Derby 10K

RamLad1884

Get used to being out on the road for an hour. Don’t worry about distance to begin with. Go out for an hour and run/walk as much as you can in the time.

Gradually build up the running proportion.

Get a watch/phone app that measures your progress. 

Don’t get too down on yourself after ‘poor’ run. You will need those amongst the good ones. Congratulate yourself instead for having got out there.

On the day, try not to get caught up in the mad dash for space at the start. So easy to run too fast in the first mile and spoil your run later on.

Keep hydrated and run empty as far as toileting is concerned. 

Good luck!

8 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Get used to being out on the road for an hour. Don’t worry about distance to begin with. Go out for an hour and run/walk as much as you can in the time.

Gradually build up the running proportion.

Get a watch/phone app that measures your progress. 

Don’t get too down on yourself after ‘poor’ run. You will need those amongst the good ones. Congratulate yourself instead for having got out there.

On the day, try not to get caught up in the mad dash for space at the start. So easy to run too fast in the first mile and spoil your run later on.

Keep hydrated and run empty as far as toileting is concerned. 

Good luck!

I run a lot... And I've always read that advice about running for time not distance, so it must be right... 

But I find the opposite motivates me. If I know I am going to be running for 60 mins regardless, I find it disheartening. I choose to run 4 miles, 5miles whatever to build up distance but with no pressure to be 'quick' but I know the sooner I'm done the better! 

In general though, I do the opposite to what the books say!! I would use your car to measure 1, 2, 3 miles from your house and build up to running the full 3 miles there and back. (or use your phone if you want to go cross country and download Strava app or similar which will measure for you). Mentally I prefer to know I'm heading home rather than driving somewhere after. 

My tactic is to go at different times of the day so you are able to respond to different situations. I think you need to go and run when you aren't 100%, when you are tired, aren't really ready... So I also don't take tons of water, or buy all the best gear and do tons of stretches  or only run after I have eaten the perfect meal etc. This means I am able to run the distance with ease, then on the day I suddenly feel the benefit when it all comes together. 

Edited by Chester40

Been running for a couple or three years now have done a few 10k events, very good advice given already. 

I'd also say don't try and rip the arse out of things when you first start and build yourself up gradually to let your body become used to a form of exercise it's not accustomed to.

Do stretching and bending exercises before your runs to lessen the likelihood of injuries. Leave gaps between training days to allow your body to rest up and recuperate. Worst thing you can do is overdo things and injure yourself meaning you won't be able to do any training whatsoever until you've recovered. 

Go and get yourself a compilation of decent tunes you enjoy listening to make a running playlist. Can get decent free running apps like Strava which I use to track your progress on app stores. 

On the day of the race choose an appropriate place in the starting field according to your best times unless the event automatically designates places according to the information on times that you've provided them. Start too close to the front and you'll get overtaken very quickly by the expert runners and start too close to the back and you'll get caught up in the traffic with the slower runners.

It's not a crime to have to stop if you're not feeling it and have a rest for a bit, first objective is to finish the race. If you carry on running in events then you can build on that. 

as has already been said, keep hydrated, take salt tablets too, buy a backpack to carry water or handheld water bottles. Find a decent podcast that will last an hour or more and just get out and run It, It will surprise you how not that far 10k is. 
Other advice if you are truly worried about the distance would be sign up for a 5k or maybe a couple just to get used to running with other people in a race environment to stop yourself getting carried away.

also, tell everyone you know you are doing It, the pressure you put on yourself doing this is motivation to get out there in the crappy nights when you don’t want to. 

If I’m training for a long race then I tend to do training runs along the most mind numbingly boring routes. That way when it’s race day and there’s lots to distract your from the pain it’sa lot easier and nicer! 

My tips would be to run the way that the good lord and yourself and loved ones around you taught you how to run through the experience of life.

So when you were born, you worked out how to walk and you eventually got better at walking and eventually got faster at it, and you may or may not of tried a few running exercises at school through trying various sports and again, you will know your  body the best from how many sports you have tried and what you were comfortable doing and how much you pushed yourself.

I would advise not to be confused by the modern world of books, cars, watches, gadgets, bags, and all the other clutter that modern day runners choose to confuse you with, because I've watched many sporting events in my life and I have never seen any of these things run a race, never mind win it, and when I watch the marathons on the TV and the like, the best runners generally come from countries where athletes have learnt to be good runners through hardship in their surroundings and having to put the hard work in, and that is what it takes.

The main factors that can help you to walk, and run well, is for you, and only you, to simply go and do it as much as you can, when you want too, and for as long as you want too.

Your mind, your body, and whether you gain the experience from doing 1 mile at a time, and building it up, to adding some other sports into the mix, to build up your fitness, cycling, swimming, football, squash, cricket, rugby, whatever, then, before you know it, a 10k run, becomes a walk in the park.

Other life experiences of running after a load of away fans at the footie, or running for a bus, train, running away from the coppers, a malicious dog when delivering the post, running around the streets sticking bins on the back of a bin lorry etc and all the rest, also help many folk to become good at running.

And more importantly enjoy it............because if you don't enjoy it..............don't bother doing it.

21 hours ago, RamLad1884 said:

Saw the Derby 10K has been announced for this October from its usual April slot and (maybe stupidly) signed up for this year's run. 

Anyone else signed up for it? Any seasoned runners with tips? 

I would start by running 5K, just join your local parkrun, they are free and there will certainly be one near to you. You will probably find it easier running with others than on your own. Then also commit to a couple of runs in the week. You will soon find that 10k will be fairly comfortable. Running clubs are not just for the elite runners. Look at a local running club through Jog Derbyshire, they are free to run with and go out at least twice a week.

This time next year you will be thinking hmmmm! I might just sign up for the Derby half. ? 

