That one game

Bris Vegas

Anyone who played football as a kid would have had that one game. That one game where you played beyond your natural ability and you could seemingly do no wrong, such as a goalkeeper pulling off countless saves or a striker who just couldn't miss.

I'm convinced this happens to professionals too.

So, can anyone think of any standout performances from current or past Derby players which just went beyond their natural ability or which is very unlikely to be repeated again?

I'll start with a couple to kick us off:

Tom Lawrence vs Huddersfield Town (A). I'm convinced Lawrence will never play a better 45 minutes again in his life. It wasn't just his two goals. He actually made the right decision almost every time he got the ball as Huddersfield couldn't handle him, while defensively he was brilliant too. Many people will question why Lawrence can't match this type of performance on a regular basis. But that's the point of this thread. This was his one game.

Bob Malcolm vs Wolves (A). Who else thought we'd signed the Scottish Claude Makelele after this performance? Malcolm made his debut in the 1-0 win at Wolves and he just mopped up everything infront of the back four. Sublime. Every other time he put a Derby shirt on he wasn't even half as good as what he was that night.

Might be a controversial one afer his hattrick against Forest, but I don't remember Craig Bryson having such an influential game as he did in that 5-1 win at Millwall. As a midfielder you'd expect to score maybe one screamer from outside the area a season. He scored two in one game and then topped it off with another superb strike for his third.

4 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Later we realised we'd signed the Scottish Claude Davis. 

I’ve told the story before but I met his best mate (in a pub in north Kent) just after he’d signed. Friendly enough chap but the fact he was offering me coke within twenty minutes of meeting me did set off some alarm bells ?

3 minutes ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

I’ve told the story before but I met his best mate (in a pub in north Kent) just after he’d signed. Friendly enough chap but the fact he was offering me coke within twenty minutes of meeting me did set off some alarm bells ?

Is he the same bloke that ended up as a tramp at the bottom of your garden? 

1 minute ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Is he the same bloke that ended up as a tramp at the bottom of your garden? 

You can’t imagine how disconsolate old trampie has been this summer. Very little transfer market action for him to proffer an opinion on. Just tales of financial mismanagement that remind him of his own fall from grace.