WBA Away

Derby blood

16 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Er...fair to say no-one called that starting XI.

Think 3 at the back makes sense given the incoming bombardment. Really pleased to see Dylan Williams given a starting berth also, he must be made up. Hope he enjoys the experience.

But for me, dropping Bird & Morrison in a game where we need to control possession to keep them off us, is decidedly unwise. Its almost like we don't want the ball putting Knight & Shinnie in the middle & that's just going to invite pressure and constant delivery launched into our box.

Shades of Cardiff away in March. Hope I'm wrong.

West Brom are a good team at this level, so this might sound funny. But they’re a team who want to get the ball forward quickly. They’re a play at 100mph all the time team. I think Wayne’s thinking is play 2 runners/battlers in the middle for the first half to try and keep up with them and break things up. Second half, when we tend to tire, we have Ravel Bird and Lawrence to come on and change things up. West Brom will also naturally have tired moments in the second half, so those may be the moments to take our chances

You never quite know what's going to happen but looking at that team, it feels like he's thrown it to save players for the home game on Saturday. 

Hope I'm wrong. Feel slightly peeved for the fans that have made the time, effort and expenditure to go this evening.

Like I say, hope I'm wrong. COYR. 

Edited by Archie

21 minutes ago, AGR said:

Is anyone else listening to this nonsense from Ed Dawes slagging off Roos before a ball has been kicked? Roos has hardly put a foot wrong this season, he should’ve saved forests goal but I’ll let him off as he did a great save just before. 

What's about the foot wrong against Birmingham last week in the first half?

Or weren't you talking literally 

2 minutes ago, Archie said:

You never quite know what's going to happen but looking at that team, it feels like he's thrown it to save players for the home game on Saturday. 

Hope I'm wrong. Feel slightly peeved for the fans that have made the time, effort and expenditure to go this evening.

Is that based on Morrison and Lawrence not starting? 

2 minutes ago, Archie said:

I don’t get this take either. Surely if Rooney was throwing the game, he would have rested Jags and/or Davies? He’s made a couple of changes, which is obviously part of his plan.

24 minutes ago, AGR said:

Is anyone else listening to this nonsense from Ed Dawes slagging off Roos before a ball has been kicked? Roos has hardly put a foot wrong this season, he should’ve saved forests goal but I’ll let him off as he did a great save just before. 

Speaking about Marshall like he's world class but he's the one who was making too many mistakes last season.

2 minutes ago, r4derby said:

West Brom are a good team at this level, so this might sound funny. But they’re a team who want to get the ball forward quickly. They’re a play at 100mph all the time team. I think Wayne’s thinking is play 2 runners/battlers in the middle for the first half to try and keep up with them and break things up. Second half, when we tend to tire, we have Ravel Bird and Lawrence to come on and change things up. West Brom will also naturally have tired moments in the second half, so those may be the moments to take our chances

You're right regarding West Brom's style but a midfield that concedes possession as much as Knight/Shinnie will just give them numerous opportunities to launch the ball at us. The best way to stop that bombardment (in my opinion) is to starve them of the ball & cut down their outlets from out wide. Also fear our front men will be totally isolated unless we're just looking to hit it long into space behind their wing backs - we don't have the quality to play through their press now.

There is merit in your point that West Brom will tire second half (and their press therefore less intense) & at that point, we could look to play our natural game. My concern is that we could be out the game by that stage though.

37 minutes ago, AGR said:

Ed Dawes is like one of those annoying political pundits who just loves provoking people by asking questions they would never answer, spreading dirt, making a scandal, when what we all really want from “reporters” is information. He is a speaking version of a low rent tabloid newspaper