Goal celebrations

TigerTedd

My daughter does gymnastics. She’s been doing it for about 6 years now, a couple of hours a week, and she’s currently learning how to do a round off back flippy thing. It’s very similar to what you see footballers doing when they celebrate (often hilariously injuring themselves). 

Just got me wondering where they learn to do that. If it’s taken my daughter 6 years to get to that stage, do footballers have special goal celebration workshops as part of their training?

It’s genetics really. Fast twitch muscle fibers. Aside from being footballers, many are athletic enough they could compete in other sporte as well.

I have a friend who does all that parkour stuff. He didn’t train for it at all and can naturally do backflips and all that. His dad was a gymnast, so good genes.

A test of muscle fibers is to just do a standing jump, two feet, to see how high you can go. Some can naturally jump 1.5m+ whereas others can barely jump the sofa.

Of course you can learn gymnastics from a young age and it may take years to get there. For others, genetically gifted, it’s natural.

Just like sprint speed.

8 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

It’s genetics really. Fast twitch muscle fibers. Aside from being footballers, many are athletic enough they could compete in other sporte as well.

I have a friend who does all that parkour stuff. He didn’t train for it at all and can naturally do backflips and all that. His dad was a gymnast, so good genes.

A test of muscle fibers is to just do a standing jump, two feet, to see how high you can go. Some can naturally jump 1.5m+ whereas others can barely jump the sofa.

Of course you can learn gymnastics from a young age and it may take years to get there. For others, genetically gifted, it’s natural.

Just like sprint speed.

Jump over the sofa? Barely? Quite a few would need a lot of practice to do that.  Some can’t even get off the sofa?

yep genes are key, I’ve always been a sprinter and still run internationally at over 60.  Some of the ex Olympians can still outrun the vast majority of men 40 years younger.

being professional footballers will mean they will practice their celebrations though.  Not sure ours bother with it, so unlikely

1 hour ago, Spanish said:

Jump over the sofa? Barely? Quite a few would need a lot of practice to do that.  Some can’t even get off the sofa?

yep genes are key, I’ve always been a sprinter and still run internationally at over 60.  Some of the ex Olympians can still outrun the vast majority of men 40 years younger.

being professional footballers will mean they will practice their celebrations though.  Not sure ours bother with it, so unlikely

You do feel they should be practicing their finishing before they practice their celebrations. 

5 hours ago, Spanish said:

Ha, I meant to write jump on the sofa.

No doubt some footballers practice celebrations. Rather pathetic really.

But it’s all about branding these days. Some invent their own like Cristiano Ronaldo. Narcissist.