WBA Away

Derby blood

We are playing to avoid relegation this season nothing else especially when we can’t sign any forwards so every point gained is a point won in that quest - without the supporters and our two hugely experienced centre half’s we would fold with so many youngsters playing regularly but those two centre half’s are a total inspiration to all who play and watch from our point of view.

1 hour ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

I thought his punching was outstanding to be fair. Those corners in the first half were wicked, right on top of him, being crowded by their players as well, there were three corners where if he hadn’t punched at all they would’ve gone in direct from the corner, he did well just get something on them.

Im not a Roos fan but last night wasn’t just his best performance for the Rams, it was IMO the best performance from a Rams goalkeeper that possibly I’ve ever seen in 30 years, or since the great Mr Poom - difference with Poom is that he delivered every week, we are talking one game here but credit where credit is due, he was outstanding 

He did a good job last night, He now needs to carry that on for the rest of the season, Not his biggest fan, Not a hater either, It would appear he's more suited to how we played last night rather than Friday night, Shot stopping was top drawer, Punching and claiming the ball he did well enough, One Swallow doesn't make a Summer, I hope he watches the full game back as I beleive they do, Roos can improve by being consistant.

Back line were great for him, 1st line of defence gave him more confidence, With that the defence had confidence in him, They looked a pretty good unit.

A special mention to the Premier league Ref, Bladdy awfull, How is it you let WBA clean the ball for their long throws but picked us up for slowing the game down, I guess all fans see their team penalised more than the opposition...but we seem to be penalised more ?, A blatent push in the back on Sibley I think and he plays on for them to cross the ball, And yet a simple touch on their players and it's a foul, Oh well that's just me being blinkered I guess.

Slept well, And my couple of hours at work this Morning was more enjoyable than normal after a DCFC game.

The thing is with all these comments about Roos' performance (and keepers in general down the years) it's a team game and nowhere is that more obvious and important than that partnership between keeper and central defence. You get an understanding as you learn what the others are going to do in certain situations and what their strengths are.

From a keeper perspective, if you find that you don't trust your central defence as they sometimes lose a man or regularly get outjumped then you find yourself coming for crosses that perhaps you wouldn't. Likewise, as a central defender, if your keeper gets caught flat footed on his line and doesn't deal with crosses then you find yourself perhaps stretching for a header that you'd ideally leave for the keeper, possibly resulting in failing to clear the lines properly or heading vertically and chaos ensues. The opposition also notice and then just keep swinging it into the same zone of uncertainty.

Confidence breeds confidence in the partnership between central defence and keeper and while we'd ideally have slightly younger versions of Jags and Davies, their decision making is honed by years of experience and the keeper really benefits from this because some of the more risky decision making is made for you.

Really pleased for Roos and the defence last night. That was a massive test and they showed huge determination and resilience. Sure, West Brom probably should still have won but you give yourself a shot of getting something from the game if you make the opposition score their goals rather than gifting them freebies.

4 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I guess we can look at it two ways.

If it’s a game we tried to win then we were absolutely awful. Zero shots on target, couldn’t get out our own half in the second period. Sam Johnstone literally had nothing to do other than a few routine goalkicks.

On the flip side, if it’s a game we looked to avoid defeat at all costs, then it was a brilliant backs-to-the-wall display. Kelle Roos outstanding.

Depends how we want to look at it I suppose.

I don’t see how we could have done much more. West Brom are vastly superior in terms of quality at their disposal. If we had tried to win and be open/expansive, we would almost certainly have lost.

A point gained. But it will mean little if we can’t follow it up with a home win as so far we have been underwhelming at Pride Park.

are you not aware of our predicament?  this is a relegation battle season, very point is valuable and you get no points for style

woke up this morning with no voice but an immense pride in my football team , being there with our wonderful away support cheering on the lads who showed great desire to protect what could be a valuable point was a great experience, it certainly feels like the management , team and fans are in this together , well done Wayne and a big shout out to Kelle and his defenders who were simply outstanding last night , proud of you all COYR

3 hours ago, sage said:

Best in 30 years? Really?

Well you tell me. I can’t remember a game where we’ve had our backs to the wall like that and the keeper has had to do so much. Only one I can remember is Poom versus Everton at home where we won 1-0 and he had 4 entries in sky sports save of the week from the same game. That was the 00/01 season so 21 seasons ago (I did say 30 years - my period of watching the team or since Poom) he had several performances like that during that season but Everton was the stand out. 

I’ve never given anyone a rating of 10 on here. It was that good IMO, but so out of keeping with the rest of his performances where he averages 6 at best.

1 minute ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Well you tell me. I can’t remember a game where we’ve had our backs to the wall like that and the keeper has had to do so much. Only one I can remember is Poom versus Everton at home where we won 1-0 and he had 4 entries in sky sports save of the week from the same game. That was the 00/01 season so 21 seasons ago (I did say 30 years - my period of watching the team or since Poom) he had several performances like that during that season but Everton was the stand out. 

