling it, we risk the EFL opening that case up again and positing that he has deliberately sold it back to us far under the market value (I.e. £0).

That market value was argued about relentlessly and now legally we know what it's worth.

If we want Pride Park back the price is £80million. Possibly more if the price of the land rises further.

We'll probably never own the ground again until we can get into the Premier League and get away from P&S.

Mel could sell it back to the club for whatever he fancies, so long as he's not part of the ownership in any way.

The only reason he had to pay that valuation was because he was a related party to the transaction, which wouldn't be the case if ownership was elsewhere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

I remember CharlotteRam starting a thread a few weeks back with virtually the same content, think it was entitled something like the fans are to blame for all of this....

It either got shut down or it was subject to so much ridicule that it got locked.

Is that the same @Charlotte Ram who was scathing of posters a few weeks back that Mel would consider Administration?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, sage said:

so if we were only £4m over (4 point penalty) why do the EFL want 9 points plus 3 suspended ? Was that mentioned?

Also did MM day he didn't know why we didn't get the £8.3m or did he refuse to say why?

He sort of discussed the EFL money and was pretty vague on the detail of why we didn't get it. Said the club was still pulling together the detail required I think..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.