Derbyshire Live/Derby Telegraph - Shock, horror. Don't believe everything that journalists write about us

WestKentRam

I was sent a link to an article on the Derbyshire Live website after the Salford game yesterday by my brother who always tries to have a dig about me supporting Derby.

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/embarrassing-Derby-county-fans-react-5769451.amp

Just looking at the headline ''Embarrassing' - Derby County fans react after nervy shootout win over Salford' it made no sense as I failed to see how anyone who understood our situation and watched the game would come away with that opinion, unless a very negative supporter.

Well surprise, surprise, they didn't. Using the search function on Twitter, the reported 'Derby fans [who] have reacted to the result on social media, Twitter.' in a negative way actually are not Derby fans, but those of Forest, Leeds, Boro, Sheff Wed and other clubs.

For example...

'One supporter said: "Imagine drawing to Salford, embarrassing!"'

Well, the Tweet was 'Imagine drawing to Salford embarrassing' posted by someone with 'lufc' in his Twitter handle. A Derby fan? Really?

Another quoted Tweet in the article:

'Celebrate sure, but that was embarrassing'

Actual Tweet, from a 'Season card holder at Nottm Forest' was 'Lol o. Celebrate sure but that was embarrassing. I think they celebrated more tonight than they did last game last season.'

To make matters worse, one Tweet appears to have been completely rewritten to make it sound like it came from a Derby supporter when it clearly did not:

'Another added: "Celebrating beating Salford on pens like we won the league. What has Derby County come to?"'

The actual Tweet being from a Huddersfield supporter 'Surely you’re not celebrating beating Salford on pens like you’ve just won the league , what has Derby county come to'.

Looking at the comments on the article on the Derbyshire Live website it looks like Derby fans are equally bemused by the quotes in the article, as they assume they are from fellow Rams supporters, leading them to question what has happened to those who supposedly support the club. Actually it just appears to be DL stirring it, passing off Tweets from our rivals as our own, seemingly trying to make an issue where there isn't one.

12 minutes ago, tinman said:

It will be some intern who gets paid by the article and by clicks who doesn’t have a clue what they’re doing. 

Yeah, and actually you could have combined the bit about 'embarrassing' comments with a bit on why are these fans stalking us on message boards and ended with a 'we showed them'.

Because the DET moved out of local control this is what we get. I have stopped buying the DET, too much non Derbyshire stuff plus articles written about Derby from other outlets. It looks like the Derby based journalists have to tow the line. Look what has happened with the shopping centre. Who from Derbyshire would have called it Derbion. 

What we need is a new local paper.

What annoys me about this most, is that if any Derby players see the headlines it just creates a negative vibe and divisions between players and fans that have been manufactured.

If I were one of the players who played last night then saw that I'd be cheesed off thinking well we scored a wonder goal, blooded youngsters who did well, won a penalty shoot out, but then our fans call us embarrassing, so stuff them.

44 minutes ago, WestKentRam said:

I was sent a link to an article on the Derbyshire Live website after the Salford game yesterday by my brother who always tries to have a dig about me supporting Derby.

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/embarrassing-Derby-county-fans-react-5769451.amp

Just looking at the headline ''Embarrassing' - Derby County fans react after nervy shootout win over Salford' it made no sense as I failed to see how anyone who understood our situation and watched the game would come away with that opinion, unless a very negative supporter.

Well surprise, surprise, they didn't. Using the search function on Twitter, the reported 'Derby fans [who] have reacted to the result on social media, Twitter.' in a negative way actually are not Derby fans, but those of Forest, Leeds, Boro, Sheff Wed and other clubs.

For example...

'One supporter said: "Imagine drawing to Salford, embarrassing!"'

Well, the Tweet was 'Imagine drawing to Salford embarrassing' posted by someone with 'lufc' in his Twitter handle. A Derby fan? Really?

Another quoted Tweet in the article:

'Celebrate sure, but that was embarrassing'

Actual Tweet, from a 'Season card holder at Nottm Forest' was 'Lol o. Celebrate sure but that was embarrassing. I think they celebrated more tonight than they did last game last season.'

To make matters worse, one Tweet appears to have been completely rewritten to make it sound like it came from a Derby supporter when it clearly did not:

'Another added: "Celebrating beating Salford on pens like we won the league. What has Derby County come to?"'

The actual Tweet being from a Huddersfield supporter 'Surely you’re not celebrating beating Salford on pens like you’ve just won the league , what has Derby county come to'.

Looking at the comments on the article on the Derbyshire Live website it looks like Derby fans are equally bemused by the quotes in the article, as they assume they are from fellow Rams supporters, leading them to question what has happened to those who supposedly support the club. Actually it just appears to be DL stirring it, passing off Tweets from our rivals as our own, seemingly trying to make an issue where there isn't one.

I've said before - The internet has been the death of the DET football coverage

They used to be an essential mouthpiece for the club to get information to the fans - In the days where their options were posting something on the wall of the ground, posting a letter, or using the local newspaper

These days the club can tweet, post online, talk to any one of the many forums knocking around (none better than this one obvs) and in many other ways communicate with the fanbase (whether or not they choose to...)

Unfortunately that means the DET have little use to the club any more - The chaps over there need to work harder and harder to justify their salaries and thus churn out nonsense articles to try and generate clicks (and therefore ad revenue)

Don't bother with the Derby Tel at all now. It's either clickbait crap like this or rehashes of what other media outlets have already written. Original content is not their thing anymore. And even if you try to read something, you just get swamped with ads every other paragraph. 

It's a shame because you'd think the chaos going on at DCFC would be meat and drink to a local paper with some news and investigative nous.

9 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

They used to be an essential mouthpiece for the club to get information to the fans - In the days where their options were posting something on the wall of the ground, posting a letter, or using the local newspaper

These days the club can tweet, post online, talk to any one of the many forums knocking around (none better than this one obvs) and in many other ways communicate with the fanbase (whether or not they choose to...)

Unfortunately that means the DET have little use to the club any more - The chaps over there need to work harder and harder to justify their salaries and thus churn out nonsense articles to try and generate clicks (and therefore ad revenue)

Thing is though, they don’t actually work very hard to churn out crap like this. I see so many articles these days that are just ‘look what people have said on Twitter.’

if I cared what they said on Twitter, I’d be following them already, so would already know. If I’m not following them, then I don’t care, so why do I care about this article?

literally anyone can write poo on Twitter. It takes someone with a journalism degree apparently to regurgitate it and call it news. 

3 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

literally anyone can write poo on Twitter. It takes someone with a journalism degree apparently to regurgitate it and call it news. 

It actually doesn't ? One of my mates used to work at (a large national newspaper whose name I won't mention) and they were replacing a LOT of their old journos and sub-editors with 'collators' - People who's job was to scour the internet for 'interesting' content to re-package

Hardly surprising. The pre-match thread they put out and Nicholson incessantly tweets had Salford’s tweet from the the friendly in July to show their line up for last night… pathetic. Just don’t dare pick fault with anything, Nicholson will have an argument with you. 

42 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

The internet is the death of local newspapers full stop. There are now 12 people at the DET... It can only be regarded as a tiny, little pathetic ad machine now unfortunately. 

Nicho is a great guy btw and he shouldn't take any of this personally. He's doing his best in a pretty awful situation and fair play to him for hanging on for so long.