Who wishes we had a Georges fish and chips in Derby

B4ev6is

6 minutes ago, Beetroot said:

???

Halibut, skinless, in crisp beer batter with mint pea puree & fresh tartare!!!

??? 

@Carl Sagan, "love, love, love my fish and chips"... I'm guessing your only experience of it is some "Chippy Theme Night" at The Ivy that you took Cara Delavigne to??

I adore halibut but it's never on sale in either shop or restaurant. Where can I find it? Even Aldi doesn't sell it.

11 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

I dont know were that is I only have basic knowledge of Derby city centre.

Imagine you’re in McDonalds. You walk up St Peter’s Street about 50yds, then go right. That street is about 100yds long, at the end of that street, you cross over to road, and Macklin St is there. Chippy is about 4th premises along. 

33 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Imagine you’re in McDonalds. You walk up St Peter’s Street about 50yds, then go right. That street is about 100yds long, at the end of that street, you cross over to road, and Macklin St is there. Chippy is about 4th premises along. 

I used to like Knightmare too!

When I first moved to Leicester I ordered a curry mix. They looked at me confused, no idea what it was. 

I explained it chips with curry on top. 

so they served me a tray of chips and a pot of curry. 

‘no, the curry’s supposed to go on top of the chips’.

’I don’t get what you mean, can’t you just pour the curry over yourself.’

’well, yes, I suppose I could, but that’s not a curry mix, you’re supposed to do it for me. You’re ruining curry mixes for me.’

i couldn’t really come up with a good argument of why I couldn’t just do it myself. Suddenly I felt very demanding insisting that the girl behind the counter do it for me. 

21 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Love, love, love my fish and chips. On the day of our last playoff win I had it twice, once at Wembley and then home in Spitalfields later.

Not a fan of curry sauce, mushy peas, or gravy in the combo. 

Mint and pea puree is good, though garden peas are fine too. Good fresh tartare too, and a ton of mayo and some ketchup. But loads and loads of vinegar and then salt.

Crisp beer batter. I prefer the fish cooked with the skin off, which they do more outside of the UK. And I think halibut is probably the best fish to choose. A nice cob or soft white bread with butter on the side.

Very astute observation from @JoetheRamabout the general universal (poor) quality of the chips.

If I walked into a chippy and ordered that, I would be banned for life. You Southerners are a strange bunch.

12 hours ago, Beetroot said:

???

Halibut, skinless, in crisp beer batter with mint pea puree & fresh tartare!!!

??? 

@Carl Sagan, "love, love, love my fish and chips"... I'm guessing your only experience of it is some "Chippy Theme Night" at The Ivy that you took Cara Delavigne to??

You have no idea how close you are. The first time I ever had pea and mint puree with my fish and chips was indeed at The Ivy! Alas not with Cara, but whoever the date was (I really can't remember now), the memory pales compared with the exquisite dish...

3 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

When I first moved to Leicester I ordered a curry mix. They looked at me confused, no idea what it was. 

I explained it chips with curry on top. 

so they served me a tray of chips and a pot of curry. 

‘no, the curry’s supposed to go on top of the chips’.

’I don’t get what you mean, can’t you just pour the curry over yourself.’

’well, yes, I suppose I could, but that’s not a curry mix, you’re supposed to do it for me. You’re ruining curry mixes for me.’

i couldn’t really come up with a good argument of why I couldn’t just do it myself. Suddenly I felt very demanding insisting that the girl behind the counter do it for me. 

You should have told her that people in Derby are more environmentally friendly clearly and putting curry unnecessarily in a pot made of polystyrene and plastic might be ok in Leicester but not down the road in a real football city.  Then walked off shaking your head muttering about landfill.

13 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

I adore halibut but it's never on sale in either shop or restaurant. Where can I find it? Even Aldi doesn't sell it.

During the pandemic they were queuing round the block for all the supermarkets so I started going to the M&S food hall instead, where I was normally the only person in the store and amazed to find they sold packs of halibut there.

https://www.ocado.com/products/m-s-collection-norwegian-fjord-2-halibut-fillets-519849011

They do it in some chippies in London. I first had it as the "standard" fish and chips fish in Canada.