England WC Qualifiers

Van der MoodHoover

Gonna say it, whether it’s a popular opinion or not….

I ducking hate watching England, they are all such talented individuals, yet as a “team” they are so ducking boring, dull, turgid etc etc to watch. Even during the Euros  I felt the same. Defo lost the love for the England team big yawn ? ? 

I am done watching them, I personally find it an unenjoyable and uninspiring experience. The passion I once had for the national team has been squeezed out of me ??

7 minutes ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

I ducking hate watching England, they are all such talented individuals, yet as a “team” they are so ducking boring, dull, turgid etc etc to watch. Even during the Euros  I felt the same. Defo lost the love for the England team big yawn ? ? 

I am done watching them, I personally find it an unenjoyable and uninspiring experience. The passion I once had for the national team has been squeezed out of me ??

It's called the "Southgate Syndrome".

Boring twit playing 5 at the back at home.

Hungary played well, worked hard and were not too shabby on the ball. I thought Southgate's only mistake was to take Grealish off when he did. Grealish against tired defenders is what you want late on so we probably missed a trick there.

The only other complaint was the lack of quality at vital moments, probably down to match fitness. Kane doesn't look sharp and Sterling has not played much recently.

Qualification still should be nailed on, we'll be hard to beat in the World Cup but will we have enough nous to sneak through the big games against the very best. 

Hopefully, as a squad we'll be mentally stronger after the Euros adventure.

9 hours ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

Grealish makes the play more interesting and is usually sucessful with what he does. Not sure why he was subbed though. The play totally changed for the worse afterwards.

Edited by TimRam

England fans are developing a pattern.

We're not particularly exciting during qualification and friendlies, so Southgate is crap and boring.

We get further in international tournaments than many of us have witnessed in our lifetimes (WC 2018 and Euro 2020), so Southgate is a hero.

Back to qualification and Southgate is crap.

Edited by DarkFruitsRam7

2 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

We're not particularly exciting during qualification and friendlies, so Southgate is crap and boring.

We get further in international tournaments than many of us have witnessed in our lifetimes (WC 2018 and Euro 2020), so Southgate is a hero.

Don't think that line up was too far off what many fans have been clamouring for either. Damned if he does... 

3 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Hmm. 

It's interesting. I think back over my lifetime of watching England and the differences in tournament and qualifications is huge. 

1977....we had to finish top of a qualification group which included Italy to get to wc 1978. We lost away but won at home, honours even but we lost out on goal difference. No play offs. Italy went on to finish 4th I think in Wc1978 so were a strong side. 

Fast forward to 2020 and we can go through qualification and deep into tournaments before we come across a team the calibre of Italy. And then give them a decent game and achieve a close result. 

So to my mind, relatively, we haven't moved much - it's more the way competitions are organised around us has changed. 

To your question, I think Gareth Southgate is at last using the more straightforward qualifiers to experiment. Amen. We've been guilty in the past of using the same players to qualify and then come unstuck when the hero of the moment gets injured prior to the tournament. 

9 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Nah, he’s crap full stop.