Benjamin Mendy

Gaspode

20 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

That's the perrenial debate....complainants anonymity guaranteed but the accused person's details are then totally in the public domain regardless of their guilt or not.

The Germans have a good approach where suspects in all kinds of cases are only allowed to named using their forename and initial of their surname. 

I think this strikes a good balance.

There is enough data in the public domain that other potential victims would recognise the name and be able to come forward, but the suspects' name is annomimised enough that a Google search by a potential future employer (for example) would not taint them with something they had not done. 

1 hour ago, Stive Pesley said:

the only thing? you didn't think it had some pretty strong racist undertones on top ?

The problem with agitators like Laurence Fox is that to stay relevant and edgy you have to say increasingly contentious stuff. 

He has tried to justify his tweet today and whether I think he is right or wrong is not really a conversation for this thread or forum. I was wanting to focus more on the typical social media guilty verdict before any trial has taken place.

And talking of this thread...

Edited by maxjam

45 minutes ago, maxjam said:

He has tried to justify his tweet today and whether I think he is right or wrong is not really a conversation for this thread or forum. I was wanting to focus more on the typical social media guilty verdict before any trial has taken place

Fair enough - just saw his lengthy back-pedalling, and well...what can I say. Nothing that wouldn't get deleted in this thread anyway!

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Mucker1884 said:

Manchester City footballer Benjamin Mendy has been found not guilty of six counts of rape and one count of sexual assault at Chester Crown Court.
Jurors could not reach verdicts on one count of rape and one of attempted rape, following a six-month trial.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-63677581

I think he’s been re charged.

1 hour ago, Boycie said:

I think he’s been re charged.

Ah.  My post was breaking news, so no mention of that when I posted (Although it did mention the fact that some verdicts were not reached).

Update:

Manchester City footballer Benjamin Mendy has been found not guilty of six counts of rape and one count of sexual assault against four young women.
The jury failed to reach verdicts on one count of rape and one of attempted rape and a retrial will take place.

... The prosecution has sought a retrial on the two counts the jury failed to reach a verdict on and it has been scheduled for 26 June.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-63677581

Mendy aside for one second, what about his hanger on mate? Also charged and in the trial showed he regularly had sex with teenage girls - at the age of 41. Consensual or not, legal or not, that suggests to me the sort of mindset that was at play throughout all of this.

56 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Mendy aside for one second, what about his hanger on mate? Also charged and in the trial showed he regularly had sex with teenage girls - at the age of 41. Consensual or not, legal or not, that suggests to me the sort of mindset that was at play throughout all of this.

There's nothing illegal with having sex with teenage girls over the age of 16 so not sure why you brought this and also compared and contrasted it to his age at the same point. 

I've read a variety of fury directed at the verdict on other forums and a number of people basically saying that just because he was found not guilty doesn't then conclusively say he was also innocent.

I'm actually sorry for those people who still can't accept the outcome and obviously in their own minds whatever the verdict they still consider Mendy to be guilty.

I just hope that these people never appear on the jury of any trial I may be unfortunate enough to have to sit through or anyone else for that matter. 

Trial by internet is the worst.

No evidence seen, no witness statements read, no defence heard, yet a verdict will be given.

Just like politics, so many want to pick a side, left or right and will defend their side, fully entrenched in their views and damn you if you look at things another way.

Mendy maybe innocent, he may also be guilty yet win these cases with an expensive lawyer, something which the alleged victims cannot afford.

Who knows, if he did it, he’s a scumbag and will have to live with what he has done for the rest of his life, if he hasn’t, poor bar steward, having his career destroyed over false allegations. In the stands, if cleared, he will have to play in front of thousands with catchy “banter” songs labelling him a rapist.

The worst of it is, rape cases are time sensitive to preserve any evidence that is vital to get a guilty verdict, unless they have CCTV or eye witnesses, they are really difficult to prove in a court of law. I feel so bad for women that have been through a traumatic experience and the thought processes that follow over going to the Police or not.

You can semi understand that given a rape case why those entrenched in their views will not change their own verdict for Mendy regardless of what happens, it’s wrong though, especially sat here on the internet having not heard the case from both sides, the right thing to do is to go with the verdict that a jury decide, knowing that at times they may have got it wrong.

