Holiday Plans 2022

Angry Ram

2 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Isnt it Mexico where you go and are told not to leave the hotel complex or is that somewhere else?

Can’t see the point of that unless it’s just for a Facebook/insta picture opportunity or Willy waving competition?

No, it's not Mexico - certainly not in the resort areas on the caribbean (Yukatan) coast, anyway. I know they do say that in Egypt.

Fab beaches, warm sea & some great old Mayan sites to go & see (Chichen Itza / Tulum etc) & the standard of hotels is the best I've ever been in - presumably because they cater mainly for relatively wealthy US tourists.

• 2 months later...

I'm all of a kerfuffle!  Where does one put a breakaway, when it spans the New Year?  End of '21, or start of '22?

Got 5 nights camping booked from the 29th to 3rd Jan. 
Very top end of The Lakes.  Out in the sticks near Caldbeck, up above Keswick.
Hopefully a nice brisk jaunt up Skiddaw on NYE (daytime, obvs!), and the rest of the break just mooching around in walking boots.  Hopefully no wet gear required! 

It goes without saying, I am praying for snow on our tent, which hasn't happened since Feb '13... not for the lack of trying!
A bit concerned about the 6amp leccy supply.  Just hope our teeny-weeny fan heater doesn't trip!  

Fingers crossed for crisp sunny days, clear star-studded nights, and deserted tourist spots!

There is a shameful caveat though... as has now become tradition over the past 5 or 6 New Years (apart from the last one, due to covid), we'll be joined by my niece and her fella... who very kindly bring their caravan with them, so at least the evenings will be spent in shorts, tee-shirts, and their hot air blown heating set on full! 
No doubt joined by James Bond and Jools Holland on the big night, as they also have a telly in there!  I know, ridiculous, innit!  We're supposed to be camping! 
Mr J Daniels will defo be there, along with a few of his moist friends.  A warming aperitif or two is very much a necessity on these kind of trips!  

#prayforsnow

1 hour ago, Mucker1884 said:

I'm all of a kerfuffle!  Where does one put a breakaway, when it spans the New Year?  End of '21, or start of '22?

Got 5 nights camping booked from the 29th to 3rd Jan. 
Very top end of The Lakes.  Out in the sticks near Caldbeck, up above Keswick.
Hopefully a nice brisk jaunt up Skiddaw on NYE (daytime, obvs!), and the rest of the break just mooching around in walking boots.  Hopefully no wet gear required! 

It goes without saying, I am praying for snow on our tent, which hasn't happened since Feb '13... not for the lack of trying!
A bit concerned about the 6amp leccy supply.  Just hope our teeny-weeny fan heater doesn't trip!  

Fingers crossed for crisp sunny days, clear star-studded nights, and deserted tourist spots!

There is a shameful caveat though... as has now become tradition over the past 5 or 6 New Years (apart from the last one, due to covid), we'll be joined by my niece and her fella... who very kindly bring their caravan with them, so at least the evenings will be spent in shorts, tee-shirts, and their hot air blown heating set on full! 
No doubt joined by James Bond and Jools Holland on the big night, as they also have a telly in there!  I know, ridiculous, innit!  We're supposed to be camping! 
Mr J Daniels will defo be there, along with a few of his moist friends.  A warming aperitif or two is very much a necessity on these kind of trips!  

#prayforsnow

I know that feeling mate, a couple of months after buying the van I still feel like  I’m cheating not using the tent. Well  until we crank up the air conditioning! Not real sure about camping in snow though.

On 13/09/2021 at 18:34, Eddie said:

Belgian trips I am still hoping for Bruges in February and Ostend in August for the beer festivals. 

UK stuff: Kings Lynn at Easter, Mevagissey in July and any number of long weekends.

Update - Bruges beer festival cancelled (not surprising really).

• 2 months later...
44 minutes ago, Ovine_Interferer said:

I'm planning on a wee break in Cyprus to spend a bit of time with a Rams Fan in exile (my son, who serves in the RAF over there).

He bimbles around the island in a different Rams shirt every day, much like I did in the 90's when I was posted over there ?

Hope you get to the club shop before you visit. You can take him some of the training gear, he might not have seen it. 

Our UK trip is coming around fast with just a few days to fill. Land at Heathrow May 23 and spend a couple of days in London. We then have 6 days which  we most likely will be in Derby. June 1 to June 30 we have a unit in Edinburgh then most probably Glasgow for a few days before we start our West Highland walk to Fort William. After that most likely wing it till flying home August 3.

Several things that seem to be affecting my general upbeat mood, have sent me on an Internet mission tonight, so I’m now again feeling a bit more content having booked a trip to Kefalonia in August. Last time I went there with the missus, my eldest appeared 9 months later; this time he’s coming along to get drunk with me and stop any romantic notions I might have, under the influence.

On 22/02/2022 at 11:02, Mostyn6 said:

Hope you get to the club shop before you visit. You can take him some of the training gear, he might not have seen it. 

I think he's a massive online shopper, so he'll have it all, I'm sure!  I do remember when I was posted out there, I flew out in my brand new Rams shirt, the one with zig-zag round the sleeve.

• 2 months later...

Just a word up before we finish the season, and some of us consider jetting off (Or driving through a tunnel, in my case) to warmer climes...

Listen carefully...

Passports... EU Land...

Many of us last renewed our passports early, and the remaining validity on the previous passport was added.
For instance, at the time of issue (Feb 2013), Muckerette's passport was then valid to May 2023... 10 years + 3months.
Mine was issued Oct 2014, and is valid until June 2025... 10 years + 8 months.

Some folk are now reportedly being turned away at EU borders, or being refused entry on to flights, as per the following .gov advice:

Your passport must meet 2 requirements. It must be:

less than 10 years old on the day you enter (check the ‘date of issue’)

valid for at least 3 months after the day you plan to leave (check the ‘expiry date’)

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/france/entry-requirements

I'm sure many of us are already aware we need that 3 month validity when we return home.
But that 10 year old ruling is catching some folk out!

So, as an example, (should these rules still be in place and followed), Mine would be no good to me (For EU countries) from Nov 2024, despite still having 7 months to the expiry date... DUE TO BEING MORE THAN 10 YEARS OLD.

Don't get caught out... and don't shoot the messenger!

Happy Holidays, everyone.
??

Has anyone been to Manchester airport recently? How were the queues? Media hype or was it real squeaky bum time making it to your gate?

We travel on Saturday morning from Terminal 3.

Edited by JoetheRam

2 hours ago, JoetheRam said:

Has anyone been to Manchester airport recently? How were the queues? Media hype or was it real squeaky bum time making it to your gate?

We travel on Saturday morning from Terminal 3.

I flew from there week before easter when it was all over the news. I paid a fiver to get through the fast lane, left derby at 6am for a flight at 13.30. I also had to park the car. I wizzed through the security checks and texted the wife that i was at the gate at 8.30! The normal queu was busy but nothing like what was reported. I flew Ryanair but cant remember the terminal. Coming back was also no trouble. One thing to say is i travel light jusst a backpack to avoid rip off luggage fees so no checking rewuired