Let's talk about bans, warnings and closing of accounts

David

8 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

Your Clough opinions really used to get me annoyed. Turns out you were probably a little bit right. Just a little bit mind!

Now you are probably my go-to person in the world for TV recommendations.

Weirdly, got into a debate yesterday with a F*rest fan at work (my last day today) here up Sherwood Park. He came bounding over to say “watch Mansfield this season”. I scoffed and said “for what?”. He then told me Nigel did a great job at Derby and Sheff United. Clough consistently got Derby in the play-offs and saved Sheff United! ?

I said that I’d give Nigel a PL job cos he’s mid-table wherever-whatever and a team like Palace would continue to be what they are with him. But he’ll never exceed expectations again in the league. 

4 hours ago, Grumpy Git said:

Oh the cheek!

Haha, I wasn't trying to be mean!  When a big game like Football Manager launched you could get the best part of 100k users online at the same time, it was a nightmare lol. 

This is a pretty big forum imo, but if you've watched long enough you can still work out the small groups that have formed, who belongs to what clique and those that don't particularly like someone else - the point I was trying to make was if you don't know whose who and those groups are allowed a little more leniency than the rest, it can become a nightmare applying guidelines with an consistency. 

I'm not saying the mods do a bad job, but it is something to be aware of as the forum grows bigger and something that becomes naturally difficult to avoid as the cliques become more tight-knit and have more 'banter' with themselves. 

Your house your rules. It’s not hard is is it?

some people really are ignorant cretins. You don’t walk in someone’s house and start slagging them off cos they insist on you taking your shoes off before walking on the new carpet. And you don’t get invited back by standing outside the front door shouting at them. 

I got a ban once for calling someone a purple helmet (or other word for it) - I did it in jest and through the medium of gifs, I actually thought it was very funny (it was) and that's really the only reason I post on here, to amuse myself. I didn't agree with it but it matters not coz it ain't my playground. The sun came up the next day, the world didn't stop spinning and I came back after serving my time.

The bit that just befuddles me is how personally people take it - I know that some people are friends outside this forum, and some have become friends because of this forum. Huzzah to that. But, for me, you are all just faceless avatars and I am nothing more than a sheep related take on an old English word for testicles. There's nothing to take offence at with me, I don't exist and neither do you. Therefore, let it ride.......

Edited by BaaLocks

12 hours ago, maxjam said:

I've got no issue with the moderating on this forum tbh, I've done it before myself and its a tricky job.

I read pretty much every thread and have noticed several cliques and banter between friends which can sometimes sometimes feels like a private conversation that you don't want to interrupt - but that is always going to happen tbh with a long running forum. 

The bit about consistency you raise with regards to treating long time members, is a tricky line to walk - but understandable.  At Sega we had a policy of treating everyone exactly the same whether they had 5 posts or 50k posts.  It must be difficult with a smaller forum however, especially one that members meet up to watch matches. 

I personally don't have a problem with the moderation, certainly not outside the old Politcs and Coronavirus thread (which should be viewed in isolation!) but I'm pretty chilled out, I can see why some people might feel harshly done by though.  If you're not a long time member or don't spot the banter between mates you could easily step out of line from time to time.  As I said, tricky line to walk.

Only if I get one as well, although as a tie breaker the person that has not reacted to being called a nazi or fascist the most times takes the prize ?

I hear you on consistency and agree with you, whilst at the same time thinking for a community this size where we don’t have an influx of members dropping in and out the forum, having a bit of leniency at times is the way to go.

If it reached the size of Sega where the small community vibe had gone and we barely had chance to put our own opinions out there, we would probably handle it different.

Another example I would throw out there is courts, if you have no criminal record, first offence, you’re likely to be treated a lot differently to someone with a criminal record as long as their arm.

Whilst that analogy doesn’t truly translate, it’s just another area in life where you’re treated differently due to circumstances.

Just to say I do appreciate the replies, I didn’t have to say anything you’re right, but I consider myself an “active” admin who is part of the community, where as others choose to remain fairly anonymous on other forums.

From time to time situations arise where I think, I’ll go out there, be open, transparent, you know who I am, not someone you hear from once every 6 months and by being that way it keeps the respect between members and moderation team working both ways.

13 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

When is the vote on Mr Popodopulus having his ban lifted?

Now here’s a prime example of someone that is simply not suitable for this forum, ever.

He needs a restraining order for his own health.

2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

When you was younger did you never used to prod insects with a stick?

You have to remember, me and Boycie actually met on the Forest forum, winding up some of their fans.

I’m a reformed character now, older, wiser and better looking some would say (my mum).