Benjamin Mendy

Gaspode

Just now, Pearl Ram said:

Just seen this on the Sky News ticker thing at the bottom of the screen. Not going to comment because I don’t know the facts however I do wonder if people charged on this kind of thing should remain anonymous until proved guilty. ?‍♂️

That's the perrenial debate....complainants anonymity guaranteed but the accused person's details are then totally in the public domain regardless of their guilt or not.

13 minutes ago, Pearl Ram said:

Just seen this on the Sky News ticker thing at the bottom of the screen. Not going to comment because I don’t know the facts however I do wonder if people charged on this kind of thing should remain anonymous until proved guilty. ?‍♂️

Agree. Had several debates on this topic over the years.  If he's found guilty then he absolutely deserves everything he gets.  But until then he'll still be assumed guilty anyway until proven otherwise just by the way it's portrayed in the press. 

15 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Must be horrible to be accused of something like this and be innocent.  

"The Crown Prosecution Service acknowledged that Mr Mendy has been charged in reference to allegations of sexual assault relating to 3 complainants over the age of 16 between October 2020 and August 2021."

Innocent more than once it seems.

3 hours ago, Pearl Ram said:

Doubled-edged sword really. If he is innocent, then it's horrible for him. If he is not, then it's good to get it public as it might bring out more victims who have been quiet before.

Ethically thinking it really is a tough one.

Just now, Dimmu said:

Doubled-edged sword really. If he is innocent, then it's horrible for him. If he is not, then it's good to get it public as it might bring out more victims who have been quiet before.

Ethically thinking it really is a tough one.

If he is guilty, by all means it should be made public but what if he is innocent ? Should his name have been put in the public domain ? I’m not sure. It’s not shoplifting we’re addressing here, it’s one of the most serious crimes a man can be accused of and so I wonder if anonymity should be the name of the game until proven guilty, that’s all.

13 hours ago, Pearl Ram said:

If he is guilty, by all means it should be made public but what if he is innocent ? Should his name have been put in the public domain ? I’m not sure. It’s not shoplifting we’re addressing here, it’s one of the most serious crimes a man can be accused of and so I wonder if anonymity should be the name of the game until proven guilty, that’s all.

There is a strong case for the accused to remain anonymous (like the victims are) until proven guilty - but appreciate that is hard where it's someone famous and the public interest angle kicks in. Doesn't feel right though. Also wasn't there a Tory MP accused of rape last year but his name was never revealed? Or did I imagine that?

3 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

There is a strong case for the accused to remain anonymous (like the victims are) until proven guilty - but appreciate that is hard where it's someone famous and the public interest angle kicks in. Doesn't feel right though. Also wasn't there a Tory MP accused of rape last year but his name was never revealed? Or did I imagine that?

I get what you are saying re the public interest angle. There is also the Internet speculation angle which we saw recently with an Everton player that was arrested for an under age offence who was not named publicly but was widely named on social media.

I’m unaware of the Tory MP you refer to but wouldn’t be surprised if that was the case, some people have friends in higher places than others.

It’s a difficult one alright and I’m in no way attempting to defend this man, I would just feel more comfortable if he (and all others accused of this kind of crime) remained anonymous until the legal procedure has taken it’s due course and has determined his/their innocence or guilt.

3 minutes ago, Pearl Ram said:

I get what you are saying re the public interest angle. There is also the Internet speculation angle which we saw recently with an Everton player that was arrested for an under age offence who was not named publicly but was widely named on social media.

I’m unaware of the Tory MP you refer to but wouldn’t be surprised if that was the case, some people have friends in higher places than others.

It’s a difficult one alright and I’m in no way attempting to defend this man, I would just feel more comfortable if he (and all others accused of this kind of crime) remained anonymous until the legal procedure has taken it’s due course and has determined his/their innocence or guilt.

Big difference here is that in the previous case, and likely this one, they can get named abroad anyway as their press isn't held to any of our regulation so the name is going to get out online regardless.

2 minutes ago, Srg said:

Big difference here is that in the previous case, and likely this one, they can get named abroad anyway as their press isn't held to any of our regulation so the name is going to get out online regardless.

Oh well, disregard everything I’ve posted everybody, nothing to see here.

10 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

The one and only good thing to come from this is that Laurence Fox has got himself banned from Twitter as a result

Morgan, Farage, even Hopkins, I can just about deal with them (and when I say deal, I mean manage not to get wound up by them).

For some reason Fox just sends me over the edge though. I try not to look at any of the stuff he says because it just winds me up. Mostly because I don't think he believes half of it himself.

1 hour ago, Stive Pesley said:

The one and only good thing to come from this is that Laurence Fox has got himself banned from Twitter as a result

FWIW, only his tweet was removed, he has attempted to justify his tweet on twitter this morning.

The only really disappointing thing about his tweet I find is that as @Pearl Ram has alluded, he has judged Mendy guilty already - he may well be, but at least let justice take its course first.

2 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

Also wasn't there a Tory MP accused of rape last year but his name was never revealed? Or did I imagine that?

You are absolutley right. It was very easy to figure out who it was because he didn't show up on the Commons for several months as his party suspended him pending investigation. But for whatever reason he wasn't allowed to be named in the media.