That one game

Bris Vegas

22 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Anyone who played football as a kid would have had that one game. That one game where you played beyond your natural ability and you could seemingly do no wrong, such as a goalkeeper pulling off countless saves or a striker who just couldn't miss.

I'm convinced this happens to professionals too.

So, can anyone think of any standout performances from current or past Derby players which just went beyond their natural ability or which is very unlikely to be repeated again?

I'll start with a couple to kick us off:

Tom Lawrence vs Huddersfield Town (A). I'm convinced Lawrence will never play a better 45 minutes again in his life. It wasn't just his two goals. He actually made the right decision almost every time he got the ball as Huddersfield couldn't handle him, while defensively he was brilliant too. Many people will question why Lawrence can't match this type of performance on a regular basis. But that's the point of this thread. This was his one game.

Bob Malcolm vs Wolves (A). Who else thought we'd signed the Scottish Claude Makelele after this performance? Malcolm made his debut in the 1-0 win at Wolves and he just mopped up everything infront of the back four. Sublime. Every other time he put a Derby shirt on he wasn't even half as good as what he was that night.

Without a doubt it has to be Khalifa Cisse.

On his debut v Sheff Wed absolutely ran the game, didn't do a single thing wrong. Ran himself into the ground, i remember him throwing up at the final whistle?Think we ended up winning 3-0

23 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Alan harper v Liverpool. Headed one in, crossed for wanchope and was then never seen again... 

*Kevin, but good shout.

God that was a weird game. Steve Elliott also played a blinder. I'd got hold of a ticket in the Kop, so I couldn't celebrate until later.

19 minutes ago, Anon said:

*Kevin, but good shout.

God that was a weird game. Steve Elliott also played a blinder. I'd got hold of a ticket in the Kop, so I couldn't celebrate until later.

I thought as I typed that "wasn't Alan harper an 80s Everton player?" 

But I ploughed on anyway... ?

Good to know someone has a better memory than me ?

Hate to say it, but again Gary Teales debut, can’t remember who it was against maybe Norwich. I was in the West stand and he was terrific. Every player he attempted to beat, he beat easily and he also delivered some brilliant balls into the box. 

There is also a few more I can think of, Barazite, Bueno against Watford at home. 

Just now, Wistaston Ram said:

Also remember Miles Addison having a blinder at St James Park a few years later in a hard fought 0.0.

Played 98 minutes after 4 months out with a stress fracture in the foot.  Injured it again after 70 minutes and wasn't taken off, so a point could be proved about squad depth. Unforgiveable Management towards a young player.  Not sure he played again for us.

1 hour ago, ScamRam said:

Chris Porter, two great goals against Swansea in 2009 and I finally thought 'we have found a striker'!! Hip injury curtailed his career

For info he is still playing at Crewe.

Just got an assist for their 92min winner ...

1 hour ago, Unlucky Alf said:

Roger Davis, Scoring all 5 goals against Luton Town and 2 goals disallowed

https://www.facebook.com/DerbyCountyOfficial/videos/roger-davies-on-his-five-goals-vs-luton-town/241948376855993/

Good as he was in that game I think his hat-trick in the 5-3 Cup win away at Tottenham was Big Rog's finest hour, it was a remarkable comeback against a team with some massive names at that time

11 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Played 98 minutes after 4 months out with a stress fracture in the foot.  Injured it again after 70 minutes and wasn't taken off, so a point could be proved about squad depth. Unforgiveable Management towards a young player.  Not sure he played again for us.

Somehow Nigel Clough manages to be a man of great integrity and a massive nob at the same time.