7 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

The best tip ever… embrace the walking. Don’t beat yourself up about walking. 

Again...exactly the opposite of what I feel, which answers the main question really, you need to find what motivates you to be able to keep going and going...whether it be raising money, losing weight, getting fitter/faster, running further. 

As soon as I start walking I feel defeated,  so as long as I am running at any speed at all I count that as a victory. 

I'm not sure what motivates other people, but I have to have a target in mind. Just finishing isn't enough. I enter with a time in mind and its usually a bit faster than I can manage in training. I run with my mate occasionally and his mentality is different completely. He wants a nice route, nice weather...the journey itself is what he enjoys. So he is a much happier runner, he will drive somewhere for the scenery, with a nice coffee shop at the end. 

I'm weirdly all about the sacrifice. Setting my alarm early, going in horrible weather, suffering up hills. I get a smug feeling of satisfaction that I went out in the pouring rain, that I left a heavy night's drinking early so I don't feel ill and then hit the road early on a Sunday morning. It's the effort that makes it feel like a challenge. Then on the day when you are properly rested and prepared, you just find another gear and towards the end of the race you can't believe how fast you are and want to go again. If you do it half-heartedly you will think 'yeh that was ok, not too hard' and you will tick it off your list and not do it again. I'm generally looking at the next challenge, the next race I can test myself against (whether it be longer, hillier) ...I'm buzzing because I have put the hours in and earned my reward. It's that competition with yourself which separates those who want to do it again and again from those who do it for other people (to prove they can do it maybe). 

I run several times a week now and podcasts are a godsend. I just switch off and slowly jog listening to something informative. 

4 hours ago, Chester40 said:

Again...exactly the opposite of what I feel, which answers the main question really, you need to find what motivates you to be able to keep going and going...whether it be raising money, losing weight, getting fitter/faster, running further. 

As soon as I start walking I feel defeated,  so as long as I am running at any speed at all I count that as a victory. 

I'm not sure what motivates other people, but I have to have a target in mind. Just finishing isn't enough. I enter with a time in mind and its usually a bit faster than I can manage in training. I run with my mate occasionally and his mentality is different completely. He wants a nice route, nice weather...the journey itself is what he enjoys. So he is a much happier runner, he will drive somewhere for the scenery, with a nice coffee shop at the end. 

I'm weirdly all about the sacrifice. Setting my alarm early, going in horrible weather, suffering up hills. I get a smug feeling of satisfaction that I went out in the pouring rain, that I left a heavy night's drinking early so I don't feel ill and then hit the road early on a Sunday morning. It's the effort that makes it feel like a challenge. Then on the day when you are properly rested and prepared, you just find another gear and towards the end of the race you can't believe how fast you are and want to go again. If you do it half-heartedly you will think 'yeh that was ok, not too hard' and you will tick it off your list and not do it again. I'm generally looking at the next challenge, the next race I can test myself against (whether it be longer, hillier) ...I'm buzzing because I have put the hours in and earned my reward. It's that competition with yourself which separates those who want to do it again and again from those who do it for other people (to prove they can do it maybe). 

I run several times a week now and podcasts are a godsend. I just switch off and slowly jog listening to something informative. 

I get all that but was coming at it from a new to running point of view.

I only run ultra marathons so walking is part and parcel of It, as soon as you beat yourself up about walking then you are done so when I go running I have to train with walking involved and figured so should someone training for their first 10k 

Best motivation I had was running with a mate who was an ex squaddie who thought he was still on the parade ground and screamed at me if I slowed down.

We once ran through a gypsy camp at Doveridge having a blazing argument, effing and blinding each other with dogs barking and members of the travelling community hiding little children from us.

Well done.

I started jogging again after ten years or so of getting fat around november last year.

There's a lot of good advice above. I'd just say from my experience (and I don't know what kind of level you're starting from - i started with couth to 5k and it worked well for me) but build yourself up gradually, try to have a goal at the end of each week whch is just a bit further/longer than the week before.

The other thing I'd add is do listen to your body, it takes a bit of getting used to, but you'll find you start to get into tune whith when you're feeling good, when things are too much and so on. Don't try to power through too much in the early phases, you as likely to set yourself up for a setback and lose heart.

And my ambition was to run the Great Glasgow Run (half Marathon) in October, but it's been cancelled.

But I did get an email saying the Derby Half Marathon on 28th November is going ahead so I signed up for that. If anyone else si doing the Derby Half, let me know.

A bit different but I’m doing the london marathon for my daughter this year.

i’ve ran 10k’s before but these days get knackered running a bath. 

ive found going for distance rather than time to be my best target… for example run 10 miles. Doesn’t matter how long it takes but run 10 miles. 

I think diet is key as well, since I’ve been training I’ve cut our most (but not all!) alcohol and junk food. Feel 100x better for it.

On 07/08/2021 at 17:09, Ramslad1992 said:

A bit different but I’m doing the london marathon for my daughter this year.

i’ve ran 10k’s before but these days get knackered running a bath. 

ive found going for distance rather than time to be my best target… for example run 10 miles. Doesn’t matter how long it takes but run 10 miles. 

I think diet is key as well, since I’ve been training I’ve cut our most (but not all!) alcohol and junk food. Feel 100x better for it.

Cutting out junk food and alcohol will always make you feel 100% better that so for sure. 
I think that’s the best advice actually, do what works for you, experiment with running for time and running for distance and see which one you prefer. 
for the marathon, don’t be too phased by It, I have run the London marathon a bunch of times, It is without doubt the easiest marathon to run ever, It is totally flat, really well organised and the amount of people cheering you on is unbelievable…you will feel like an Olympian. 
Get a vest/top with your name on the front, It makes you feel a million dollars when someone shouts your name. Good luck! You will cream It.