On the Inside with Wayne Rooney

RoyMac5

27 minutes ago, David said:

I didn't see it advertised anywhere as a documentary. 

Everyone moans that we're always the centre of negative press, yet here we are with one of the games modern greats nipping into Moor Farm, speaking positively about the work Rooney is doing and look at the reaction.

And why does the win stat over this year and last season need to be churned out day after day, last season is gone, it's over.

This season it's clear to see performances have improved and we're sat higher in the table than clubs with far more experienced managers and squads at their disposal. 

When's the guy gonna be given a break? Maybe there is a positive atmosphere behind the scenes, which is great to hear, can we not just enjoy a bit of positivity amongst all the daily doom gloom.

Rooney himself in the film calls it a documentary David. If it's behind the scenes and an inside perspective on what is happening then it's perfectly valid to label it a documentary. After-all documentaries often need sources that are beyond the reach of the common person to make their films and Rio is documenting things that are going on at the club i.e., a documentary. 

why shouldn't the win stat be carried over? Just because we're into a new season doesn't mean we automatically forget about past form and stats. It doesn't magically become a clean slate where all is forgotten unless you do that with every other manager and everyone is just judged on the season rather than prior history. Losing and winning are habits that are easily picked up and we're in a bad habit of accepting terrible results.  If you don't want it carried over our win ratio this season is 14%. 

we're on 1 point per game which is almost exactly where we were last season points wise and we've played 4 of the bottom 6 teams in that run. He'll be given a break when he starts winning games for me. Yes of course you can, I'm just giving my point of view which is that I'm not particularly sympathetic to this kind of video that glosses over what are severe problems at the club as Rooney's pal goes on about how great he is and how lucky we are to have him. 

Edited by Leeds Ram

3 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

we're on 1 point per game which is almost exactly where we were last season points wise and we've played 4 of the bottom 6 teams in that run. He'll be given a break when he starts winning games for me. Yes of course you can, I'm just giving my point of view which is that I'm not particularly sympathetic to this kind of video that glosses over what are severe problems at the club. 

What kind of 'sack-cloth and ashes' video were you hoping for? ? Or were thinking you might see a second set of accounts lying about?

14 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

Rooney himself in the film calls it a documentary David. If it's behind the scenes and an inside perspective on what is happening then it's perfectly valid to label it a documentary. After-all documentaries often need sources that are beyond the reach of the common person to make their films and Rio is documenting things that are going on at the club i.e., a documentary. 

why shouldn't the win stat be carried over? Just because we're into a new season doesn't mean we automatically forget about past form and stats. It doesn't magically become a clean slate where all is forgotten unless you do that with every other manager and everyone is just judged on the season rather than prior history. Losing and winning are habits that are easily picked up and we're in a bad habit of accepting terrible results.  If you don't want it carried over our win ratio this season is 14%. 

we're on 1 point per game which is almost exactly where we were last season points wise and we've played 4 of the bottom 6 teams in that run. He'll be given a break when he starts winning games for me. Yes of course you can, I'm just giving my point of view which is that I'm not particularly sympathetic to this kind of video that glosses over what are severe problems at the club as Rooney's pal goes on about how great he is and how lucky we are to have him. 

I'm sorry some positivity regarding our manager has upset you so much. My thoughts are with you during this difficult time.

1 minute ago, David said:

I'm sorry some positivity regarding our manager has upset you so much. My thoughts are with you during this difficult time.

It hasn't upset me I just don't see the value in this kind of video that operates as nothing more than a pr exercise for a manager who hasn't been able to buy us a win over the last 25 games. 

1 minute ago, Leeds Ram said:

It hasn't upset me I just don't see the value in this kind of video that operates as nothing more than a pr exercise for a manager who hasn't been able to buy us a win over the last 25 games. 

As I say, my thoughts are with you during this difficult time, I hope the Daily Mail give you some content to get your teeth into soon x

Some may have heard this recent BBC Sounds chat between Rooney and his long-time (Everton) pal and boxer, Tony Bellew.

It does put Rooney's outlook into context, regarding playing, managing, family, media attention....and he talks about his approach to his DCFC role and man-management.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p09vmsj4

He isn't the waster or dunce that (other fans and media) people like to caricature him as being.

