Stoke at home

Derby blood

Back by popular demand. 

After a hard fought point against WBA, now we turn our attentions to Stoke at home on Saturday, if we show the same heart, and a little bit more care in front of goal i believe we will win this 2-0, goals from Jozwiak and Lawrence, 3 points on saturday, could give this team a real confidence boost. 

It's interesting that just the addition of Knight feels as if it gives us more depth. And even though Fozzy remains suspended, what an opportunity for Dylan Williams (who had the most touches by far of a Derby player against West Brom).

It was an immense effort to earn the point against the Baggies. The question for Rooney is whether he changes an undefeated team? I think he probably should, bringing Morrison into the reckoning. 

The re-signing of Davies and the signing of Jagielka look to be masterstrokes and we have a solidity at the back as a result. And building from the back is the right thing to do. But we all know, if we're to stay up we need to find a way to start scoring goals. Does Baldock do enough up front? I'd consider Stretton instead, but I'd also be open to the false number nine thing we tried against the Gumps.

Need to get further up the pitch and be able to play much more of the game in forward areas to create chances. 

To get 2-0 usually implies we will have the majority of shots - we won't win many games if the chances are 20+ to 4 in favour of the opposition. 

Maybe a midfield 3 of bird Knight and Morrison linking to the forwards? 

I get the impression that O'Neill has, slowly but methodically, adapted Stoke's style of play to something more appealing. They're still a pretty muscular team, so it will be a physical challenge too, but a welcome change from the last two games. So I'm hoping for more of a football contest, but a tough game nonetheless. 

A point wouldn't be a bad result, a win would be fantastic. 

I expect Morrison and Bird to return, so it's a question of Knight or Shinnie : my guess is it will be the former, which will be a test of Bird's resilience in the holding roll. 

We’re at home so I would expect us to revert to playing out from the back. The fact Rooney himself said he didn’t like watching the game yesterday and said it’s ugly football Derby fans won’t like watching would also suggest it’s an occasional plan B.

Performance first half v Forest and taking our chances I think we can win this one. If we go for a win and get a draw that would also be an ok result. 

My team would be as follows:

Roos

Byrne         Jagielka      Davies    Buchanan 

Knight        Bird

Sibley       Morrison      Jozwiak 

Lawrence 

Same as Forest but Buchanan and Knight in for Foz and Shinnie. Bird is good defensively and is better at getting us playing from deep with his passing breaking the lines, Knight gives us energy, can break up play but also can support the front 4. Definitely need to tweak the full backs tactics at times for this one, can’t have both Byrne and Buchanan pushing right up unless we’re well on top.

6 hours ago, sage said:

We need to go back to how we played in the first few games. Yesterday, whilst brave, has to be a one off.

Surely, we don't have to play one way or another, can't we mix it up a bit?

Last night, there were a few opportunities for Roos to play the ball short to a defender, who wasn't under pressure. By mixing it up during a game, you don't let the opposition settle into a pattern of play.

1 hour ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

We’re at home so I would expect us to revert to playing out from the back. The fact Rooney himself said he didn’t like watching the game yesterday and said it’s ugly football Derby fans won’t like watching would also suggest it’s an occasional plan B.

Performance first half v Forest and taking our chances I think we can win this one. If we go for a win and get a draw that would also be an ok result. 

My team would be as follows:

Roos

Byrne         Jagielka      Davies    Buchanan 

Knight        Bird

Sibley       Morrison      Jozwiak 

Lawrence 

Same as Forest but Buchanan and Knight in for Foz and Shinnie. Bird is good defensively and is better at getting us playing from deep with his passing breaking the lines, Knight gives us energy, can break up play but also can support the front 4. Definitely need to tweak the full backs tactics at times for this one, can’t have both Byrne and Buchanan pushing right up unless we’re well on top.

More or less think that's the line we should go with. One thing I think is that we might be better shifting to a 433 with that midfield as I think it would suit the personnel and possibly help with moving the ball through the lines. With that said I can understand the merit in sticking with a 4231 and keep developing it. 

34 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

More or less think that's the line we should go with. One thing I think is that we might be better shifting to a 433 with that midfield as I think it would suit the personnel and possibly help with moving the ball through the lines. With that said I can understand the merit in sticking with a 4231 and keep developing it. 

I suspect it would end up being a 4-3-3 anyway because of Morrison's tendency to come deep & then move up the park. Ideally, I'd prefer him to stay as a number 10 & utilise his creativity and quick feet in their final third - it would also open space for Sibley & Jozwiak and get him closer to Lawrence.

Bird is capable of quality through the lines into the front 4 & Knight is a decent 'fetcher & carrier' so would think it unnecessary for Ravel to come as deep as he has so far this season.

2 hours ago, Big Bad Bob said:

I'd like us to try and use a 442 like we did against Shef Wed with Waghorn and CKR up front. Created opportunities and scored. With Davies and Jags at the back, surely we have to try it at some point? But probably not as WR wants to play out from the back and stick with 4231.

Nice idea but we haven’t got Waghorn or CKR or anything like them