Club comms

Spanish

7 hours ago, Eddie said:

Why do some people continue to attack the message because they don't like the messenger?

Is there anything in the letter that is so objectionable that the same old 'not in my name' brigade are justified in replaying the first decade of the 21st century? 

I think some people just dislike ramstrust so it doesn't matter what they say. When they raised the question of fan ownership it got some hackles up, because I think they are waiting for a rich sugar daddy to buy success for us. Even the suggestion of anything else brought derision. 

5 hours ago, DJAY said:

I don't particularly mind Ramstrust sending this letter out. I wish they would have proof read it a bit more though. 

"We ask you to front up with fans and answer the following questions that concern the continued viability of the cub"

Just makes it feel a little amateur, especially with it getting some coverage from national reporters (such as Henry Winter).

Tbf I am not alone in being majorly concerned about the care of the cub  - we demand to see the CUB. 

1 hour ago, GboroRam said:

I think some people just dislike ramstrust so it doesn't matter what they say. When they raised the question of fan ownership it got some hackles up, because I think they are waiting for a rich sugar daddy to buy success for us. Even the suggestion of anything else brought derision. 

That turned out well, didn't it?

The only way forward for small to middle-sized clubs such as ourselves (that bit will get some hackles up) is sustainability, in my not-so-humble opinion.

On 03/09/2021 at 21:38, David said:

He's a generous bloke, £1.2m for a robotic surgeon to Derby Hospital that helps the city, saved lives and pumped millions into the football club.

People can dissect his running of the club and they will, but honestly having talked to him on many occasions, he's a decent guy that does care.

I would receive calls just to check up how I was doing during my bad days with anxiety. Was hard to read that he was going through his own health issues.

I'll get hammered for this post but I'm gutted for the guy with how this is ending. Always will.

Won't ever feel comfortable reading people laying into him as a man, but accept that others haven't been as lucky I have to have been able to see that side of him.

There is no justification for a character assassination of Mr Morris and I don't doubt that he is a decent person. Obviously supporters are disappointed about the dire state of their football club and expect the owner to accept responsibility.  I guess the situation is much worse than most of us could imagine, and Mr Morris has opted to keep fans in the dark. 

5 hours ago, Eddie said:

The only way forward for small to middle-sized clubs such as ourselves (that bit will get some hackles up) is sustainability, in my not-so-humble opinion.

Hackles up a bit, must admit. Should Leicester be a ‘bigger’ club than us, for example? Wolves? Soton? We’re massively underperforming right now 

22 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Hackles up a bit, must admit. Should Leicester be a ‘bigger’ club than us, for example? Wolves? Soton? We’re massively underperforming right now 

Not compared to Sunderland, Sheff Weds, Ipswich, etc...

Maybe Wolves, Soton etc are overperforming, the likes of Sunderland are underperforming, and we're just about where we should be...

46 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

We've under-performed for all but 10 years of our entire history. I would put us on a par, entire history-wise, with Bolton, Burnley, Portsmouth and Preston.

8 hours ago, europia said:

There is no justification for a character assassination of Mr Morris and I don't doubt that he is a decent person. Obviously supporters are disappointed about the dire state of their football club and expect the owner to accept responsibility.  I guess the situation is much worse than most of us could imagine, and Mr Morris has opted to keep fans in the dark. 

I have no doubt he is a nice guy. However it is the responsibility of who ever is in charge of any business to ensure it is run responsibly and sustainable. The buck in this case lands firmly on his shoulders whether you like it or not

6 hours ago, Eddie said:

We've under-performed for all but 10 years of our entire history. I would put us on a par, entire history-wise, with Bolton, Burnley, Portsmouth and Preston.

How do you determine what our level is in order to state whether we have under performed? 

Surely logic dictates that if 10 years of our 100 year history stand out as different to the rest, it would be more accurate to claim we have over performed for 10 years and the rest of the time we have found our level.

16 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Isn't there an all time league table somewhere? I think we are reasonably high in it. 

Edit..... Just looked and we are 16th 

Correct & when you factor in crowd size in 'normal times' we are also top 20. Hence if we punch our weight, we're top flight & if we punch above our weight we're top 5/10. Therefore we are massively underperforming at present.

This is where my argument about sustainability comes in as we have a natural advantage over most of this division. Our turnover is higher than most & players will want to play for this club & particularly this manager. When you factor in the advantages of our Academy also, I don't believe we need to overspend any longer at this level. The law of averages suggest we will naturally improve & be in contention for promotion eventually once things stabilise off the field.

This is one of our longest stints or even the longest stint we’ve had in the second tier in our history. If it isn’t the longest then it’s second only to the 1950s/1960s. We’ve only been in the third division 5 seasons in our entire history.

I would say we are underperforming.

The issue is we are underperforming at the worst possible time as the last 10 years has seen huge money roll into the top division that is being unfairly distributed, therefore this 10 years might reset the status quo for the future of Football, and clubs like Burnley Brighton Watford Norwich Fulham Bournemouth Palace Brentford regularly compete for the Premier League and we become irrelevant as regards the top level.

10 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

This is one of our longest stints or even the longest stint we’ve had in the second tier in our history. If it isn’t the longest then it’s second only to the 1950s/1960s. We’ve only been in the third division 5 seasons in our entire history.

I would say we are underperforming.

The issue is we are underperforming at the worst possible time as the last 10 years has seen huge money roll into the top division that is being unfairly distributed, therefore this 10 years might reset the status quo for the future of Football, and clubs like Burnley Brighton Watford Norwich Fulham Bournemouth Palace Brentford regularly compete for the Premier League and we become irrelevant as regards the top level.

That and being perennial bridesmaids.  I don’t think you can maintain the level of effort to get in the top 6 so frequently without it damaging the squad.  There is never a reset a quieter time at the end of the season to reflect on the next.  Try hard, miss out, go on hols, come back, start again, sometimes sack manager.

Edited by Spanish

6 hours ago, Eddie said:

I think that's a bit harsh. We were challenging regularly for the title in the 1930s as well as the early 70s, and that's ignoring the Pre-WW1 era when the likes of Preston had all of their successful years. Two decades of regular top half and occasional top 3 finishes is more than most teams of our size have managed. Teams like Leeds, Leicester, Chelsea, Tottenham and Forest had very little impact until after WW2. 

13 hours ago, Eddie said:

What we need is some kind of financial fair play to make sure clubs live within their means and be sustainable.

We could call it FPF / S&P or something.....?