Of course his managerial record is poor, no denying, but this (hour-long) feature does infuse you with more respect for his achievements, abilities, aspirations, and his methods as DCFC manager.

If only the club could make progress and back him to develop himself and the squad as wished.

5 hours ago, Turk Thrust said:

Loved it. Great insight into the training and good to see the training ground and the inside of Moor Farm

It might not be totally impartial, granted, but I'm in your camp, @Turk Thrust.  It was positive and upbeat and just what I needed to hear! It was like a snickers bar to a hungry ant!! Thanks, @RoyMac5.

7 minutes ago, Miggins said:

It might not be totally impartial, granted, but I'm in your camp, @Turk Thrust.  It was positive and upbeat and just what I needed to hear! It was like a snickers bar to a hungry ant!! Thanks, @RoyMac5.

Listen to the podcast linked below - really interesting stuff. #COYR 

1 hour ago, Woodypecker said:

...BBC Sounds chat between Rooney and his long-time (Everton) pal and boxer, Tony Bellew.

It does put Rooney's outlook into context, regarding playing, managing, family, media attention....and he talks about his approach to his DCFC role and man-management.

He isn't the waster or dunce that (other fans and media) people like to caricature him as being.

Edited by RoyMac5

1 hour ago, Woodypecker said:

Some may have heard this recent BBC Sounds chat between Rooney and his long-time (Everton) pal and boxer, Tony Bellew.

Of course his managerial record is poor, no denying, but this (hour-long) feature does infuse you with more respect for his achievements, abilities, aspirations, and his methods as DCFC manager.

If only the club could make progress and back him to develop himself and the squad as wished.

Thanks for this.

Interesting that the biggest rollocking the players have had was after the 2-1 win against Wycombe as the performance didn’t represent who he is.

Just like the fans, you have to accept defeat at times as you’re just not good enough on the day/night, but just walk off the pitch knowing you have given it your all. 

Other than that, again comes across as a quiet, private bloke, not interested in the fame, the brand, and whilst some will say you shouldn’t go into the game if you don’t want the fame, kinda find it sad that he has to mentally prepare himself just to go to a theme park. How people would queue up waiting for him for pictures whilst his kids are getting frustrated, even getting calls on his family days off.

He has been paid well over the years as “compensation” if you like for this, true, but it still just feels a bit sad, in and around the ground wearing the club gear yeah, but when you’re with your family, you have to respect that really.

Not that the media have any respect, the story he told where his sister in law was ill, pre warned and asked the photographers not to use flashes as it could trigger a seizure they didn’t give a poo and did it anyway, that’s just scummy, totally scummy.

13 minutes ago, David said:

Thanks for this.

Interesting that the biggest rollocking the players have had was after the 2-1 win against Wycombe as the performance didn’t represent who he is.

Just like the fans, you have to accept defeat at times as you’re just not good enough on the day/night, but just walk off the pitch knowing you have given it your all. 

Other than that, again comes across as a quiet, private bloke, not interested in the fame, the brand, and whilst some will say you shouldn’t go into the game if you don’t want the fame, kinda find it sad that he has to mentally prepare himself just to go to a theme park. How people would queue up waiting for him for pictures whilst his kids are getting frustrated, even getting calls on his family days off.

He has been paid well over the years as “compensation” if you like for this, true, but it still just feels a bit sad, in and around the ground wearing the club gear yeah, but when you’re with your family, you have to respect that really.

Not that the media have any respect, the story he told where his sister in law was ill, pre warned and asked the photographers not to use flashes as it could trigger a seizure they didn’t give a poo and did it anyway, that’s just scummy, totally scummy.

I get this I also feel the claims that he undermined Cocu just to get the job extremely odd.  Yeh the multi million footballer with a worldwide brand gets here and thinks my god I must do everything to get this gig it is the best thing in football makes no sense to me.  Not sure what we have done to deserve his loyalty throughout the mess this club has become but he deserves credit at least for not abandoning us.

7 minutes ago, Spanish said:

Not sure what we have done to deserve his loyalty throughout the mess this club has become but he deserves credit at least for not abandoning us.

Not knowing the bloke, can only guess, but with all these people telling him he could have walked after last season, head held high after keeping us up.

Maybe he sees just surviving not enough, he wants more than that, either way like him or not, as you say he does deserve credit. 

It's been an immensely difficult job, especially the first in management.