Jagielka

Chris_Martin

41 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

I was lucky enough to see Paul Mcgrath play fur us, His knees were shot, He very rarely trained, But a player who was superb/outstanding in our defence, Marshald from the back line, Knew how to push his marker under the ball so he's win all his headers, Is Jagielka of the same mould...we'll see, One Swallow (queue puns ?) doesn't make a summer, His legs may be 39 years old but his attitude and awareness will be missed by Sheff Untd.

I remember watching McGrath in that season and what a joy he was to behold. 
Positional sense and speed of thought above anyone I’d seen play in defence for Derby. 
I’m 45 now so never got to see the champion winning team but have seen the likes of Wright, Hindmarsh, Stimac etc but for that one season Paul McGrath was absolutely immense. 
I remember him tracking a runner who had beat him for pace as a ball was played through and in stride Paul back healed a clearance further than some were able to make a normal clearance. The striker turned to look at him and just shook his head in disbelief. 

If Phil Jagielka can bring us even a fraction of what McGrath gave us in his one season we will find ourselves safe and secure for another year. 
Yesterday was a promising start. 

Edited by England Ram

6 minutes ago, England Ram said:

I remember watching McGrath in that season and what a joy he was to behold. 
Positional sense and speed of thought above anyone I’d seen play in defence for Derby. 
I’m 45 now so never got to see the champion winning team but have seen the likes of Wright, Hindmarsh, Stimac etc but for that one season Paul McGrath was absolutely immense. 
I remember him tracking a runner who had beat him for pace as a ball was played through and in stride Paul back healed a clearance further than some were able to make a normal clearance. The striker turned to look at him and just shook his head in disbelief. 

If Phil Jagielka can bring us even a fraction of what McGrath gave us in his one season we will find ourselves safe and secure for another year. 
Yesterday was a promising start. 

McGrath was one of the greatest defenders in the world. An outstanding player and a joy to watch in his season as a Ram. He was key to us having a good season. If Jagielka can have a similar impact, I’ll be happy. 

1 hour ago, Rampage said:

XF Jag was V6 

AF Jag is straight 6

I looked it up on google therefore no need for me to get anorak or similar.

Very good Rampage, ??. Thorough, detailed and witty, as usual.  You get your first gold star anorak badge for research. When our Phil was born however ?.. the XK straight 6 was Jags pedigree. It is Jaguars version ofa Brian Cloughie Derby team Multiple Le Mans 24 hours winners. It starred in road cars from the XK 120, 150, and went on to power Inspector Morse in his MK 2 and then the E Type, (the first production car that could do 150 MPH and at less than half the price of a Ferrari ) It found its way in to the XJ6 towards the end of its days

On the track it was in the Beautiful C type and the king of them all , the magical D type .. iconic piece of motoring history 

The XF was somewhere between a Ford and a Tata motors creation for a different world. Good engine, but Championship play off motor when compared to a Top 6 Premier league XK. 

I haven’t even started on Ferrari’s Columbo V12. It’s basic block and head design didn’t change for 40 years. ..Don’t get me going ? … if you have ever heard a 4 cam 275 GTB at 7,000 RPM … it’s the crowd when we win the Prem

ooooh .. this might be just a bit off topic ! 

19 hours ago, Chris_Martin said:

What a performance.

Didn't put a foot wrong all game. Calm on the ball, great positioning, great leadership, won every tackle, won every header, even when they outpaced him he just put his body in the way?.  Age is just a number!

Age is indeed a number

Phil Jagielka - age 39

Wayne Rooney - age 35

#justsaying

1 hour ago, jono said:

Very good Rampage, ??. Thorough, detailed and witty, as usual.  You get your first gold star anorak badge for research. When our Phil was born however ?.. the XK straight 6 was Jags pedigree. It is Jaguars version ofa Brian Cloughie Derby team Multiple Le Mans 24 hours winners. It starred in road cars from the XK 120, 150, and went on to power Inspector Morse in his MK 2 and then the E Type, (the first production car that could do 150 MPH and at less than half the price of a Ferrari ) It found its way in to the XJ6 towards the end of its days

On the track it was in the Beautiful C type and the king of them all , the magical D type .. iconic piece of motoring history 

The XF was somewhere between a Ford and a Tata motors creation for a different world. Good engine, but Championship play off motor when compared to a Top 6 Premier league XK. 

I haven’t even started on Ferrari’s Columbo V12. It’s basic block and head design didn’t change for 40 years. ..Don’t get me going ? … if you have ever heard a 4 cam 275 GTB at 7,000 RPM … it’s the crowd when we win the Prem

ooooh .. this might be just a bit off topic ! 

I had a Reliant Robin. I strapped a Jag V6 onto the roof. I got my mate to try it. I have not seen the car or my mate since. Apparently if I had used the straight 6 it would have had a similar effect. Haha. With such good acceleration you can not only go off topic but you can do it very quickly and none of the mods have a car that can catch you so no problem there. Haha just about to watch a rerun  of the game and keep an eye on Jag (...).