Jump to content

Time to walk away Wayne


 Share

Recommended Posts

What I mean by he got the job by default is he was already on our books as being paid. Regardless of what people think 32red will not be paying all his wages.

If we had brought in a new manager that means additional costs, for example another wage to pay, that we could not afford.

We just changed his role but the cost remained the same.

Yes, Chris Hughton has failed at Forest but his record elsewhere is good. Promotions with Newcastle and Brighton plus guiding Birmingham to the play offs and keeping Norwich in the Premier League (many others have failed to do this).

I would still take Hughton over Rooney but that is my opinion.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'll admire Rooney if he stays on zero wages...I doubted that he stayed with us for the love of the club,suspecting that he had no other management options at the end of last season but this might prove otherwise if he essentially carries on with no significant pay.

I can't help but feel that he's extremely naive though and has had the wool pulled firmly over his eyes...he clearly didn't see this coming despite all the signs being there and he couldn't of been in a more advantageous position to be in the know.

Im honestly still not sure if he's not a little dim,extremely stubborn or a combination of both.

Whatever though,he is all we have and we absolutely have to get behind the squad today,who are already hurting from this...I know we all imagine them to be living the dream with huge houses and fast cars (and they are!) but we all spend to our means and not being paid is no different to one of us suffering the fate and wondering how we are going to pay the mortgage this month.

 

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Warwick Ram said:

What I mean by he got the job by default is he was already on our books as being paid. Regardless of what people think 32red will not be paying all his wages.

If we had brought in a new manager that means additional costs, for example another wage to pay, that we could not afford.

We just changed his role but the cost remained the same.

Yes, Chris Hughton has failed at Forest but his record elsewhere is good. Promotions with Newcastle and Brighton plus guiding Birmingham to the play offs and keeping Norwich in the Premier League (many others have failed to do this).

I would still take Hughton over Rooney but that is my opinion.

We know there was a star player clause where we would receive X additional money from 32Red, in turn that helped cover X% of his wages as a player.

Maybe that crossed over when he took the job making it the cheaper option as you say, but it's also possible the 32Red extra money stopped and he's no cheaper than X manager would have been.

X manager though wouldn't be the big name that will draw attention as Lampard did.

Handy having big names when you're trying to sell the club. 

Not just that but Rooney was talking about having a lot of players messaging him wanting to play under him, Rooney as Lampard was would have been an idol whilst growing up for a lot of players. 

Big reason why I think he would have no problems finding another job at this level if he was to leave. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, David said:

We know there was a star player clause where we would receive X additional money from 32Red, in turn that helped cover X% of his wages as a player.

Maybe that crossed over when he took the job making it the cheaper option as you say, but it's also possible the 32Red extra money stopped and he's no cheaper than X manager would have been.

X manager though wouldn't be the big name that will draw attention as Lampard did.

Handy having big names when you're trying to sell the club. 

Not just that but Rooney was talking about having a lot of players messaging him wanting to play under him, Rooney as Lampard was would have been an idol whilst growing up for a lot of players. 

Big reason why I think he would have no problems finding another job at this level if he was to leave. 

It hasn’t helped in selling the club though.

We have had Rooney and Lampard perhaps two of the biggest names from the Premier League in the last decade.

We are still trying to find a buyer. The club regardless of big names clearly isn’t attractive to any legitimate buyers.

Administration will do more to fund a buyer than any big name has done in the last two years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Warwick Ram said:

It hasn’t helped in selling the club though.

We have had Rooney and Lampard perhaps two of the biggest names from the Premier League in the last decade.

We are still trying to find a buyer. The club regardless of big names clearly isn’t attractive to any legitimate buyers.

Administration will do more to fund a buyer than any big name has done in the last two years.

Rooney hasn't harmed the sale either, we could have Pep Guardiola in charge and we would still struggle to sell the club with the EFL mess hanging over us.

Which is why I agree with you, administration will do more to find a buyer now.

I would like to think though that this situation has dragged on far longer than expected.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, David said:

Rooney hasn't harmed the sale either, we could have Pep Guardiola in charge and we would still struggle to sell the club with the EFL mess hanging over us.

Which is why I agree with you, administration will do more to find a buyer now.

I would like to think though that this situation has dragged on far longer than expected.

I sometimes think many Derby fans aren't really aware just how big a (social) media presence Rooney has. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I sometimes think many Derby fans aren't really aware just how big a (social) media presence Rooney has. 

And how has that helped us Macca? Derby County is bigger than Wayne Rooney. Let’s put the manager situation to one side for now. We need new owners in ASAP and then take it from there eh. At this moment in time who the Manager is is pretty irrelevant. We need to make sure there is still a club left to manage…..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I sometimes think many Derby fans aren't really aware just how big a (social) media presence Rooney has. 

