Roos - could he have done better?

Taribo

The cross was so difficult to defend. We were chasing their forwards back towards our goal and two of their forwards had a clear header to go for.

The big guy was the obvious target, we should have had a player looking at him to block his path. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/08/2021 at 23:08, DavesaRam said:

If you remember we had a number of injury problems, with none of our strikers deemed capable of 90 minutes. We had Waghorn and Marriott, who at the time were banging the goals in, and we had Nugent and Bennett, who weren't.

Frank chose to start with Nugent and Bennett, with the only reason being using Bennett's strength to batter their central defenders. We played all right, keeping Grealish very quiet, but were behind to a couple of really lucky goals. It was crying out for him to bring our goal threat on because, as expected, Nugent and Bennett hadn't provided much up front. Sadly the substitutions came way too late. We actually scored within minutes of them coming on, and Villa were considering changing their shorts form brown ones, but it was too late. 

I cannot see any sense in starting a match in a way that may leave you trying to rescue it later on, but that is exactly what we did. Neither is there any sense in going for the rescue when it is way to late to complete the task. But that is exactly what Frank did. Seeing how scared Villa were when Waggy and Jack came on, Just what would have happened if we had actually started with our goal scorers, and left the duffers to see the match out? I think the game would have been over before half-time in our favour.

Even bringing the goal getters on just after half-time would have been enough, but he delayed it toooooo late.

WHY?

They weren’t lucky goals, they were a result of defensive errors. Roos should never have been in goal - he seemed incapable ,at the time, of catching a ball. I agree, team selection for the game was woeful.

1 hour ago, Arsene Titman said:

They weren’t lucky goals, they were a result of defensive errors. Roos should never have been in goal - he seemed incapable ,at the time, of catching a ball. I agree, team selection for the game was woeful.

Talking nonsense there. 

Roos was brought in because Carson seemed incapable commanding his area in the first half of the season. Roos came in and commanded his area caught crossed played out from the back and made some really good saves. As a matter of fact without him Leeds would have been in the final. 
The final mistake IMO haunted him in the Cocu seasons and he needed a sustained period out of the squad. 
Hopefully he can put that to bed now and go back to the goalkeeper he was for that period under Lamps 

16 hours ago, DCFC27 said:

Talking nonsense there. 

Roos was brought in because Carson seemed incapable commanding his area in the first half of the season. Roos came in and commanded his area caught crossed played out from the back and made some really good saves. As a matter of fact without him Leeds would have been in the final. 
The final mistake IMO haunted him in the Cocu seasons and he needed a sustained period out of the squad. 
Hopefully he can put that to bed now and go back to the goalkeeper he was for that period under Lamps 

There is no mistake in the final , McGinn said in an interview afterwards he thought he fouled the keeper and was surprised when the ref didnt blow his whistle , ive watched it back and i agree he was fouled.

17 hours ago, DCFC27 said:

Talking nonsense there. 

You obviousley didn't see his performance away at Fulham then, I did...woefull is being kind, We lost 3 nil

3 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

Really!

Yep I have not watched that back - we played with no left back - with Huddlestone playing his first game for ages and our two centre forwards not fit enough to start - meanwhile villa scored of a shoulder after Bogle was ball watching and Roos should have easily have dealt with the second one and with another 5 minutes we probably win that 

2 hours ago, SFox1993 said:

There is no mistake in the final , McGinn said in an interview afterwards he thought he fouled the keeper and was surprised when the ref didnt blow his whistle , ive watched it back and i agree he was fouled.

Whatever is said, you don’t catch a ball like that. First thing your taught as a kid is to catch it as high as possible. 

19 hours ago, DCFC27 said:

Talking nonsense there. 

