WBA Away

Derby blood

1 minute ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

I thought his punching was outstanding to be fair. Those corners in the first half were wicked, right on top of him, being crowded by their players as well, there were three corners where if he hadn’t punched at all they would’ve gone in direct from the corner, he did well just get something on them.

Im not a Roos fan but last night wasn’t just his best performance for the Rams, it was IMO the best performance from a Rams goalkeeper that possibly I’ve ever seen in 30 years, or since the great Mr Poom - difference with Poom is that he delivered every week, we are talking one game here but credit where credit is due, he was outstanding 

Best in 30 years? Really?

7 hours ago, rammieib said:

Watching the highlights on Sky, wow, their clear cut chances were really clear cut. It'll take us five games to create the same clear cut chances they had.

However, then you need luck and we got it.

I thought Davies was a monster tonight.

Davies was immense last night what a Pro he is.

25 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Bit surprised to see the ratings for Derby players last night. 

Fine to give the keeper and defence good marrks but we created nothing, our passing was awful and we didn't win so eights and nines rather generous. 

We have to use the ball much more effectively on Saturday or we will get taken apart and we won't keep the ball with Sibley and Baldock up front. 

I'm not CKR's biggest fan but we're crying out for his return just for some sort of physical presence. 

And Dylan Williams did us proud last night. I'd love to see him again on Saturday. 

Totally agree on CKR without him the ball just keeps coming back and Shinnie the effort is there but his passing and control is pretty poor he should never start in front of Bird.

Really good defensive display especially the two centrebacks and Roos. These type of games are ones where we grind out a point here and a point there. Over the season these points gained can add up to hopefully keep us in this division. There is a togetherness with the team and the fans (who were awesome) last night. Long may it continue. Pride Park should be rocking when Stoke turn up. For those fans who haven't been so far this season, come on down and sample the atmosphere. It is getting back towards the early days of PP (eg Southampton; Brighton). UTR!

8 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

I thought his punching was outstanding to be fair. Those corners in the first half were wicked, right on top of him, being crowded by their players as well, there were three corners where if he hadn’t punched at all they would’ve gone in direct from the corner, he did well just get something on them.

Im not a Roos fan but last night wasn’t just his best performance for the Rams, it was IMO the best performance from a Rams goalkeeper that possibly I’ve ever seen in 30 years, or since the great Mr Poom - difference with Poom is that he delivered every week, we are talking one game here but credit where credit is due, he was outstanding 

Best in 30 years? Come on he made some good saves but every cross he either flaps or refuses to come and collect. He played well last night but he still scares the hell out of me when the opposition get crosses in but we have 2 experienced players in Davies and Jags who are winning everything in the air at the moment.

For those bemoaning the lack of attacking presence and goal threat, I can understand to some extent- it’s not an easy watch. But my view is that last night was one of around 6-10 games this season (depending on form) where we realistically can expect a point at best; maybe three points only if the stars really align.

So sacrificing that goal threat for a few games to put us in a better place to pick up bonus points against the top, top sides- that’s fine by me. The situation we’re in, we have to sometimes sacrifice style to survive.

What I am more concerned about is the lack of goal threat in games where we should really be hoping for more than a point. Stoke at home is an interesting test- they’ve started well this season, but I think nearly all of us are hoping for a more open game as we chase a win at home.

8 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

What was lucky about it?

Our defenders are there to defend and our goalkeeper is there to keep the ball out of the net.

Our defensive players and goalkeeper, between them, did their jobs brilliantly.

Don't remember anything too lucky happening for us.

For the first time in ages I'm thinking you're not a troll!

There were two really dangerous chances for them, the one across goal and the diving header. Spot on, the defence did it's job. Midfield fought and tried. We have only Baldock and Stretton as recognised strikers. A really well-earned point, not a lucky point! #COYR

9 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

This sums it up well. Don’t want to take away from the effort, because it was great. But we got very lucky tonight.

Clean sheets aren't luck They are skilled into the game in nearly sixty years of watching the game I have never seen a clean sheet where luck was involved, there are only two reasons.

1. The attacking team are rubbish or, 

2. The defending team had a stormer.

Last night it wasn't the first one.

I also think our defending  is excellent in general, as Roy Mac alludes to the problem is in the other half of the pitch.

