Kelle Roos

DarkFruitsRam7

Typical of the lack.of balance on this forum - one good game and he's a world beater, one poor game and he's garbage.

We already knew before the game last night that Roos was a good shot stopper but doesn't command his area at all, is not comfortable with the ball played back to him and drops the occasional high profile ricket.

Nothing has changed from this since last night. 

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

Typical of the lack.of balance on this forum - one good game and he's a world beater, one poor game and he's garbage.

We already knew before the game last night that Roos was a good shot stopper but doesn't command his area at all, is not comfortable with the ball played back to him and drops the occasional high profile ricket.

Every keeper has weaknesses. Overall Roos for me has proved himself. And he deserves praise keeping a clean sheet last night. 
Agree about not commanding box enough but high profile ricket ? Most keepers will do something like this. Same as other players. It’s highlighted if a keeper does it but I’ve seen top strikers miss open goals scuff shots etc... 
Agree about balance on forum though, Byrne has suddenly become awful  in the eyes of people even though he was player of the season 

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

Went into Birmingham conceding the 3rd fewest goals in the Championship.

Came out the game the forum was littered with criticism over the way Rooney sets up his defence.

Next game, we go on to keep a clean sheet against top of the table.

This isn't just this forum, Twitter is the same. Full of vivalapoohouse and Rooneyball this morning, but say we conceded in the last 10 seconds by a mistake, it would be Rooney out, Roos out, sack the tea lady.

Escapes me what I was watching the other day but they was talking about Alex Ferguson, a player could have had a shocker, made mistakes all game, but say another player made a mistake in the last minute, that's who Fergie would go nuts at, totally forgetting the other 89 minutes.

The players would be chuckling knowing he's going to get it.

It's just football, the emotional rollercoaster with extremely short memories.

9 minutes ago, David said:

Came out the game the forum was littered with criticism over the way Rooney sets up his defence.

This isn't just this forum, Twitter is the same. Full of vivalapoohouse and Rooneyball this morning, but say we conceded in the last 10 seconds by a mistake, it would be Rooney out, Roos out, sack the tea lady.

Escapes me what I was watching the other day but they was talking about Alex Ferguson, a player could have had a shocker, made mistakes all game, but say another player made a mistake in the last minute, that's who Fergie would go nuts at, totally forgetting the other 89 minutes.

Found it.

(Does contain very fruity language)

5 hours ago, David said:

Yeah but by the 89th minute fergie was on his third bottle of red so could only remember the previous minute.... 

5 hours ago, David said:

Yeah, this.

I've only seen the short highlights of yesterday's game, completely forgot it was on and only saw the score at full time. Had other things on my mind.

What struck me from reading a few pages of the match thread afterwards and comparing it to the highlights were the number of people calling it an excellent defensive display, but watching their chances every one of them coincided with some pretty shocking defending!

We've had games where we've defended very well for 89 minutes but a couple of lapses of concentration means we've lost, and subsequently been absolutely slated for out lack of ability to defend, individual players moaned at and called frauds  for their mistakes (even when they're not defenders), called a liability where the only difference is whether the opposition put the ball a foot or so further to one side of the keeper or not.

If WBA's last minute free header without a defender anywhere near him ends up in the net it's "predictable Derby" "our ducking defending is useless" and negative threads created about whoever failed to track their man, whoever failed to stop the cross, the goalkeeper who's foot it went under etc.

A matter of centimeters between being hailed as a great defensive display even though all of the Derby players did all of the same things at the same time, but the oppsoition hit it ever so slightly differently and it skimmed off the side of Roos foot and into the net.

The WBA player hit it where he did though and so it's praise all round. It really doesn't make any sense!

1 minute ago, Coconut's Beard said:

Yeah, this.

I've only seen the short highlights of yesterday's game, completely forgot it was on and only saw the score at full time. Had other things on my mind.

What struck me from reading a few pages of the match thread afterwards and comparing it to the highlights were the number of people calling it an excellent defensive display, but watching their chances every one of them coincided with some pretty shocking defending!

