Who wishes we had a Georges fish and chips in Derby

B4ev6is

On 05/09/2021 at 19:29, B4ev6is said:

What I mean telling were something my since duration is useless.

Straight of the bus and down living dead alley - formerly East Street, Straight over the intersection at Mamba row -used to be St Peters street, pass St Peters churchyard benches were you'll find Derbys finest screaming obscenities and look for the old theatre on the corner, the one that looks likes it been used for carpet bombing practise for twenty years, this is Muggers Mews - formerly Green Lane.  Then your at Macklin Street.

Anyone remember the chippy that used to be in Surrey street just off Ashbourne Road. Long gone unfortunately but was the best back in the day 

Edited by Monty

14 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

To cut a sort story long, after an 8 mile hike (that’s a lot for us) in searing south coast temps into the high 20’s (that’s a lot for us!) we decided to reward ourselves with not a half… not a pint… but get this… two pints… each! (That’s a lot for us!). And all that whilst officially “daytime drinking”… which we are no longer adept at!  
Of course, such wanton behaviour usually incurs the wrath of Lady Luck, and in this case, we missed our bus for the return back to camp, which gave us an early evening wait in excess of an hour, for the next bus. 
Being under the influence, the chippy called. We opted for mini fish & chips x 2. 
I didn’t like the sound of the mini bit (Muckerette’s suggestion… obv’s!) so sneakily added a sausage to mine… plus peas & curry sauce to share. 
Firstly, being so far south, I dare not ask for a mix. 
Secondly, imagine my absolute shock and awe when opening said carton of peas, to discover they were processed, and not remotely mushy!

yes, we’d normally be on the continent at this time of year, and yes, quite possibly trying “something different”, but this was something that was all rather new to us!  Processed peas… with fish & chips… from a chippy!

…THE DIRTY bar stewards!  

BAFC1AB0-BAAC-4768-8ACE-89E9907CAB0D.jpeg

Contact the food standards agency, get that place shut down, could also get them done for claiming to be a chippy.

Processed peas, what a joke

3 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Just a thought. I’ve only ever eaten Macklin Street chips when drunk cos its next to a taxi base! I’ve probably not been drunk in Derby since 2013! So the chips maybe horrible anyway! ?

Similar but had some far more recently (still pre-lockdown). Definitely a case of chips are chips are chips are chips, nothing extraordinary but not bad. The cod has always been a good size and battered/fried fresh, never had a disappointing meal tbh.

Edited by Coconut's Beard

24 minutes ago, David said:

Contact the food standards agency, get that place shut down, could also get them done for claiming to be a chippy.

Processed peas, what a joke

Even my local chippy here darn sarf does mushy peas.  Been eating them from there for over 40 years.  Used to get free bags of scraps too.....no longer allowed due to some stupid H&S rule about fat content I think. 

Great thread this. With living overseas and not being able to get back home since the Christmas before Covid, I'd honestly pay very good money for a bag of fish, chips, peas and side of curry sauce right know! Having spoken with lots of exiled Brits, it's the one thing everyone misses. You're all right, pea mix, curry mix etc. is pretty much a colloquial Derby thing and is lost elsewhere. The joys of the English language. 

Shelton Lock and George's in Alvaston are both pretty good and always get a visit when I'm back. 

Hopefully this Christmas.

On 03/09/2021 at 20:29, Van der MoodHoover said:

She achieved a certain notoriety when she was at radio 1 by suggesting that at the age of 101 the Queen mum smelt a bit of wee. 

She also was a model in the 90s for pretty polly tights...great legs. 

She's also a highly intelligent woman. 

But not nearly as good as decent fish and chips.....?

And from when I used to listen to her on Radio 1, hilarious at times. Probably the funniest radio presenter I can think of (whether me being a simpleton has anything to do with it, I don't know).

I was devastated when she left! 

1 minute ago, Wazztie16 said:

And from when I used to listen to her on Radio 1, hilarious at times. Probably the funniest radio presenter I can think of (whether me being a simpleton has anything to do with it, I don't know).

I was devastated when she left! 

She had some superb one liners, eg

"ooooh, waves of testosterone lapping around me ankles" as a couple of male interviewees started on each other. 

Sadly, she also did some terrible stuff. The Girlie Show on C4 was spectacularly dreadful.... ?

2 hours ago, Archie said:

Great thread this. With living overseas and not being able to get back home since the Christmas before Covid, I'd honestly pay very good money for a bag of fish, chips, peas and side of curry sauce right know! Having spoken with lots of exiled Brits, it's the one thing everyone misses. You're all right, pea mix, curry mix etc. is pretty much a colloquial Derby thing and is lost elsewhere. The joys of the English language. 

Shelton Lock and George's in Alvaston are both pretty good and always get a visit when I'm back. 

Hopefully this Christmas.

They’ll not let you in mate. Red list init?