Derby County vs Notts Forest

Tombo

3 minutes ago, hydraulic ram said:

Shame about the draw, but last season we would have lost this by 2 clear goals and gone into the break on a low note.

1 point and a good first half I'll take for now, considering all we face.

If we can get a break from the EFL move on from all the threats of deductions and be allowed to bring in a few new faces we really could end up doing better than many of us thought at the start of the season.

Didn't we draw this fixture 1-1 last season? I read the same after the Boro game who we also beat at home last season.

The lack of goals is a problem in this team. 

2 minutes ago, LazloW said:

Perhaps the tactical geniuses on the forum could explain the thinking in the goal kicks because it’s flummoxed me!

The thinking is to draw players out of position and in turn create space for the defenders and midfielders to play with so we can play out from the back. With Roos looking to hit either full back if they are in space.

The problem isn't so much this as a tactic but it was failing in part because our supply line out of the left side of our side is wonky.

2 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Didn't we draw this fixture 1-1 last season? I read the same after the Boro game who we also beat at home last season.

The lack of goals is a problem in this team. 

What to do though? It's all very well Rooney coming out and saying we need to be more clinical, it's not like it's just a switch you can flick on and off though. 

1 minute ago, brady1993 said:

The thinking is to draw players out of position and in turn create space for the defenders and midfielders to play with so we can play out from the back. With Roos looking to hit either full back if they are in space.

The problem isn't so much this as a tactic but it was failing in part because our supply line out of the left side of our side is wonky.

? And it wasn't what cost us the goal.

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Who then? In the 2nd half don't think Watson would have been better than Shinnie or Bird (who wasn't as good as 1st half).

Watson probably needed to come on for Shinnie with Bird switching to left hand side to help fix the issues with playing out on that side and playing out from the back in general.

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

He's weaker than either of them. We were on the back foot.

Forest weren't really posing any threat outside of when we gave the ball cheaply. We were on the back foot because we couldn't play out/keep the ball. Shinnie was a major reason for this, especially in that triangle with Davies and Fozzy. 

Watson would have helped us get a hold of the ball and gave us more control had we done that Forest would have largely rolled over.

7 minutes ago, LazloW said:

Perhaps the tactical geniuses on the forum could explain the thinking in the goal kicks because it’s flummoxed me!

I'm no tactical genious, But I can tell you what WR has said when asked, He wants to play out from the back, Keep the ball and work it upfield, There appears to be a new thinking with this tactic, Some prem teams are doing this, We looked comfortable in the 1st half, But Forest changed tack and put the pressure on us.

Just now, brady1993 said:

Forest weren't really posing any threat outside of when we gave the ball cheaply. We were on the back foot because we couldn't play out/keep the ball. Shinnie was a major reason for this, especially in that triangle with Davies and Fozzy. 

Watson would have helped us get a hold of the ball and gave us more control had we done that Forest would have largely rolled over.

Actually Bird was giving the ball away more than Shinnie, who at least went forward with the ball.

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

Actually Bird was giving the ball away more than Shinnie, who at least went forward with the ball.

Bird gave the ball once or twice going forwards. Trying to hit a player in a dangerous area. I'm not sure Shinnie hit a meaningful forwards pass all game. But that wasn't the problem as such. He deliberates way too much on the ball, he often telegraphs his pass and he often passes on the buck of responsibility in possession too easily both when he's on the ball and shying away from the ball when he's not.

Watch back how many times he takes 5 or 6 touches, misses out a couple passing opportunity before making a 5yard sideways or backwards that ends up with a player under pressure.

20 minutes ago, LazloW said:

Another frustrating game. Apart from Boro we’ve been in front in every league game (and Sheff Utd) which is really encouraging. However, given a lot of quite silly and avoidable goals away and fallen away in games we have been the better side. 

Not quite sure why we don’t seem to be able to keep things going for a full game or how teams always seem to find a way to change things to combat what we’re doing and put us under pressure.  We also seem to have a habit of not changing things which clearly aren’t working (today was the goal kick routine, the ball out to Fozzy and the tendency to play the ball back to Roos under any kind of pressure for him to limp aimlessly).

Having said all that, these are relatively minor criticisms and come from frustration rather than anger. We’re playing much better than I thought we would. Still a long season ahead and it will be tricky - particularly if we have points deducted - but I’m not too downhearted.

I’ll give them credit, they are much better than the utter ridiculous goal kicks we were taking against Peterborough