Roos - could he have done better?

Taribo

I’m no Roos hater and actually fairly ok with him as our No.1 this season. Rewatching their goal yesterday I can’t make my mind up if Roos should have come out or if it was just a perfect ball into the box? I’m interested to know from people who know more about goalkeeping than me whether he should have come out for it or whether it looked a bit too far out of reach?

Defenders obviously could have done better. 

I didn’t watch the full game but, from watching the highlights it seems from a lot of their set pieces he doesn’t seem to come and punch some when he maybe should. 

However, it did seem he was being blocked quite a lot, a tactic which set piece teams tend to use quite heavily when they feel a goalkeeper isn’t comfortably from crosses. 

That said, I like Roos and think he deserves another shot at number 1.

My initial though was the keeper could have got it. But it's Roos, and that isn't his strength, it would have looked far worse had he gone for it and got nowhere near it. We just have to accept that Roos isn't so good with crosses but has other qualities like being fine shot stopper. The bigger concern is there was no defender challenging for the ball.

I was more worried when he jumped and caught a looping ball in his chest, it gave me a horrible Wembley flashback even though he was unchallanged.

Edited by Shipley Ram
Wembley comment

The way I see it is that if a keeper doesn't come for a cross on or inside the six yard box they are rendering themselves redundant in the event of an opposition player attacking the ball. 

There is little chance they could save an effort on goal from there. 

If they do go for the cross they can at least put the opponent off and it's easier to get your body between the header and the goal if you don't get to the cross. 

A six foot four keeper with a big wing span has every advantage. 

3 minutes ago, Ramslad1992 said:

Here we go again ?‍♂️

if he had come for it and missed everyone would be slating him. It was a great ball in.

His positioning wasn’t that bad and after the header it’s pure luck where it ends up.

I get your point on criticism, especially on here! 

The other plus of going for the cross is the high likelihood of getting a foul off any opponent who gets in his way. 

Watched it a few times a top goalkeeper would have come and caught the ball in. What Kelle is, is a competent keeper at this level, what would not have helped was not knowing who the central defenders would be till just before the game. 

Curtis summed it up with the interview saying they had not had time to work on defending set pieces. So now they have a idea who is here decisions maybe different next time. 

Just now, Rambalin said:

Watched it a few times a top goalkeeper would have come and caught the ball in. What Kelle is, is a competent keeper at this level, what would not have helped was not knowing who the central defenders would be till just before the game. 

No way would a top keeper have thrown himself into that crowd of incoming players at a whipped ball delivered at pace. You want the keeper to be about where Sarr is? 

image.thumb.png.a250bdcfbbcbf62cb8e5ec767c244197.png

The goal was caused by zonal marking, not poor goalkeeping. We formed a line and no one picked up Sarr. As the free kick was about to be taken, he was goalside of all our players in that area. He stepped level as the kick was taken and pretty much trotted in unopposed to meet the ball.

Admittedly, it was well hit free kick and a good header, which might have resulted in a goal even with proper marking, but we effectively gave them that goal. Interestingly,Curtis marked him for every set piece afterwards.