Time to walk away Wayne

DCFC_Sloth

56 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Yup.

The time to have sacked him was last season.

Clearly, if we cannot afford Shay Given's salary, we cannot afford Rooney's compensation package.

Maybe gardening leave just as a damage limitation exercise?

But, I'm not sure anything will really change until the ownership changes. That's not even a criticism of Mel, there's enough doing that. We just need a new era to begin.

I wouldn’t let WR anywhere near my garden

1 hour ago, sage said:

90% of our problems aren't down to the manager. I'm not saying he is a great or even good manager, but we have other priorities at the minute. 

But it's worse than that, our problem is that he may not even be an average manager. In fact, he may well be quite bad at managing football clubs. The evidence seems to point in that direction.  And whatever else, he is certainly an inexperienced manager.  And that simply won't be enough for us. What we really need is a near miracle worker of a manager this season if we are going to survive.

However I agree entirely that there are more fundamental problems with the club that need to addressed, that much is clear. The discussion of whether manager should stay or walk is something of a distraction.  We clearly don't have the money to sack him, so whether he leaves or not is entirely at Rooney's discretion alone.  We have no reason to expect that he will...he has every right to continue in the job that he is contracted to do.  In a sense, he is now almost in a no lose situation, regarding his reputation. Get relegated, and everyone outside the club will just blame our shambolic off the field situation.  Somehow stay up and he earns a huge amount of credit.  There is no reason at all for him to walk. 

I think the time was right after the end of last season.

There's little point now. And after 1 defeat in the season it's not really helpful.

I think we should wait until the accounts/efl situation is resolved. It'd give wayne the pretext to leave without it being dishonourable. It'd free us of his managerial talents. everyone's a winner.

16 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I think the time was right after the end of last season.

There's little point now. And after 1 defeat in the season it's not really helpful.

I think we should wait until the accounts/efl situation is resolved. It'd give wayne the pretext to leave without it being dishonourable. It'd free us of his managerial talents. everyone's a winner.

If I had a choice between leaving at the beginning of the season or leaving until we are even more in the mire,I'd always choose the former so a new guy at least has a chance to imprint their style on a club (Mac 2014?....just think if we hadn't left it so many games before he came in,we would probably have gone up in the automatics that season)

I'm sure,if Mel was bothered,he could get Rooney to leave voluntarily and keep his dignity.

I can't see it though,our fate seems to entwined with Wayne sadly.

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong

2 hours ago, Rammeister said:

Question is, would you have posted this if we’d hung on for the final 10 mins of added time and got the win?

I don’t think I would have made the post, but I don’t think a win today would do any more than paper over the cracks. 2 wins in 18 and 11 points still is far from good enough. 

Would you not agree that regardless of the situation surrounding the club, that Rooney has the tools available on the pitch to get more points than he has? 

2 hours ago, Rampage said:

Joz and Byrne gave them the game today. A game that we should have drawn or won. Not the fault of Rooney.

This is not because of one loss, it’s a consistent pattern of results that are far below the level. Individual errors can be looked at today, but there comes a point where you have to look at the coach. It’s been consistently not good enough since the injury of Bielik. 

1 hour ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

If I had a choice between leaving at the beginning of the season or leaving until we are even more in the mire,I'd always choose the former so a new guy at least has a chance to imprint their style on a club (Mac 2014?....just think if we hadn't left it so many games before he came in,we would probably have gone up in the automatics that season)

I'm sure,if Mel was bothered,he could get Rooney to leave voluntarily and keep his dignity.

I can't see it though,our fate seems to entwined with Wayne sadly.

I'm not a Nigel fan, but Mac earned 1 point more in the reverse fixtures than him.

Nowhere near enough to go up automatically, and that's with the additions of Thorne, Bamford and Dawkins.

2 hours ago, 1967RAMS said:

If you think Rooney is the main cause of the malaise in this club, you want putting down 

Rooney may not be the cause of all problems at the club, but that does not mean he should get a free pass. He has been here for the best part of a year and has absolutely failed to get the best out of the tools at his disposal. You can’t possibly argue that another manager wouldn’t have done more with what we have. He has international players, players with premier league experience, players who have reached play off finals, and we have won one game in eighteen. If you can accept or see that Rooney is a major factor in our on field struggles, then maybe it is you that needs putting down. 

2 hours ago, Rosythram said:

When are Derby fans going to smell the coffee?

Rooney is manager by default, but in fairness no one else would entertain us whilst the EFL and Mel have got this vitriol towards each other.

It’s way overdue for Derby County supporters to understand the complexity of the situation.

If he is only manager by default it is because of the cost of sacking him. There will always be someone prepared to give it a go and apply if the job was advertised. Also, to be fair, I think most Derby fans are acutely aware that the situation is complex and difficult.

6 minutes ago, Rev said:

I'm not a Nigel fan, but Mac earned 1 point more in the reverse fixtures than him.

Nowhere near enough to go up automatically, and that's with the additions of Thorne, Bamford and Dawkins.

Mac 1 had more points from when he took over through until the end of the season than any other team, just took over a bit too late…..

2 hours ago, IslandExile said:

Yup.

The time to have sacked him was last season.

Clearly, if we cannot afford Shay Given's salary, we cannot afford Rooney's compensation package.

Maybe gardening leave just as a damage limitation exercise?

But, I'm not sure anything will really change until the ownership changes. That's not even a criticism of Mel, there's enough doing that. We just need a new era to begin.

Who's this we? It's Mel who is refusing to spend anymore money on anything.

Personally I think the squad is borderline relegation standard, Wayne is a relegation standard manager and the ownership situation as it stands is League 1 standard. So I find it difficult to be too concerned to focus on Rooney in so far as he is no worse than anything/anyone else around him; none of it is good enough. I can't see much happening until Mel is out. I just hope if we do go down we pick up another points not to be humiliated; will only call for Wayne's head if the form of theback end of last season continues on for a few weeks yet as that was humiliation form. No disgrace in fighting with the tools we have but if its get embarrassing then we may need to do something. We're 10 games+ away from that assessment IMO, if we've got 5 or 6 points or something like that then decision makes itself IMO.

Edited by SillyBilly