We've had games where we've defended very well for 89 minutes but a couple of lapses of concentration means we've lost, and subsequently been absolutely slated for out lack of ability to defend, individual players moaned at and called frauds  for their mistakes (even when they're not defenders), called a liability where the only difference is whether the opposition put the ball a foot or so further to one side of the keeper or not.

If WBA's last minute free header without a defender anywhere near him ends up in the net it's "predictable Derby" "our ducking defending is useless" and negative threads created about whoever failed to track their man, whoever failed to stop the cross, the goalkeeper who's foot it went under etc.

A matter of centimeters between being hailed as a great defensive display even though all of the Derby players did all of the same things at the same time, but the oppsoition hit it ever so slightly differently and it skimmed off the side of Roos foot and into the net.

The WBA player hit it where he did though and so it's praise all round. It really doesn't make any sense!

Pretty much why under Rowett when fans were saying they would rather lose and play nice football I just didn't believe  that would ever be true.

It's a results game. If you can play nice football and pick up results, great, but get that win and things will be golden with the fans.

15 minutes ago, Coconut's Beard said:

So shocking we conceded no goals! ?

8 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

I'm constantly perplexed by the opinion of some that Roos is not comfortable with the ball played back to him. To me he's extraordinarily good with his feet. The defenders sometimes make terrible decisions and put him under intense pressure as a result, but he's got great skill with both feet and is pretty unflappable and able to handle it in a way hardly any other Championship keepers would.

And a great shot stopper too.

I think you're right he doesn't command his area properly. With two such experienced central defenders in front of him now, I hope that will improve as they coordinate better between each other.

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

So shocking we conceded no goals! ?

Surprising, fortunate. You've proven my point exactly though, mocking the idea that we didn't defend well, evidenced by us keeping a clean sheet as if they're mutually exclusive.

Ball across the box, 3 opposition players lining up for an easy goal, They hit it straight at the defender on the line - good defending?

A central defender completely abandons his man on the edge of the box to help out a RB who isn't even being doubled up on they pass it to said attacker on the edge of the 6 yard box, keeper saves - good defending?

A CB covering RB is beaten by the bounce of the ball, over-commits and gives an oppisiton winger 35 yards of open space in behind - good defending?

A cross comes in from out left, there are 3 CBs marking 2 opposition players in the middle, the LWB is watching this while stood stationary, oblivious of the opposition midfielder running in behind him, free header is saved - good defending?

The pont isn't to dig out the defenders in question (hence no names), if anything I'm often defensive of people being singled out for fault unless they do something like, say, kick it straight to an attacker 8 yards out.

It's just that if you take the exact same scenarios laid out above and apply a better finish by the opposition (they were not difficult chances and you'd be miffed if we missed them), any one or all of those situations will result in angry criticism of all the defensive players involved. If Roos hadn't played so well 3 of those 4 scenarios would have been goals and we'd have had a heavy defeat.

Even 1 of them going in results in us losing. We have Forest 2 glorious chances and 1 went in, the response was criticism.

All praise to Roos for reading the situations well enough, just don't pretend that it was heroic defending and organisational structure which lead to us gaining the point - We'll be punished in the future for one or all of these things in the future and everyone will cry poor defending.

But as we kept a clean sheet, in this one game... good defending?

Edited by Coconut's Beard

1 minute ago, Coconut's Beard said:

Ball across the box, 3 opposition players lining up for an easy goal, They hit it straight at the defender on the line - good defending?

A central defender completely abandons his man on the edge of the box to help out a RB who isn't even being doubled up on they pass it to said attacker on the edge of the 6 yard box, keeper saves - good defending?

A CB covering RB is beaten by the bounce of the ball, over-commits and gives an oppisiton winger 35 yards of open space in behind - good defending?

A cross comes in from out left, there are 3 CBs marking 2 opposition players in the middle, the LWB is watching this whole stood stationary, oblivious of the opposition midfielder running in behind him, free header is saved - good defending?

Because every game the players are exactly where you think they should be. Nothing is 100% at this level. We defended well.