v Peterborough (A) Match Day Thread

ollycutts1982

19 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

We had brilliant options in midfield and wide positions. 

Sadly, as we found out in the following season, we were exposed in the event of any injury to cdm or cf. 

Bit like last season, or even this (fingers crossed for CKR!).

If everyone is on form then our 16 or so players constitute a few different starting elevens. If we can stay injury free and get a few breaks we have have a very encouraging start to the season. If you are not playing well then there are others really keen to get on the pitch.

18 minutes ago, Rampage said:

If everyone is on form then our 16 or so players constitute a few different starting elevens. If we can stay injury free and get a few breaks we have have a very encouraging start to the season. If you are not playing well then there are others really keen to get on the pitch.

Just really really short of CBs and strikers. But we'll make do and mend until the EFL loosen their grip! #COYR

My spy at Luton said that Luton didn’t play well. Usual back 4 was missing, having been pinged. Said Peterborough were very poor even allowing for a disjointed LTFC. Marriott was injured so didn’t play and whoever was their 30 goal striker last season hardly got a touch 

probably jinxed now ..nailed on for a 0-1 ?

20 minutes ago, jono said:

My spy at Luton said that Luton didn’t play well. Usual back 4 was missing, having been pinged. Said Peterborough were very poor even allowing for a disjointed LTFC. Marriott was injured so didn’t play and whoever was their 30 goal striker last season hardly got a touch 

probably jinxed now ..nailed on for a 0-1 ?

Heard similar from my Luton mate. He said that Luton attacked down the wings and Peterborough couldn’t cope with it. They were getting burned over and over and not reacting or changing (or unable to).

Sounds like a 2nd half cameo from Festy could be the ticket!

2 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Big game already this. Seems weird saying that, but it gives the perception on the start of the season.

Win and it’s 3 games unbeaten with a good away victory to boot.

Lose and it soon turns into a 3-game winless run to start the season with two of the easier games already done.

No pressure then!

Early kick off,win and we go top of the league.

6 hours ago, Seaside Ram said:

Without trawling through all 3 Peterborough threads, surely someone has reminisced about the half time Dale Caverse when we were 3-0 down on the terraces? What a laugh that was !  ???

Away day and a half that (despite the result as per) 

Certainly be different in a shiny new stand rather than that high pitched roof Terrace 

There's a few videos knocking about of that halftime atmosphere on YouTube, was also the scene of the henous acts of someone dropping a number 2 in the sink (I assume some desperation arose with two toilet cubicles across a large terrace) ?

18 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Strong take from the Peterborough owner here:

Yes, it's a fascinating interview. He is scathing about the idea that players who perform on match day are judged on training. It's a tricky one that because you have to give incentive to train hard but then we've all heard managers talk about talented mavericks who needed managing differently. We know that artistic types for instance tend to be low on trait conscientiousness. So do you bin your best player if he doesn't train as hard as the rest? Very context dependent I imagine and as he says maybe at the elite level you cannot allow this. I'm not saying for one minute jack was our best player, but we were seeing a player who worked hard on the pitch and was scoring. We'll see what happens this year, but the accusation is that he was mismanaged and that seems right to me.

Edited by Andrew3000

20 minutes ago, Andrew3000 said:

Yes, it's a fascinating interview. He is scathing about the idea that players who perform on match day are judged on training. It's a tricky one that because you have to give incentive to train hard but then we've all heard managers talk about talented mavericks who needed managing differently. We know that artistic types for instance tend to be low on trait conscientiousness. So do you bin your best player if he doesn't train as hard as the rest? Very context dependent I imagine and as he says maybe at the elite level you cannot allow this. I'm not saying for one minute jack was our best player, but we were seeing a player who worked hard on the pitch and was scoring. We'll see what happens this year, but the accusation is that he was mismanaged and that seems right to me.

Interesting points.

I feel that Marriott, in a similar way to Waghorn, is judged (rightly or wrongly) by his failings towards the end of his time at Derby. Sometimes I have to force myself to remember how much he contributed to that brilliant 18/19 season.

Let’s not forget, he scored in the games against Man United, Chelsea, Norwich and Leeds, just off the top of my head. Four brilliant, memorable games.

Edited by DarkFruitsRam7

2 hours ago, Burtonram2066 said:

... was also the scene of the henous acts of someone dropping a number 2 in the sink (I assume some desperation arose with two toilet cubicles across a large terrace) ?

1 hour ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

One of which usually has Darkfruitsram in residence.... ?

Something, something, Plum new depths, something...  

*Yes, of course the spelling is deliberate, it's a pun!   ?

With the whole Cashin debate. It is my belief he can play if required but if he was to come on he would then become a player of professional standing so would take up an extra slot should we be allowed any more signings. Purely on the bench as cover as a last resort. I imagine once Buchanan is fit Fozzy will become the cover for CB and Cashin will drop back to the U23's.

Marriott not played yet for them. Anyone know why?

Hard to imagine he can look that good if working back fitness.

One thing I think we learned last year is that Marriott struggled in struggling teams (us and owls) and I guess posh will be one of those?

I am not wanting him to fail (other than we play them), just saying as I see it.