Offence archeology on social media

Carl Sagan

11 minutes ago, cstand said:

He has nothing to apologise for he was just a kid all he was doing was acting stupid to show off. I am quite sure he has grown up since then.

I'm assuming that since its 9 years old he has posted nothing offensive since?  If so, I would request a personal hearing and answer every question with 'I was a kid' and when, as is par for the course, I get told to go on a re-education course ask them what during the last 9 years have I done that would suggest that such a course was needed?

23 minutes ago, maxjam said:

I'm assuming that since its 9 years old he has posted nothing offensive since?  If so, I would request a personal hearing and answer every question with 'I was a kid' and when, as is par for the course, I get told to go on a re-education course ask them what during the last 9 years have I done that would suggest that such a course was needed?

If he has grown up, don't you think he might want to distance himself from those views publically anyway? 

As I say, if he posted immature views and the punishment is something fairly inconsequential, like an apology, I can't get too upset by it. 

Problem is, they’ve made a rod for their own back.

imagine what would happen if they have an honest statement of ‘Marc has told us this tweet he made as a boy in our way reflects his feelings as a man, and we are happy to leave it at that.’

theyve already punished several people for the same offence so they have to continue doing it. Now it’s been made public, if they just left it, they’d be crucified as not taking these things seriously.

Add to that the fact that Bola’s black. A lot of white guys have been accused of this and punished, imagine the outcry from the crowd that boo at the taking of the knee if the first person to ‘get away with it’ was a black guy. It shouldn’t be part of the issue, but you just know it would be. ‘It’s alright for black guys to say it, but it’s not alright for white guys, the world’s just got it in for us poor white guys.’

and what’s the deal with a re-education course. If the last evidence of these thoughts was from nearly a decade ago, then surely that’s proof that life has re-educated him to a different way of thinking.

but, again, the FA have to do something, they can’t be seen to do nothing now it’s been brought to light, and the best they can come up with is a reeducation course. At least someone will get a day’s pay and a free sandwich buffet out of it. 

1 hour ago, GboroRam said:

If they were written by an older person, are they offensive or not? 

Who gives a stuff? I'm often accused of offending someone simply because I disagree with them. Offense is in the eye of the offended and that's up to them.

Why would you be happy to prosecute children for what they say?

10 hours ago, maxjam said:

Its never enough though is it?  And things are getting worse at an ever increasing rate.

Since before the beginning of the pandemic I have found myself increasingly at odds with a lot of 'stuff' thats going on.  Mainstream media and social media are both fueling and driving division to such a degree that they see hate almost everywhere - stuff that I just don't see in my everyday life, so I've started to detach. 

My Sky subscription (of approx 30 years) ends at the end of the month and my TV licence will follow.  Other than here I have very little social media presence and have cancelled all my news subscriptions/follows etc. 

The world is going bonkers and this is just another example.  Is there really any reason to dig up nearly decade old tweets made by a teenager to punish him as a man?  Its time to drop out, walk my dogs, spend time with my family and live in a reality that is worlds away from the biased hateful crap force fed to you by the media all the time. 

Is GB News still going?

1 hour ago, GboroRam said:

If he has grown up, don't you think he might want to distance himself from those views publically anyway? 

As I say, if he posted immature views and the punishment is something fairly inconsequential, like an apology, I can't get too upset by it. 

No apology required.  We should condemning the witch hunt by people who want to troll through teenagers social media years to try and ruin people’s careers. 

Edited by cstand

2 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Who gives a stuff? I'm often accused of offending someone simply because I disagree with them. Offense is in the eye of the offended and that's up to them.

Why would you be happy to prosecute children for what they say?

Because some people genuinely think they are making the world a better place by getting people to apologise for things that literally nobody is bothered about in the first place.

3 hours ago, GboroRam said:

Ideally he wouldn't need to apologise - no normal person would would dig up a 9yo tweet let alone be offended by it and the FA wouldn't even contemplate charges for something said so long ago as a teenager.  But here we are. 

An apology should be the end of it, unfortunately in the modern world an apology = guilt so I wouldn't blame anyone from ignoring any lynch mob - just delete it at move on.  Its not like he has posted a series of them during the intervening years.  The FA could have also seen that it was a one off tweet posted by a teenager almost a decade ago and let it slide, but they chose to highlight the 'crime', make a mountain out of a molehill and charge the player.  Utterly ridiculous.