Roos was brought in because Carson was injured - When Carson was fit again Lampard said the shirt stayed with Roos until he proved not worthy of it

I personally blame Lampard for us losing Carson cos he should have been given the number 1 jersey right back - Not as good distribution or individual saves but overall a more steady keeper and one who the defence had confidence in

That said - Two old heads at CB shouldn't be flustered so maybe having Roos in there isn't a problem now

1 hour ago, Sparkle said:

Yep I have not watched that back - we played with no left back - with Huddlestone playing his first game for ages and our two centre forwards not fit enough to start - meanwhile villa scored of a shoulder after Bogle was ball watching and Roos should have easily have dealt with the second one and with another 5 minutes we probably win that 

Also we got hammered twice by Villa that season - They were comfortably better than us all season long and heavy favourites going into that game - The fact we nearly took the game to extra time showed a vast improvement compared to the previous games against them

Carson played in goal and Marriott started both games in the league ?‍♂️

19 hours ago, DCFC27 said:

Talking nonsense there. 

He is not talking nonsense.

Yes, Carson, a seasoned veteran, had a bad spell but would have worked his way through it. In my opinion, Roos' distribution was shocking - dallying on the ball, many scuffed clearances, etc. There were many simple crosses he flapped at and generally, was a backwards step. He was and is, in my opinion, extremely poor. 

Of all the keepers we've had, I've never been so nervous. He's not great at anything (e.g. Taylor was a great shot-stopper, Poom great on crosses, etc) and isn't even reliable so I'm really not sure what he brings. I'd rather have a solid stopper than a flappy, inconsistent over-confident 'playmaker'.  

7 minutes ago, DCFC27 said:

That’s under cocu. What’s your point? 

My point is Roos didn't and still doesn't command his area, Huddersfield goal from the freekick, Addmittedly it was  swung in with pace, But he was caught in the headlights, Never moved off his line.

He's a good shot stopper, But when it comes to commanding his area and crosses where bodies are concerned there's plenty of scope to improve, The faux Pah at Peterboro where a 25 yarder almost went through him sent shudders up my spine.

4 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

My point is Roos didn't and still doesn't command his area, Huddersfield goal from the freekick, Addmittedly it was  swung in with pace, But he was caught in the headlights, Never moved off his line.

He's a good shot stopper, But when it comes to commanding his area and crosses where bodies are concerned there's plenty of scope to improve, The faux Pah at Peterboro where a 25 yarder almost went through him sent shudders up my spine.

My point is that he was pretty good at it until play off final. The error seems to have scarred him 

4 minutes ago, DCFC27 said:

My point is that he was pretty good at it until play off final. The error seems to have scarred him 

There's an old adage "you have to be crazy to be a goalkeeper", It was said that Peter Shilton would save a team 20 points a season, Well that was his job, If a striker misses an opportunity nothing is recorded, If a keeper makes a ricket then a goal is very likely.

The pairing of Davis and Jagielka will I hope give him more confidence, Talking to him and coaching him will make him better, There's a decent keeper in there somewhere, Unfortunately the Wembley goal will forever be there.

3 hours ago, Raich Carter said:

He is not talking nonsense.

Yes, Carson, a seasoned veteran, had a bad spell but would have worked his way through it. In my opinion, Roos' distribution was shocking - dallying on the ball, many scuffed clearances, etc. There were many simple crosses he flapped at and generally, was a backwards step. He was and is, in my opinion, extremely poor. 

Of all the keepers we've had, I've never been so nervous. He's not great at anything (e.g. Taylor was a great shot-stopper, Poom great on crosses, etc) and isn't even reliable so I'm really not sure what he brings. I'd rather have a solid stopper than a flappy, inconsistent over-confident 'playmaker'.  

If Carson had played against Villa we would be in the top flight now, Mel wouldn’t be scrambling around trying to find some used car salesman to buy the club and Roos would be playing for Wigan. 

25 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

If Carson had played against Villa we would be in the top flight now, Mel wouldn’t be scrambling around trying to find some used car salesman to buy the club and Roos would be playing for Wigan. 

If Carson had played over Roos in that second half of the season we wouldn't have even been in the final. He was a complete donkey under Lampard.