Graeme Shinnie

DCFC Kicks

Shinnie is a better player without the ball than he is on the ball.

He stands out as one of our best players when defending a lead and one of our worst players when chasing a game.

Unfortunately, for most of last season we were chasing games and his limited ability on the ball hurt us.

He would have thrived in Mac’s team, just sitting and mopping up with Hughes and Bryson bombing on. His lack of creativity and ability on the ball wouldn’t be an issue in a winning side. But again, when he’s surrounded by average players and we’re losing games, he looks just as useless!

Edited by Bris Vegas

8 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Shinnie is a better player without the ball than he is on the ball.

He stands out as one of our best players when defending a lead and one of our worst players when chasing a game.

Unfortunately, for most of last season we were chasing games and his limited ability on the ball hurt us.

He would have thrived in Mac’s team, just sitting and mopping up with Hughes and Bryson bombing on. His lack of creativity and ability on the ball wouldn’t be an issue in a winning side. But again, when he’s surrounded by average players and we’re losing games, he looks just as useless!

but we were losing most games last season and he consistently looked one of, if not our best player. 

29 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

but we were losing most games last season and he consistently looked one of, if not our best player. 

He looked our best player when we were winning games. How good was he in the 1-0 win over Bournemouth? Brilliant in the win against Luton and Boro too. Mopped up everything when we had our backs to the wall fighting to hold the lead.

But he was mostly poor in the games we lost. He is the type of player every club needs when they’re holding on to something. But when we’re instead chasing or needing creativity from deep, he’s largely ineffective.

He stands out like a sore thumb when we’re defending a lead as he launches into crunching tackles, harries the opposition and breaks up attacks. Fans love to see that determination. But aside from a couple of penalties, you’d struggle to name any instances where he has been effective on the ball. 

Edited by Bris Vegas

9 hours ago, Chris_Martin said:

People assume that he was Brysons replacement because they have such similar backgrounds, but Shinnie was actually signed to replace Johnson in the holding role.

I heard that we were going to bring in Bielik with Frank in charge anyway, he wasn't necessarily cocu's target

14 hours ago, Chris_Martin said:

agreed. 

that's actually what Lampard signed him for. 

People are saying he can't play there because his passing isn't good enough. Was Eustace really that good at passing?

Difference is eustace had Hughes hendrick and Bryson whereas shinnie has bird. Eustace could just do the simples things because the other 2 were runners in an 8 and were the legs. Bird just sits next to shinnie and doesn’t get forward so are midfield in the middle is very limited. If shinnie had what eustace had he would be fine but for me I’d rather sell and reinvest the money in someone who can carry the ball forward and gets about a bit like bielik but can not injury prone. Knight and bird would be interesting together if not so young 

31 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

As others have mentioned I'd have to disagree. In 13/14 Buxton really started pinging out passes particularly in situations when a full back had really pushed forward. There is a great example of it here 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zysNz6vAcrQ

What a fantastic goal that was. We used to have a good side didn't we.

For all the complaining I was expecting a lot of "I'll drive him there myself" comments... or maybe no-one owns a tractor?!

Can see where this is going. Shinnie out for a few quid, Carroll in on a free and on lower wages. 

Maybe the same for Jozwiak/Lawrence and Grosicki .

We're trying to recoup all we can while we can, and cut costs as far as we can.

Ipswich are loaded, 14 new players in this summer, quite a few of championship potential/standard and are probably nailed on for promotion - theoretically in 12 months will be swapping places with us. Could see Shinnie being tempted but only if we tell him he has no future here as I imagine he's pretty loyal.

If Garner was lined up for DM fine, but we're in no position to do that deal. 

11 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Lampard signed him to be Bryson's replacement

10 hours ago, Chris_Martin said:

People assume that he was Brysons replacement because they have such similar backgrounds, but Shinnie was actually signed to replace Johnson in the holding role.

I'm not convinced any of us actually know who Lampard signed for what reason - Unless one of you guys are Frank in disguise?

Worth noting that Johnson was the player Clement brought in when Bryson got injured - I've always viewed Butterfield and Johnson as the 'stop gaps' we brought in when Hughes and Bryson got long(ish) injuries at the start of that season

That plus Johnson was used by Lampard as a last resort in that position - He started off playing further forward and only got pulled back into that place when it seemed Lampard worked out none of our other midfielders could tackle 

Personally I think Shinnie is a lot more like Bryson and Johnson at their best - Which is box to box, using their boundless anergy to disrupt play further up the pitch, add an extra body to every attack and defence, get into the box at both ends and provide an extra passing option in the middle - Not sure Shinnie is at his best restricted to the deeper role 

He's a general purpose traditional british midfielder.

He's not a defesnive midfielder, a creative midfielder, a wide midfielder or a transitional midfielder, he's just that general purpose box to box man who does a lot of stuff without being great at anything, but he's dogged and determined and we're going to need that this season. Anyone who doesn't see that is kidding themselves.

Is he going to be a key part of the next grat promotion chasng side? probably not. Is he vital to this rams side? yes.

Edited by RadioactiveWaste