Wayne Rooney may well have a big social media presence but that counts for a big fat 0 regarding new prospective owners. All that matters to them is the financial state the club is in

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, atherstoneram said:

Wayne Rooney may well have a big social media presence but that counts for a big fat 0 regarding new prospective owners. All that matters to them is the financial state the club is in

Not sure.

Let's say a potential owner is a major shareholder at say a betting company, in the summer they replace 32Red with their company.

They now have Wayne Rooney walking around with their company name on his chest.

Or Asia, a Chinese owner comes in, takes the club on tour over their in the summer parading their Wayne Rooney around, swapping Man Utd shirts for Derby.

Now he's sold his image rights company, he is an asset. 

Not suggesting we take whatever results and performances that come as we have the Rooney asset, but just not sure it counts for nothing.

Having big names at your club makes it easier to market and make money. I mean look at 32Red, they paid us extra as we signed Rooney, wore the number 32.

It's a business remember.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No other club looking at his record would touch him at this level but I think he needs to stay simply for continuity. If his wages are too high as the administrators come in and he's not willing to take a hit on his salary when he's already got enough to be set for 2 lifetimes then he knows where the door is. I don't get the love for the man as our manager never have and unless something miraculous happens I never will but I imagine he's had the wool pulled over his eyes (as have we all) so I do feel sorry for the situation he's been put in. 

Part of the reason why we're in this mess is an obsession with celebrity and 'big names'. I think what potential owners care more about than having a 'big name' manager is having a sustainable club with a competitive squad and competent staff. 

Edited by Leeds Ram
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, David said:

Not sure.

Let's say a potential owner is a major shareholder at say a betting company, in the summer they replace 32Red with their company.

They now have Wayne Rooney walking around with their company name on his chest.

Or Asia, a Chinese owner comes in, takes the club on tour over their in the summer parading their Wayne Rooney around, swapping Man Utd shirts for Derby.

Now he's sold his image rights company, he is an asset. 

Not suggesting we take whatever results and performances that come as we have the Rooney asset, but just not sure it counts for nothing.

Having big names at your club makes it easier to market and make money. I mean look at 32Red, they paid us extra as we signed Rooney, wore the number 32.

It's a business remember.

Yes @David it is a business but what happens when his contract is up and he decides to move on or the administrators decide they cannot afford his salary.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

Part of the reason why we're in this mess is an obsession with celebrity and 'big names'.

Which part, assuming you are talking about Lampard and Rooney?

Struggling to understand how any of this can be down to these two appointments.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

No other club looking at his record would touch him at this level but I think he needs to stay simply for continuity.

You have no idea that is true. If you listened to the Rio Ferdy video, or read media articles etc you will see that we are to blame for what has been an incredibly difficult management start for Rooney.

He has lots of positives that will be considered, including as can be seen from the start of this season, how well he can do with youth and free agents/loans. That will easily be attractive to many clubs at this level.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, atherstoneram said:

Yes @David it is a business but what happens when his contract is up and he decides to move on or the administrators decide they cannot afford his salary.

I don't know how much Rooney is on to even consider the administrators getting rid over his salary.

As for his contract, of course he will move on at some point, this is football, but if I was looking to buy the club now and use Rooney as an asset, I would hold a conversation with him first, see what his intentions are and see if we could agree a new contract in principle.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As admirable as his commitment to us has been in recent times, he should really consider walking away from the club (and taking no pay off) if he is genuinely on the rumoured 90K-100K salary (Ed Dawes even mentioned this on the phone in yesterday).

Club is going to need to save all the money it can and if he’s so fantastic a manager as some on here suggest, he should have no problem finding another job. 

Edited by Nuwtfly
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

As admirable as his commitment to us has been in recent times, he should really consider walking away from the club (and taking no pay off) if he is genuinely on the rumoured 90K-100K salary (Ed Dawes even mentioned this on the phone in yesterday).

Club is going to need to save all the money it can and if he’s so fantastic a manager as some on here suggest, he should have no problem finding another job. 

So after we thank Wayne for his generosity having slated him for the best part of a year, we then look to appoint a manager that's experienced, will accept a low wage, no joining fee, agree to work with the staff we have, £0 transfer budget, at worse 2 year transfer embargo whilst also having no idea who his boss will be.

Not sure the queue would be that long if I'm honest.

Appreciate you're not his biggest fan, but the timing is dreadful for a change of manager.

The best we would possibly do is to give it Rosenior until the end of the season bringing in no additional staff.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.