Edited by I DONT MIND

Considering all the circumstances, I think that is a great point. Whether it was profligate finishing, luck or tactical genius no longer matters. All credit to the goalkeeper for making some good saves and the whole team for standing strong. I like this team far more than the ones we have had in recent years - they have character and togetherness and are giving everything. The manager has to take some credit for that. Long may it continue. Up the Rams! 

10 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Defence looks alright only conceding 6 in 7 and 3 of them were gifts.    Only scored 4.  We need some goals from somewhere. The 5 minutes against Posh aside which was ridiculous.  

Hoofball without CKR and we’re unlikely to score. If we pay football we showed early on we will score especially when Ebosele is back. But Knight and Shinnie aren’t going to be providing the delivery, will be Morrison, Bird and Watson. 

3 minutes ago, angieram said:

Bird was not the man for the job that needed doing last night, Shinnie was.

Overall I think the difference was mostly down to Shinnie's match experience and the way he 'dealt' with the ref and their players. 

Edited by RoyMac5

23 minutes ago, Sussex Ram said:

For those bemoaning the lack of attacking presence and goal threat, I can understand to some extent- it’s not an easy watch. But my view is that last night was one of around 6-10 games this season (depending on form) where we realistically can expect a point at best; maybe three points only if the stars really align.

So sacrificing that goal threat for a few games to put us in a better place to pick up bonus points against the top, top sides- that’s fine by me. The situation we’re in, we have to sometimes sacrifice style to survive.

What I am more concerned about is the lack of goal threat in games where we should really be hoping for more than a point. Stoke at home is an interesting test- they’ve started well this season, but I think nearly all of us are hoping for a more open game as we chase a win at home.

That's spot on and it will be interesting to see whether Rooney is brave enough to go back to how he really wants us to play on Saturday.

I hope he does, not least because the Pride Park crowd won't be as  tolerant as we were of the anti-football we saw last night. 

When I say anti-football, it's not a criticism, as it was magnificent in its own way! Feel for West Brom fans, they are having to watch that every week. Will they care if they go up? Probably not! 

2 minutes ago, derbydaz22 said:

I agree because we got a point but going forward this season Bird gives us more control in the middle than Shinnie as he just gives the ball away to easily.

Oh, yes, totally agree, but you said Shinnie should never start ahead of Bird. Last night Rooney got it spot on. 

Horses for courses, as they say! 

4 minutes ago, angieram said:

That's spot on and it will be interesting to see whether Rooney is brave enough to go back to how he really wants us to play on Saturday.

I hope he does, not least because the Pride Park crowd won't be as  tolerant as we were of the anti-football we saw last night. 

When I say anti-football, it's not a criticism, as it was magnificent in its own way! Feel for West Brom fans, they are having to watch that every week. Will they care if they go up? Probably not! 

In his interview post-match he said it wasn't pretty to watch and not how we've wanted to play, so I'd think it was Wayne's Plan B last night. ?

3 hours ago, ossieram said:

If they are allowed to take time to dry the ball and take 2 minutes for every throw in, I don't see why we should rush with the goal kicks. 

I honestly think we should demand the same towel then use it the same and erode the game away from sides that want to to do this and they will soon learn not to use a towel very quickly 

2 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I guess we can look at it two ways.

If it’s a game we tried to win then we were absolutely awful. Zero shots on target, couldn’t get out our own half in the second period. Sam Johnstone literally had nothing to do other than a few routine goalkicks.

On the flip side, if it’s a game we looked to avoid defeat at all costs, then it was a brilliant backs-to-the-wall display. Kelle Roos outstanding.

Depends how we want to look at it I suppose.

I don’t see how we could have done much more. West Brom are vastly superior in terms of quality at their disposal. If we had tried to win and be open/expansive, we would almost certainly have lost.

A point gained. But it will mean little if we can’t follow it up with a home win as so far we have been underwhelming at Pride Park.

The big thing for me is how often we're doing it.  I have no problem with us setting up defensively as a one-off in arguably the most difficult game of the season, particularly off the back of a poor performance again Birmingham.  And by and large we've tried to play decent football this season, even if it hasn't always worked.  What I don't want to see is this style creeping in more and more because it sort of worked here.  We need to stick to our guns and keep trying to make the decent football work for the majority of the time.