I’ve never given anyone a rating of 10 on here. It was that good IMO, but so out of keeping with the rest of his performances where he averages 6 at best.

which saves would you not except a decent keeper to save 8 or 9 times out of 10?

3 hours ago, derbydaz22 said:

Best in 30 years? Come on he made some good saves but every cross he either flaps or refuses to come and collect. He played well last night but he still scares the hell out of me when the opposition get crosses in but we have 2 experienced players in Davies and Jags who are winning everything in the air at the moment.

See my comments back to Sage. We are talking one game only, I don’t rate him but last nights performance in my years of watching Derby, then other than Poom I can’t remember a performance from a Derby keeper as good as that. I might be missing one somewhere so happy to be educated on that.

Youre also right in that Jags and Davies are equally important, I scored them 8 and 9 respectively last night also.

4 minutes ago, sage said:

which saves would you not except a decent keeper to save 8 or 9 times out of 10?

It wasn’t just the saves, it was the commanding of his box under aerial bombardment which frankly I’ve rarely seen and not for many years, and quality of corners and set pieces like I haven’t seen at this level - he stopped 3 goals direct from corners with punches. The savings were good, a couple of top draw ones especially the one at the end. 

Name me a keeping performance from a Derby keeper better than last night. I’m happy to be educated, I don’t think I’ve seen one since at least Poom.

But we are talking about one game - this does not change my opinion on Roos, I’d prefer to see Marshall in goal. He has to use this to be more consistent and win me over.

1 minute ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

It wasn’t just the saves, it was the commanding of his box under aerial bombardment which frankly I’ve rarely seen and not for many years, and quality of corners and set pieces like I haven’t seen at this level - he stopped 3 goals direct from corners with punches. The savings were good, a couple of top draw ones especially the one at the end. 

Name me a keeping performance from a Derby keeper better than last night. I’m happy to be educated, I don’t think I’ve seen one since at least Poom.

But we are talking about one game - this does not change my opinion on Roos, I’d prefer to see Marshall in goal. He has to use this to be more consistent and win me over.

Fair comments, there were one or two crazy Carson matches where he and Keogh saved us so many times although I can’t remember exactly which matches and opposition but Roos was immense last night. Football fans are fickle and suddenly if we concede next game, he will get flak. Just like Byrne earlier this season. Suddenly becomes a bad player. 

13 hours ago, Grumpy Git said:

I know its 'ifs and buts', but how good would the 90th minute score at Posh look now if that was the final result? ?

That match was a double-whammy. Not only did we lose CKR, our most experienced goal scorer, for several matches and counting, but it contributed almost wholly to the extra 11 minutes in which a win turned into a loss. You could hardly make it up, but it seems to be the norm for the Rams these days.

3 hours ago, Unlucky Alf said:

He did a good job last night, He now needs to carry that on for the rest of the season, Not his biggest fan, Not a hater either, It would appear he's more suited to how we played last night rather than Friday night, Shot stopping was top drawer, Punching and claiming the ball he did well enough, One Swallow doesn't make a Summer, I hope he watches the full game back as I beleive they do, Roos can improve by being consistant.

Back line were great for him, 1st line of defence gave him more confidence, With that the defence had confidence in him, They looked a pretty good unit.

A special mention to the Premier league Ref, Bladdy awfull, How is it you let WBA clean the ball for their long throws but picked us up for slowing the game down, I guess all fans see their team penalised more than the opposition...but we seem to be penalised more ?, A blatent push in the back on Sibley I think and he plays on for them to cross the ball, And yet a simple touch on their players and it's a foul, Oh well that's just me being blinkered I guess.

Slept well, And my couple of hours at work this Morning was more enjoyable than normal after a DCFC game.

No it isnt blinkered my hubbie said same - he suffers it for me but not biased even for quiet life

7 hours ago, angieram said:

Oh, yes, totally agree, but you said Shinnie should never start ahead of Bird. Last night Rooney got it spot on. 

Horses for courses, as they say! 

Yes I agree it worked last night and when I said never I meant as a footballer I would never pick Shinnie over Bird so it’s a good job I’m not picking the team. ??

If you are struggling to score goals then you have to become hard to beat , yes we had a bit of luck in there but when your defending as a team and giving little away the other side often snatch at chances and miss a few they should score so you kind of make your own luck to a degree , we have our share of bad luck , good point , proper fighting spirit and Roos was superb ,

on to the next game as they say , one game at a time and squeeze every last drop from each game ,

no moans from me about the lack of chances we created as we have to start somewhere and this season is backs against the wall time 

9 hours ago, angieram said:

last night was one of around 6-10 games this season (depending on form) where we realistically can expect a point at best; maybe three points only if the stars really align.

Truth is the stars did align and we got a point  Most likely result playing like that was between 1-0 and 5-0