Derby County vs Notts Forest

Tombo

7 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Is Lawrence even fit enough to play? 

I thought he needed the international break?

Rooney said that he could be given an injection in order to play, and that it would be considered as he'd then have the two week break anyway.

I think Baldock being out clearly made the decision for him. We'd have nobody but Stretton, and Rooney obviously doesn't feel like he's ready to be thrown in as our only option in a game like this.

I've got mixed feelings about that and slightly worried we've blunted our attack. If it as we suspect and Lawrence is up top then I'm not convinced he has the energy or pace to really stretch the pitch with what we need for that role to create space and should allow forest to really step up. But if we are convinced Forest will sit deep anyway it might make sense to put Lawrence into a position where he can freely take up shooting opportunities around the edge of the box.

Personally with Baldock out, I think you play Stretton. He's demonstrated he can do the job required and does have an eye for goal.

An alternative take is it's Sibley up front. It might seem silly at a glance but Rooney has put him up top before and he might want to get his 3 more senior attackers where he'd envisioned them (I think that part is silly but I can see it). Also there is a logic to putting Sibley up there; his movement is intelligent, he gets his shot away faster than most do and clearly has an eye for goal.

Interesting to see how it plays out. As an aside would have liked to have seen Buchanan back, still feel like we need more pace on the left with how aggressively the full backs push up.

6 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Rooney said that he could be given an injection in order to play, and that it would be considered as he'd then have the two week break anyway.

I think Baldock being out clearly made the decision for him. We'd have nobody but Stretton, and Rooney obviously doesn't feel like he's ready to be thrown in as our only option in a game like this.

The thing Stretton has been doing that role ok. Surely would be better right now to either not risk him or use him off the bench if needed.

3 minutes ago, Kernow said:

On his day, Lawrence is our most dangerous player. But I am not sure I get the point in rushing him back for this game and using injections to do so.

I could understand it perhaps if it was a decisive game at the end of the season, but now? Just play those who are fit and available.

Of course, Stretton is generally considered not to be ready, but if the alternative is rushing back a key player and needing injections to do so, I think you take the gamble on the young player and let the injured player fully recover.

1 minute ago, Jourdan said:

On his day, Lawrence is our most dangerous player. But I am not sure I get the point in rushing him back for this game and using injections to do so.

I could understand it perhaps if it was a decisive game at the end of the season, but now? Just play those who are fit and available.

Of course, Stretton is generally considered not to be ready, but if the alternative is rushing back a key player and needing injections to do so, I think you take the gamble on the young player and let the injured player fully recover.

Also by playing him you have to tweak how you were set up to play as you no longer have a player who's constantly going to play on the shoulder to stretch the game (especially given he won't be 100%). Whereas Stretton does play that role.

5 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

I've got mixed feelings about that and slightly worried we've blunted our attack. If it as we suspect and Lawrence is up top then I'm not convinced he has the energy or pace to really stretch the pitch with what we need for that role to create space and should allow forest to really step up. But if we are convinced Forest will sit deep anyway it might make sense to put Lawrence into a position where he can freely take up shooting opportunities around the edge of the box.

Personally with Baldock out, I think you play Stretton. He's demonstrated he can do the job required and does have an eye for goal.

An alternative take is it's Sibley up front. It might seem silly at a glance but Rooney has put him up top before and he might want to get his 3 more senior attackers where he'd envisioned them (I think that part is silly but I can see it). Also there is a logic to putting Sibley up there; his movement is intelligent, he gets his shot away faster than most do and clearly has an eye for goal.

Interesting to see how it plays out. As an aside would have liked to have seen Buchanan back, still feel like we need more pace on the left with how aggressively the full backs push up.

I'm not at all sure we had a choice. Stretton has had issues with injury previously and to me looks as if he's been carrying a knock. It may be tactical but it may well be that we can only get half an hour from him at high intensity at the moment anyway, in which case the bench is the better option.

It shows how weak the squad is. I'm surprised we haven't got Isaac Hutchinson on the bench, meaning Jack Stretton and Louie Watson are the only two forward thinking players there to go with four defenders.

1 minute ago, Carl Sagan said:

I'm not at all sure we had a choice. Stretton has had issues with injury previously and to me looks as if he's been carrying a knock. It may be tactical but it may well be that we can only get half an hour from him at high intensity at the moment anyway, in which case the bench is the better option.

It shows how weak the squad is. I'm surprised we haven't got Isaac Hutchinson on the bench, meaning Jack Stretton and Louie Watson are the only two forward thinking players there to go with four defenders.

Could well be that and it's not something I'd considered. On the face of it I've thought before that Lawrence could well work but more playing as a false 9. And it could well work today. I just worry that tactically it might well allow forest to really compress the space.