Roos - could he have done better?

Taribo

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

No way would a top keeper have thrown himself into that crowd of incoming players at a whipped ball delivered at pace. You want the keeper to be about where Sarr is? 

image.thumb.png.a250bdcfbbcbf62cb8e5ec767c244197.png

The distance of travel and height and pace on the ball makes it perfectly possible to come and either collect or punch. 

Great delivery, pace and bend, would be hoping a defender could get a head on that if anything. Saddens me that Roos will continue to be picked apart because of this scapegoat tag he has been attached. For me he is 1st choice currently over Marshall, and no doubt considerably cheaper.

It was a great ball in and a giant headed it in - it will happen again ! 

Lets not get on about zonal marking and man for man marking - we mark zonally for a reason, we are a small side and we have to have height in key places otherwise the opposition just move the tall players out of the way of an area where the ball gets delivered to another tall player. 

I would actually like to see us leave two players up front from corners ( although this wasn’t a corner) just to keep 3 opposing players away and give us a chance of breaking on the opponent 

19 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

I was right behind the goal and that cross was hit with so much pace and whip. Got to say how did they pick that Thomas lad up from non - league ? He caused problems all day. Good recruitment

It requires scouts to go and watch games in person. I’m not sure we have the resources or inclination to do that. 

52 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

Arguably MOTM yesterday and people still bashing Roos, both on here and on Twitter. Why focus on the keeper who couldn't really do much and not the awful defending from set pieces? 

Because ‘WeMbLeY’

He could be in the championship team of the year and it wouldn’t be enough for a lot of our fans.

some people need to realise we are a mid table championship team… he’s more than good enough for where we are at the minute. 

What about that chance in the second half from the corner when the guy bulleted a header over the bar when it was easier to score? Roos was rooted to his line then as well. And the ball was well within the 6 yard box, he didn't even move to claim the ball. 

Just an observation not a criticism. Thought he did well with his save using his feet when the guy was through on goal second half also. 

Edited by Tyler Durden

Not sure I'd be blaming Roos for the goal tbh. Ideally, positionally he wouldn't have been right on his line so he'd have had more of an option to come and collect  but the ball had plenty of pace and whip on it which felt like that option was eradicated. He made an excellent save against Campbell and dealt well with some balls that came in and had a very good game. I thought he'd made another great save in the second half but turns out Davies dealt with it by flinging a leg out. 

For the goal I don’t think he was at fault, but there were a few times he should have been coming for the ball and didn’t.  I was sat level with the 18 yard box, and second half really noticed how hesitant he is coming for the ball. The size of him, he should dominate his penalty area, but he just doesn’t. 

It’s definitely his weakness, and in a league where a lot of teams will just punt balls into the box, it could be an issue. He’s a good shot stopper, and his kicking was decent yesterday. I don’t know if it’s confidence, technique, timing or what, but if he could command that area and come for crosses he’d be a good keeper.

20 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

For the goal I don’t think he was at fault, but there were a few times he should have been coming for the ball and didn’t.  I was sat level with the 18 yard box, and second half really noticed how hesitant he is coming for the ball. The size of him, he should dominate his penalty area, but he just doesn’t. 

It’s definitely his weakness, and in a league where a lot of teams will just punt balls into the box, it could be an issue. He’s a good shot stopper, and his kicking was decent yesterday. I don’t know if it’s confidence, technique, timing or what, but if he could command that area and come for crosses he’d be a good keeper.

It is strange one with Kelle has Eric Steele said one of the reasons they signed him was how he dominated his box and how he would come and claim crosses and dead balls. 

It could be the number of keeper coaches we have had over the time he has been here asking for different things. 

I’d prefer to dwell on the punch he did in the second half. Old Roos would have punched out to the D and caused a big problem… New ROOOOOOOS got a great well timed punch in and knocked it some distance out to his left and out of the danger area. That and the excellent right boot save when he’d been sent the wrong way. Think he had a great game . The ball in for the goal was a dream delivery well taken by the scorer.