Embargo.

simmoram1995

13 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

Pessimists are rarely disappointed. 

If you expect the worst and its not so bad you are happier.

On the other hand if it does turn out fine, pessimists may have missed the odd disappointment but have spent most of their life feeling negative and miserable. Worry about things that may or may not happen destroys the soul especially if it is something that the worrier has no control over. 

9 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

Pessimists are rarely disappointed. 

If you expect the worst and its not so bad you are happier.

Respect your opinion buddy, but living life expecting the worst is not my idea of happiness. It's a shame that the club is struggling so much, but I've never felt the need to insulate myself from the highs and lows. I dare to dream, always have, always will. While there are inevitably more troughs than peaks, for me the dream is what football is all about. I also think that a bit of humour on this forum is no bad thing, especially in times like these.

1 minute ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Respect your opinion buddy, but living life expecting the worst is not my idea of happiness. It's a shame that the club is struggling so much, but I've never felt the need to insulate myself from the highs and lows. I dare to dream, always have, always will. While there are inevitably more troughs than peaks, for me the dream is what football is all about. I also think that a bit of humour on this forum is no bad thing, especially in times like these.

Think maybe rational and pragmatic are better words, just our situation. I wasn’t a pessimist when we were playing great under Steve Mac, I went to games expecting to win them….

38 minutes ago, Bladderwrack said:

On the other hand if it does turn out fine, pessimists may have missed the odd disappointment but have spent most of their life feeling negative and miserable. Worry about things that may or may not happen destroys the soul especially if it is something that the worrier has no control over. 

Not to mention making everyone around them miserable too! 

16 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Respect your opinion buddy, but living life expecting the worst is not my idea of happiness.

Thing is I don't live in a miasma of misery. Most things I am pretty upbeat about, particularly when I meet new people, or try new experiences, but decades of following Derby have generally been a downbeat experience since the 70s. And like I said somewhere else the relentless drip of scandal, poor play , becomes a form of water torture.

I liken following Derby to walking into a lampost. you know it will hurt but the only question is how much? I watched the Brum game on TV and was hopeful for a bout 10 minutes then it was obvious we weren't going to win. On the plus side I could have another Scotch and not worry about getting home.

No matter how bad it gets, you have to live in hope that the good times will return.

Here are a few examples of current Premiership teams who've had recent bad times :

Man City - 3rd division in 2001

Leicester City - Bankrupt & 3rd division in 2008/09

Leeds United - Bankrupt in 2007 and 3rd division for 3 seasons to 2010

Southampton - Bankrupt and 3rd division in 2009

Brighton - no ground and 3rd division up to 2011

Wolves - 3rd division in 2014/15

9 minutes ago, Big Trav said:

so ive not been on here for a good 4 or 5 days and this thread has gone from like 14 pages to 77. can someone fill me in on whats happened please? havent bothered with reading the forum tbh. sick of off the field stuff just want to watch football now

Essentially, we are still under embargo ?

22 minutes ago, Big Trav said:

so ive not been on here for a good 4 or 5 days and this thread has gone from like 14 pages to 77. can someone fill me in on whats happened please? havent bothered with reading the forum tbh. sick of off the field stuff just want to watch football now

Well we have a champion female tennis player in Emma Radacanu, Ronaldo score 2 goals for his new club, India didn't want to play the 5th test, I think financial politics got hold there with the IPL, Verstapen has got pole position in the Italian Grand Prix, It's the Great North Run this Morning, And according to Sky Sports Troy Deeny ran Derby ragged for 20mins after coming off the bench.

On the plus side here's some football

Edited by Unlucky Alf

You need proper owners in football to succeed. It starts at the top if you are owned by clowns you end up being a circus. Leeds for example had a succession of joker owners and ended  up as a laughing stock for 16 or so years. A succession of small clubs like Bournemouth and Brentford have succeeded recently due to good leadership. If you get professional leadership who are invested in progressing a football club and the football club is their main focus and not personal agendas and ego trips that club will prosper. Match good leadership with a big club and  Derby are that and there is only one direction you go and that is up.

53 minutes ago, Bladderwrack said:

A succession of small clubs like Bournemouth and Brentford have succeeded recently due to good leadership

Bornemouth succeeded by breaking spending limits and getting promoted at the right time. They proceeded to spend a poo load of money on failed signings on big wages. Their last accounts showed a £60m loss. Good leadership my arse.

If we hadn't had had all those injuries in 2014/15, or had Ibe recalled, we were pretty much nailed on for promotion (without cheating to do it) and probably still be being praised for our approach by some who've damned it.

Edited by Coconut's Beard

How to get around the embargo (?)

"Derby County have announced the signing of teenage prospect Malcolm Ebiowei from Rangers on a permanent deal.

Following a medical, the attacking midfielder has signed for the Rams Academy just 17 months after joining the youth setup at the Scottish champions.

The 18-year-old has signed a one-year deal with Derby, where he will presumably line out for the Under-18's squad for the 2021/22 campaign.

Ebiowei has previously represented both England and the Netherlands at youth international level and was on the books at Arsenal before joining Rangers in 2020.

Derby are unable to sign players to their senior team due to the transfer embargo placed on them by the EFL, but they can still add youth players to their ranks."

Not so dark at the end of the tunnel !

46 minutes ago, 48 hours said:

How to get around the embargo (?)

"Derby County have announced the signing of teenage prospect Malcolm Ebiowei from Rangers on a permanent deal.

Following a medical, the attacking midfielder has signed for the Rams Academy just 17 months after joining the youth setup at the Scottish champions.

The 18-year-old has signed a one-year deal with Derby, where he will presumably line out for the Under-18's squad for the 2021/22 campaign.

Ebiowei has previously represented both England and the Netherlands at youth international level and was on the books at Arsenal before joining Rangers in 2020.

Derby are unable to sign players to their senior team due to the transfer embargo placed on them by the EFL, but they can still add youth players to their ranks."

Not so dark at the end of the tunnel !

Odds on tomorrow's Sun featuring a story about his forged birth certificate??