Who wishes we had a Georges fish and chips in Derby

B4ev6is

Love, love, love my fish and chips. On the day of our last playoff win I had it twice, once at Wembley and then home in Spitalfields later.

Not a fan of curry sauce, mushy peas, or gravy in the combo. 

Mint and pea puree is good, though garden peas are fine too. Good fresh tartare too, and a ton of mayo and some ketchup. But loads and loads of vinegar and then salt.

Crisp beer batter. I prefer the fish cooked with the skin off, which they do more outside of the UK. And I think halibut is probably the best fish to choose. A nice cob or soft white bread with butter on the side.

Very astute observation from @JoetheRamabout the general universal (poor) quality of the chips.

1 minute ago, Carl Sagan said:

Love, love, love my fish and chips. On the day of our last playoff win I had it twice, once at Wembley and then home in Spitalfields later.

Mint and pea puree is good, though garden peas are fine too. Good fresh tartare too, and a ton of mayo and some ketchup. But loads and loads of vinegar and then salt.

Crisp beer batter. I prefer the fish cooked with the skin off, which they do more outside of the UK. And I think halibut is probably the best fish to choose. A nice cob or soft white bread with butter on the side.

Very astute observation from @JoetheRamabout the general universal (poor) quality of the chips.

Mint and pea purée my arse!

17 hours ago, 1of4 said:

Had similar occurrences in Blackburn and Reading. So is asking for a mix, chips and peas, just a Derby thing?

I've lived in the West Midlands for the last 25 years and mixes are completely unknown over here. I've certainly never seen them. I used to pine for a good pea mix. The missus, fine woman that she is, bought me a load of polystyrene trays, so I can now make my own mixes using ingredients from the local chippy: chips, peas and two battered sausages...

200w.gif.697f2151ddb97a5bc7c835264ba4b9c5.gif

2 hours ago, Coconut's Beard said:

Must be something wrong with me because I never put vinegar on chips.

Yep….there must be. I love the sea of vinegar at the bottom of the chips.!

We are coming “home” for Christmas and we were listing the things we want to do when we are over, the two things I put on the list were, go for a decent curry and go for chips, beans, white bread and vinegar at Leabrooks chippy. 

8 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Crisp beer batter. I prefer the fish cooked with the skin off, which they do more outside of the UK. And I think halibut is probably the best fish to choose. 

???

Halibut, skinless, in crisp beer batter with mint pea puree & fresh tartare!!!

??? 

@Carl Sagan, "love, love, love my fish and chips"... I'm guessing your only experience of it is some "Chippy Theme Night" at The Ivy that you took Cara Delavigne to??

Went to Scarborough as a kid and Yorkshire were playing cricket there. At the ground, a relatively upmarket couple, around 30, were eating fish, chips and mushy peas from a chippy with a glass of red wine each. Still think it's the height of sophistication that I'll never be able to achieve.

(Mainly cos you can't take your own bottle of red into a cricket ground anymore, let alone food from the chippy. Not sure if red really works either. A nice syrupy white from the Alsace perhaps?)