Offence archeology on social media

Carl Sagan

6 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Even though this guy is a Boro player, this is completely ridiculous. What is the FA playing at, charging someone for something they did many years ago as a child? Enough it enough! We should not put up with this craziness.

It’s absolutely crazy, who actually digs this stuff out as well? 

7 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Enough it enough! We should not put up with this craziness.

Its never enough though is it?  And things are getting worse at an ever increasing rate.

Since before the beginning of the pandemic I have found myself increasingly at odds with a lot of 'stuff' thats going on.  Mainstream media and social media are both fueling and driving division to such a degree that they see hate almost everywhere - stuff that I just don't see in my everyday life, so I've started to detach. 

My Sky subscription (of approx 30 years) ends at the end of the month and my TV licence will follow.  Other than here I have very little social media presence and have cancelled all my news subscriptions/follows etc. 

The world is going bonkers and this is just another example.  Is there really any reason to dig up nearly decade old tweets made by a teenager to punish him as a man?  Its time to drop out, walk my dogs, spend time with my family and live in a reality that is worlds away from the biased hateful crap force fed to you by the media all the time. 

7 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Even though this guy is a Boro player, this is completely ridiculous. What is the FA playing at, charging someone for something they did many years ago as a child? Enough it enough! We should not put up with this craziness.

Already happened once according to that article: "In March West Ham winger Jarrod Bowen was charged by the FA over a tweet written when he was aged 15 in 2012 which contained a racist term.

Bowen, who apologised for the post, was given a warning by the FA a month later and told to attend an FA education course."

3 hours ago, TexasRam said:

It’s absolutely crazy, who actually digs this stuff out as well? 

I know. That's why I used the "offence archeology" term as there are weirdos deliberately going back through people's social media history to find something they can then claim they were offended by. Twitter was a very different place when it started and many people used it like a WhatsApp chat with their mates (how cricketer Ollie Robinson got banned recently for tweets from a decade ago). A line must be drawn. This nonsense has to be resisted.

2 hours ago, maxjam said:

Its never enough though is it?  And things are getting worse at an ever increasing rate.

Since before the beginning of the pandemic I have found myself increasingly at odds with a lot of 'stuff' thats going on.  Mainstream media and social media are both fueling and driving division to such a degree that they see hate almost everywhere - stuff that I just don't see in my everyday life, so I've started to detach. 

My Sky subscription (of approx 30 years) ends at the end of the month and my TV licence will follow.  Other than here I have very little social media presence and have cancelled all my news subscriptions/follows etc. 

The world is going bonkers and this is just another example.  Is there really any reason to dig up nearly decade old tweets made by a teenager to punish him as a man?  Its time to drop out, walk my dogs, spend time with my family and live in a reality that is worlds away from the biased hateful crap force fed to you by the media all the time. 

Yeah I stopped the TV licence. Enough was enough. Life is much better without the 24/7 hateful media narrative you mention. I think what they do is incredibly damaging for society.

Where will it end though. Suppose Johnny’s mate videos him in the playground aged 8 saying something inappropriate then 10y on when he is the next Rooney, mate sells it to the Sun (as the “Cloud” kept it for Eva). Does the same logic apply? Presume it would..

Edited by Dean (hick) Saunders

4 hours ago, GboroRam said:

If the punishment is just an apology and a bit of education, I can't get too upset by it. Posting like an immature fool will happen, and some obscure kids will become famous as they progress through their careers. Those comments will come back and bite them. Apologise for offense caused, move on. 

Who in their right mind would be offended by a 9 year old tweet made by a 14yrs old ?

Just now, GboroRam said:

If they were written by an older person, are they offensive or not? 

Probably not depends how easily offended you are. However even less so if written by a child 

5 hours ago, GboroRam said:

If the punishment is just an apology and a bit of education, I can't get too upset by it. Posting like an immature fool will happen, and some obscure kids will become famous as they progress through their careers. Those comments will come back and bite them. Apologise for offense caused, move on. 

He has nothing to apologise for he was just a kid all he was doing was acting stupid to show off. I am quite sure he has grown up since then.