v Peterborough (A) Match Day Thread

ollycutts1982

1 hour ago, Andrew3000 said:

Yes, it's a fascinating interview. He is scathing about the idea that players who perform on match day are judged on training. It's a tricky one that because you have to give incentive to train hard but then we've all heard managers talk about talented mavericks who needed managing differently. We know that artistic types for instance tend to be low on trait conscientiousness. So do you bin your best player if he doesn't train as hard as the rest? Very context dependent I imagine and as he says maybe at the elite level you cannot allow this. I'm not saying for one minute jack was our best player, but we were seeing a player who worked hard on the pitch and was scoring. We'll see what happens this year, but the accusation is that he was mismanaged and that seems right to me.

Good interview and I liked their owner for his forthright views and passion for his club....lots of interesting points made including those on Jack which made some sense I thought.

I'm normally pessimistic and always think the worst when it comes to the Rams over the last 10 year's. But something just gives me a little gut feeling about our situation.

A feeling that we might surprise a few people this season. I saw a few shoots of positivity in that 2nd half of the cup game, some of our young players are a lot better than some fans give them credit for. Will some of them emerge as hero's come the end of the season ?

Or have I just got out of the right side of the bed this morning?.

It's also worth noting with Marriott that he didn't just play under Lampard here.

He played under Cocu who also didn't pick him.

He's played with Rooney and under Rooney.

Last season, despite the fact that we couldn't score goals from open play to save our lives, Rooney still didn't recall him in January despite having the option to.

He also went to Sheffield Wednesday and barely got a look in there despite their troubles. 

Infact this article below just shows how bad he was there. He played under 4 managers at Wednesday.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/jack-marriott-sheffield-wednesday-bates-20387225

Edited by MACKWORTHRAM
Added an article

4 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

It's also worth noting with Marriott that he didn't just play under Lampard here.

He played under Cocu who also didn't pick him.

He's played with Rooney and under Rooney.

Last season, despite the fact that we couldn't score goals from open play to save our lives, Rooney still didn't recall him in January despite having the option to.

He also went to Sheffield Wednesday and barely got a look in there despite their troubles. 

And yet again, currently isn't fit. But that's nothing to do with the fact it's been suggested he doesn't train well. Although I imagine the higher up the leagues you go the higher standard of training you can be expected to do increases?

2 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Interesting points.

I feel that Marriott, in a similar way to Waghorn, is judged (rightly or wrongly) by his failings towards the end of his time at Derby. Sometimes I have to force myself to remember how much he contributed to that brilliant 18/19 season.

Let’s not forget, he scored in the games against Man United, Chelsea, Norwich and Leeds, just off the top of my head. Four brilliant, memorable games.

The only problem with Jack is his work ethic. The lad's a natural poacher, but as evidenced by numerous managers, he's also lazy AF.

2 hours ago, angieram said:

This training thing interests me.

Surely however naturally talented, you need some fitness in the legs to last though our tough seasons?

Also, what message does it give to the rest of the squad if one player is allowed to arse about in training but still get picked every week? 

Could it be something other than effort/fitness?

Perhaps their shots aren't hitting the back of the net as often as they should, or passing/crossing is inaccurate... however on match day they're fantastic.

Blackman apparently had the opposite problem. He was dynamite in training but looked like a donkey on matchday.

My ideal XI would see Morrison replicating his second half position against Salford. Ideally you'd want that quality up the pitch but want us to control possession & games - Ravel alongside Bird should guarantee that and act as insurance for our CBs who aren't that comfortable on the ball. 

I'd start Lawrence, Sibley & Jozwiak as the 3 behind Kazim with Sibley in particular tasked to run beyond Kazim.

20210813_185307.thumb.jpg.bbaf2a514382a5edd05b456fc5fbfbe8.jpg

1 hour ago, LeedsCityRam said:

My ideal XI would see Morrison replicating his second half position against Salford. Ideally you'd want that quality up the pitch but want us to control possession & games - Ravel alongside Bird should guarantee that and act as insurance for our CBs who aren't that comfortable on the ball. 

I'd start Lawrence, Sibley & Jozwiak as the 3 behind Kazim with Sibley in particular tasked to run beyond Kazim.

Good team is that. I’d like to see Rooney play that, but I think he may opt for a midfield 3 of Shinnie, Morrison, Bird. Bird being the more advanced potentially. 

Our record away at Peterborough under Ferguson, 2L, but a win when he managed at Preston. Concerned about our record at promoted sides. Last five seasons (if correct, using soccerstats):

'20-'21  Wycombe (W, 2-1), Rotherham & Coventry (both L to nil)/1W 2L

'19 -'20 Luton (L, 3-2), Charlton (L, nil) & Barnsley (D)/1D 2L

'18-'19 Wigan (W), Rotherham & Blackburn (both L to nil)/1W 2L

'17-'18 Bolton (W), Millwall (D) & Sheff United (L)/1W 1D 1L

'16-'17 Wigan (W) , Burton (L to nil), Barnsley (L, nil)/1W 2L

So, 4W 2D 9L, 7 to nil & at least 2L in 4 of the last 5 seasons but at least 1W in 4/5 seasons. It just shows what a soft underbelly we've had for a number of seasons.

Peterborough are out of form, created very few chances at Luton, & a few key players just coming back from injury. I really am not certain what will happen & we are capable of getting a positive result. My fear is that Peterborough may alter tactics, from their usual all out attack, and see this as a scrap as their next three home games are against Cardiff. WBA & Bournemouth. They'll be playing in front of their own fans for the first time in the league and, in turn, our players should be bolstered by an away following.

For us, this game is just as significant and our long run without a win has to end sometime. Regarding Match Day 2,  we haven't won a second game of a new season since Nigel Clough was boss (Brighton, '13-'14) & the sequence reads, LDLLL including one at a promoted Barnsley, then two draws.

3 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Not a great line up, but that's about the best from a paltry DCFC squad. Should be enough to beat P'boro, who also seem pretty dire and have some injuries. 

Peterborough United are going ‘back to basics’ for the visit of Derby County | Peterborough Telegraph (peterboroughtoday.co.uk)

Darren Ferguson:

“It will be a tough game tomorrow and we will need to be much better. Derby’s problems have been well documented, but they can still field a good team and they played well last weekend (a 1-1 home draw with Huddersfield) with a good shape and structure.

“Derby’s difficult situation does make it easier for me to plan purely because they are restricted in who they can play.

Interesting to get the opposition manager's take on the game & how a lack of options narrows the threat we can offer, i.e. strikers, or they may target our veteran back line.