Edited by David
Typo, rapist not racist

4 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

There's nothing illegal with having sex with teenage girls over the age of 16 so not sure why you brought this and also compared and contrasted it to his age at the same point. 

I don't think it's right that a 41 year old bloke (or woman tbf) should be having sex with teenagers, whether it's legal or not. 

3 hours ago, David said:

Trial by internet is the worst.

No evidence seen, no witness statements read, no defence heard, yet a verdict will be given.

Just like politics, so many want to pick a side, left or right and will defend their side, fully entrenched in their views and damn you if you look at things another way.

Mendy maybe innocent, he may also be guilty yet win these cases with an expensive lawyer, something which the alleged victims cannot afford.

Who knows, if he did it, he’s a scumbag and will have to live with what he has done for the rest of his life, if he hasn’t, poor bar steward, having his career destroyed over false allegations. In the stands, if cleared, he will have to play in front of thousands with catchy “banter” songs labelling him a racist.

The worst of it is, rape cases are time sensitive to preserve any evidence that is vital to get a guilty verdict, unless they have CCTV or eye witnesses, they are really difficult to prove in a court of law. I feel so bad for women that have been through a traumatic experience and the thought processes that follow over going to the Police or not.

You can semi understand that given a rape case why those entrenched in their views will not change their own verdict for Mendy regardless of what happens, it’s wrong though, especially sat here on the internet having not heard the case from both sides, the right thing to do is to go with the verdict that a jury decide, knowing that at times they may have got it wrong.

Don't know if you have extra powers when it comes to post editing time restrictions, but you may wish to alter one letter in that one word I've emboldened? 
Might help avoid any confusion?  
Feel free to delete this post, once you're sorted.   ?

3 hours ago, David said:

It's amazing that clubs didn't learn from the Ched Evans case. These are young lads and are bound to be flattered by lots of girls wanting their attention and you can understand why girls get a little dazzled having the attention of a multi-millionaire celebrity on them. It's all but impossible to see how a young footballer meets a girl, goes for a beer, falls in love and goes from there.

With that in mind, you've got to wonder why clubs aren't supporting (maybe a little more) players to make sure they don't find themselves in those situations. They do just about everything else for them, from changing a light bulb to paying their credit card bills. After all, Mendy - for example - is a £50m investment and if I had invested that amount of money on anything I would want to know how it was and what it was doing pretty much every moment of the day. Yet the stories seem to suggest he was left alone to throw these parties, and get himself (and others) in situations that had the chance to not end well.

• 6 months later...

The guy said he has slept with over 10,000 women.

It is almost certain that among those incidents there would have been a chase, persuasion, alcohol influence, an inability to function properly, regret, shame or remorse.

Rape stories used to be associated with violence. They were largely easy to prove.

But without evidence of violence, it must be incredibly difficult to judge a case from the outside. Mendy may be the victim of false accusations from money-seeking women, or he may be guilty but there is no physical proof of it.

It's one of those where he will never rid himself of the label, nor will he get the time back he has lost despite being found not guilty in a court of law.

Truth is, only himself and the alleged victim will only truly know what happened. 

A jury can only give a verdict on the evidence in front of them, so yeah, he could have got away with it, it does happen, and that's what the faceless cowards on social media will ride with to continue to taunt him.

Whilst I know the courts do not have a 100% record of correct verdicts, I choose to go with that and wish the bloke well moving on with his career.

Not sure what that path will be, wouldn't be surprised to see him leave the country away from where it's all played out.

11 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

The guy said he has slept with over 10,000 women.

It is almost certain that among those incidents there would have been a chase, persuasion, alcohol influence, an inability to function properly, regret, shame or remorse.

Rape stories used to be associated with violence. They were largely easy to prove.

But without evidence of violence, it must be incredibly difficult to judge a case from the outside. Mendy may be the victim of false accusations from money-seeking women, or he may be guilty but there is no physical proof of it.

Do you think its possible he may have been exaggerating? 10 years of adult life, that's 1000 women per year, 3 per day. Even if they were all one night stands, that's going some.